1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

American Professional Soccer Expansion

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by The Voice of Reason, Oct 28, 2003.

1. The Voice of Reason

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/index?ver=us&cc=5901
    Or should I say Mexican Soccer Expands into America :)

San Diego is most likely the location, but Houston is listed as a possibility. If they go to Houston the U of H would likely ebthe location as the MLS rights belong to McNair in Reliant stadium, and I cannot see him giving those up.

I am just glad MLS is getting another Investor. especially with a built in fan base.

Goats to San Diego.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

This is the funny part

"We are convinced that a Mexican team is what the MLS needs," he said. "A team as popular as Chivas could really dominate, become the team with the most support in the league."

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I used to work in Guadalajara, where the Chivas are from. They have legendary support in Mexico and are considered probably the second most storied team there besides America, from Mexico City.

4. The Voice of Reason

Texx,

an interesting side note is that America is considering joining the league as well. the above linked article has a blurb at the end, but I know they have also been in talks with San Antonio about an expansion team.

I think it would be great, to have both join, but 2 Mexican teams would be enough.

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Does anybody besides Americans take MLS seriously?

6. goophers

goophers Member

Do Americans take MLS seriously? :D

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

my friend plays in the league. its kind of cool i started playing with him when i was 5 years old.

:D

8. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Not that I'm aware of.

9. The Voice of Reason

Well not most fans, but the Worlds top teams scout MLS heavily

3 top English teams have American keepers for example.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

VOR,

Fridek, Keller, and Howard, right?

Ah man....I can't believe I know that.

DD

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Fridek = Fridel of course.

12. The Voice of Reason

yup

those are our Boys.

Friedel was actually awarded the honor of being the Prem League goal keeper of the year.

He is a MLS product. Howard is another MLS product, and now starts for Manchester United. the biggest team in England and possibly the world in popularity terms. not bad for a kid with terets

13. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

MLS to Europeans is just like Euro Basket is to us - a proving ground of sorts for the young to develop their game and a source of recruiting, or a place to ship off old stars that are way past their prime.

14. pchan

pchan Member

I actually hope the mls will contract... I am tired of all these mls games on tv.. why can't they play some premier league football... or spanish league.. or the champion league games., other than with read madrid in it...
    It is ridiculous that a regular season match on the english fa league is 20 dollars pay per vieW!