1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

American police shoot, kill and imprison more people than other developed countries. Here's the data

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Jun 8, 2020.

1. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Why is that? It’s not there is more criminals here in the US than everywhere else. The whole justice system and the way policing has to change. There should be no reason why more people are incarcerated per capital here than anywhere else. No reason why people die by the hands of police than anywhere else. What is the root of the problem and how do we go about fixing it?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/us/us-police-floyd-protests-country-comparisons-intl/index.html

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

More guns on the street and less training of officers.

Here's data on guns in America compared to some of our allies. When a policeman has to worry every time that he stops someone about that person possibly having a gun and deciding to use it, it tends to lead to more lethal confrontations.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02601-9
    [​IMG]

B-Bob, ThatBoyNick, TheFreak and 2 others like this.
  3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

This is true for the most part. Normal non-violent crimes are comparable to other well-off nations. But when you look at violent crimes (particularly homicide by guns), it's not even close.

https://www.vox.com/2015/8/27/9217163/america-guns-europe

They found, pretty definitively, that the conventional wisdom was wrong. "Rates of common property crimes in the United States are comparable to those reported in many other Western industrial nations, but rates of lethal violence in the United States are much higher," they write. "Violence is not a crime problem."

[​IMG]

AleksandarN and RayRay10 like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

decriminalize drugs and I think the "guns on the street" problem evaporates

JayGoogle and RayRay10 like this.
  5. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Agreed.

JayGoogle and Os Trigonum like this.
  6. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

B-Bob and ThatBoyNick like this.
  7. cebu

cebu Member

[​IMG]

B@ffled likes this.
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I might need you to translate that one, because I'm not sure I get it.

B-Bob and JumpMan like this.
  9. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Meanwhile, child neglect, deaths related to automobile accidents and heavy machinery in general go up.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We simply are uncomparable to highly developed countries when it comes to safety,

Take a good look boys, this is who we are amongst. USA! USA! USA!

B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  11. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Same thing goes with those who'd rather drive than fly to their distinations. Statistically flying is safer but they feel they better have control of the situation driving.

RayRay10 and ThatBoyNick like this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That's not a terrible comparison, statistically, planes a very safe but on a personal level, I can sympathize with being scared of the inhuman action of getting a giant piece of plastic rocketing through the sky. Just like I'm personally scared of the inhuman action of being able to twitch my finger and smash a hole through someone's body within a fraction of a second.

It's definitely clear, countries with our levels of wealth and development simply don't have this many murders, so where did we go wrong?

Two clear things we are also dead last in amongst highly developed countries

Gun culture (the ungodly amount of guns in circulation, as well as the casualness of owning and using a gun)

Inequality and poverty

So we have a **** ton of guns, we are completely wreckless with them, we also have the most inequality, the most poverty.... well no sh*t we have a ridiculously high murder rate.

joshuaao and RayRay10 like this.
  13. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Well this is the most highly populated developed nation with the most inhomogeneous population as well. Can't expect to do as well as the Netherlands or Scandinavian countries when you have tribalism pitting a population against each other.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't really subscribe to that line of thinking, countries like Spain and Canada are more ethnically and culturally diverse, both have nearly 40 million people, Japan has 125 million people yet the lowest murder rate of all countries, so neither size or diversity has a clear relation to murder

.... but guns, poverty, and inequality tho? I see a connection.

15. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I do apologise as that did come out as 'white nationalistic' or 'separatist' but when you are dealing with an extremely highly racially diverse population like the US it is virtually impossible to compete with other countries. You have to understand the historical racial tension of this country since the colonial period that is much different than other countries. These are contributing factors.

#15 Sanctity, Jun 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  16. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

But Canada has the third highest guns per capital in the world yet no where near the amount of deaths by police. This goes beyond just more guns.

https://www.wired.com/story/guns-in-america-five-charts/amp

B-Bob, joshuaao and Corrosion like this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lmao dude 3rd highest doesn't mean **** when we 350% more guns per capita, how can you think that's an honest argument bro?

We are so far away from 2nd it's not in the same ball park. 1.2 guns per 1 person is INSANELY different from 0.35 guns per 1 person.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

US is fairly violent compared to other industrialized countries. Don't feel completely safe in city streets after 1am, nor is it a sane practice to have an illusion of safety at that time. You'd be amazed how some cities elsewhere can have groups of people socializing on the streets at those times on weekdays.

I can kind of see why police become violent when faced with the task of patrolling those areas at night, but I've talked to non-Americans and they're simply disgusted with the power trips and egos our law enforcement has and the overall lost dignity during those encounters.

Other nations, when dealing with the issue of violent city crime, increase the welfare state and combat homelessness by removing them from the streets and into homes, mental institutions or shelters. We have a homelessness epidemic in many high rent cities, yet no one photogenic has gone missing or a tragic death has shown up youtube...yet, so it's lower on our List of Issues.

Mental Health, which both sides agree for particular reasons (enough lip service to prevent gun control but not enough to increase action), is also underfunded and under addressed. There are many competing pressures that divide American workers on empathy, and it slowly wears us down mentally, physically and socially. We're a nation of workaholics even able to label poor people lazy, unskilled or stupid for pulling 2 min wage jobs.

It's fashionable to promote police issues with an agenda to tear it down piece by piece, but they've always been the symptom of our $$$ achievement culture that uses sex and violence as entertainment to offset burning out.

We want quick solutions as fast as the news cycle. ****, better luck waiting for the vaccine than to sit at the table and hash this all out.

RayRay10 and AleksandarN like this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Legalizing drugs doesn't magically change people.

The only person this is going to affect really is the petty street user and he's just trying to get high .... not out killing people.

The real problem is the dealer and legalization will do is move these people on to something else to make easy money.

This is a people problem. We need to fix culture.

That said , I'm pro legalization too but for different reasons - I don't believe the gubmint should be legislating what we put in our bodies - if you wanna shoot speed balls , you should be free to do so.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yup, I don't by into that making a statistically significant difference.

I don't think many Americans realize, America isn't the most culturally and ethnically diverse country in the world, we are less diverse then both of our bordering neighbors yet for some reason think we're the ultimate melting pot, I don't get it lol.

B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.