1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

American Teacher Stabbed To Death In Abu Dhabi Restroom

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mathloom, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

MORE at link

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/03/american-teacher-stabbed_n_6260230.html

Video released by police:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NbM3izAFXpw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Notes (I should do more research about these, but just off the top of my head):

- If what the authorities are saying is true, it would be one of the first of this type of case in the UAE.

- Homicide is extremely rare in the UAE. Cameras are everywhere and everyone knows that. Security is super tight. Police on call all the time. Surveillance is best in the world I would say, partly because the population is so small and the resources and motive so huge.

- Executions are very rare in the UAE. I'm currently trying to figure out if any female has ever been executed here in the past 43 years.

- Important to note the UAE has actively been involved in various military campaigns in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and Libya. These efforts have really accelerated in the last few years.

- Another important event which may or may not be related is the UAE crackdown on the activists who requested greater power for the Federal National Council during the Arab Spring. These activists - judges, lawyers, professors, and other citizens - were later deemed to be Muslim Brotherhood agents with plans to launch attacks in the UAE. We have not seen any evidence of this, the trials were heavily controlled and the defendants claimed they did not get appropriate legal counsel or treatment. Truth is, we know very little and we're told that's in protection of national security and our own best interest. It is very interesting for me to know if this woman is affiliated with the Brotherhood.

- Following the trial of those activists, there has been a heavy handed government effort to denounce high levels of religiosity, and also a huge effort (with the aid of massive US public relations firms) to promote nationalism (UAE national day was two days ago).

- The UAE and Qatar have had shaky relations over the last couple of years due to differences regarding the treatment of Muslim Brotherhood members. I don't know if it's related at all, but UAE and Qatar have started to mend the relationship and I wonder if members of the Muslim Brotherhood would have a motive to disrupt the improvement of relations between the two countries.

- The face veil is not common attire in the UAE, especially not in Abu Dhabi. Maybe 15% of women. Among those who wear it, many are young women who are avoiding being seen by their families in public.

- Obsessive drive by authorities to point out that the woman was veiled, even inventing a nickname for the murderer.

- Most of what is known about this case is relayed only through the authorities. If history is any indication, the woman will never speak to anyone or have any semblance of legal counsel because the UAE authorities place a high value on national security.

Very sad to hear this news. Trying to keep my opinion out of it as much as possible. Frankly, I'm a bit shaken up because I live in the next building. I eat there 4-5 times a week. The only thing cheering me up is the choice of music in the video.

1 person likes this.
  2. rudan

rudan Member

Horrible, that criminal is an animal. Outlaw that crappy Muslim garb.

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Those full body things freak me the f out, especially the ones that doesn't even show their eyes, they are like giant pointy cones walking around

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I read about this and was thinking that there must be some secret service backstory to this. It just seems too weird and random otherwise.

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Why do they have the Dark Knight theme song playing...strange. Regardless...The UAE is super strict with this kinda stuff. They will most likely catch this individual for sure.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

After watching the video, I think this was a man.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Yeah, pretty awful. RIP.

There has been a rise in attacks in the middle east again against westerners. They appear to be isolated, but happening all around the same time....causing a scare.

A Canadian was attacked with a knife at a mall in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia the other day. He survived, and is recovering in the hospital.

But this one in the UAE really surprises me.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The music made the Sith Lord's attack very exciting.

9. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

10. Exiled

Exiled Member

I was always amused how Dubai,UAE and Gulf.C.C states are quick to find criminals ...

If you remember this incident , when Mossad agents killed a Palestinian in Dubai a few years back and did't take the authorities long before solving a very complicated task
    Code:
    http://youtu.be/TLtHaAKjF1U

11. downbytheriver

Cmon brother, don't be naive.

They don't want to look weak so they'll come up with anything to pacify public fear. Do not for a second think they are beyond framing someone and planting evidence to keep foreigners coming into the country. This killing was carried out by a man, who fled easily using an Islamic disguise--- and of course they didn't have any camera's in the parking lot where the getaways actually happen.

The killers are STILL OUT AT LARGE, planning their next attack. brainwashed by isis and islam, of course. they're just pawns anyways.

12. Exiled

Exiled Member

If you were once accused of being smart, they 'll set you free for lack of evidence

13. downbytheriver

Yup. The UAE knows this as well--- but they don't want controversy over the full body suit to arise. They want to make it seem like its very easy to identify and find a "female" killer using the garb as a disguise. Pathetic..

14. downbytheriver

why don't you run me through how the uae caught this "isolated case"... lol.

15. Exiled

Exiled Member

Camera caught a car with a hidden plate (Nissan SUV )in the parking area belong to the suspect .

The auto plates they use has a magnetic chips that can be remotely identified

16. downbytheriver

WE get that's what the press release said.

WE get they got a vehicle with plates coming out of a garage.

But did you think for a second...... that the killer didn't actually enter said vehicle? You just see a line flashing across you on the news of an APPREHENDED YEMENI SUSPECT, of course she's not from the UAE, and go along happily. Only time will tell, the next 6 months in particular, if the cover ups can keep going. This kind of propaganda [(to the dot)] has been used throughout the ages to pacify civilian fears.

17. Exiled

Exiled Member

Dubai will prosecute the criminal and most likely put a sever punchment.

On other hand, there is a similar crime took place in 2003 , the suspect was't found though the victim died by a bulldozer run over , the israeli's official condemned the victim:(

[​IMG]

18. downbytheriver

Of course they will.She's one of "them" ,not one of "us". The UAE is still a very safe place folks, go back to your homes and keeps pending all your money here. Only a Yemeni or Saudi would be driven to murder. While I don't know what the nationality of the suspect was, and it really doesn't matter, I do know they are following a textbook cover up with everything they've released to the media.
    Keeping a VERY close eye on stories out of there in the next 6 months.

19. Exiled

Exiled Member

I go often to Jeddah, Dubai and such places. In Dubai the population of citizen v. Foreigner is about 1 :10 , so basically it's more likely a crime would be carried by a non citizen. The government there operate as a corporate were profits and progress is a priority I agree with you. But they are far from being ideologist .

http://electronicintifada.net/conte...r-driver-murders-american-peace-activist/4449

20. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Do you have any evidence for these conspiracies of yours? I'm not saying cover ups haven't happened across the world. I just like to see some reasonable basis for concluding that instead of the usual internet/armchair quarterback declarations.

Keeping foreigners from out of the UAE? Have you ever stepped foot in the country? You have a tendency to grossly misjudge countries in the Muslim world and the conditions on the ground there i.e. like the Pakistan thread and pilots flying into Karachi.