1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Amazon] The Wheel of Time tv series

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

2. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I've been following this pretty closely. It's probably going to suck, but the showrunners sound like big fans, so maybe it won't?

At least the series is complete before they started working on it, unlike Game of Thrones, so they won't have to deal with not knowing how it's supposed to end lol.

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't have high expectations, but I will definitely watch it at least at the beginning.

4. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Just watched Good Omens and really enjoyed it. If Amazon produces with the same level of quality, it could be good.

Rocket River likes this.
  5. DarkHorse

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I couldn't keep up with Good Omens, because for whatever reason, even though I want to like that style (reminds me of Big Fish with Ewan McGregor... which has solid reviews all around but i just didn't love), I've just never really like it that much. I made it a few episodes. My wife was loving it... so just a stylistic thing where indeed it was done solid.

Also, it's interesting how Amazon goes all out for some of these series. All our recent Amazon purchase shipping boxes are fully decked out with Good Omens marketing.

Relative to Pike... seems like that would be the Moraine character, right?

@DarkHorse - the series being completely before it ends at this point has to be a monumentally huge plus. Also I think its worth noting that nothing the showrunner has done so far has really sucked. No best show ever type stuff, but no bombs either. Being on Amazon, plus being this showrunner, I'm picture a Jack Clancy type vibe (recent John Krasinski one)... which was certainly entertaining, if not ground-breaking tv.

7. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Good Omens had a very Terry Pratchett feel (a good thing in my opinion), but you have to like that type of humor.

In regards to Wheel of Time...the best delivery of this series will be to cut out a ton of the filler in the middle books and really create a concise story. There are entire character arcs that are unneeded in the books. The determination of the quality of this series won't be what they shoot, but what they leave on the cutting room floor.

ROXTXIA likes this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I never finished the series because of this, though I understand Sanderson did a great job finishing it.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I found the characters and prose very absorbing. It was all excellent.....but I could not finish. Too too long. Too much of a great thing diminishes its impact.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Rosamund could actually be gone girl crazy and Id still lick her booteyus maximus. .

11. DarkHorse

Almost everyone quit at book 9 or 10. Honestly book 10 is 100% skippable. I would just read what happened on one of those plot summary sites and not bother reading it. It's that bad. Maybe the final couple of chapters with Egwene are good. Do the same thing for New Spring the short story prequel that came out after book 10.

Having said that, the last Jordan book, Knife of Dreams (book 11) is spectacular and one of the best in the series.

Brandon Sanderson did an excellent job wrapping things up, but his major skill is writing a good plot, so the dialogue suffers a little. (in book 12 in particular he mismanages Mat's character pretty badly) Other than that, the final 4 books are very good and a satisfying end.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. Nero

Nero Member

Good Omens was a straight-up homage to Douglas Adams, in my opinion. There were a few bits which were lifted almost directly from various parts of the Hitchhiker's books, as well as Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable bit of fluff. But like most Gaiman stuff, ultimately not something which will stick in your brain for long.

But it does make me wonder if that group petitioning Netflix to cancel Good Omens is going to work... I don't think it will. ;)

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This was a great book series until around book 6, when Jordan's wife (who edited) took over and it turned into The b****y Lady Tablecloth, Drape & Henpecked Men Show. I never finished, although I've thought about it since I've read several Sanderson books since and enjoy them all.

Pike always seems like she drinks her own kool-aid so it's good casting.

14. Commodore

Sanderson on the tv series

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This is one of those things where I don't want to wait another 4-7+ years to finish but would waste a weekend to binge watch everything.

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It's an epic story. And more original than GOT. But I could not get past the 6-7th book. And that was 20+ years ago. I hope they do well. I'm rooting for them.

17. Commodore

malakas likes this.
  18. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

why more original?

farm boy is the chosen one destined to fight the ancient evil that's returned. That's about as traditional as a fantasy story gets.

GoT had none of this.

As for that cast; looks very CW-ish

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  19. Entropy

Entropy Member

WOT Showrunner said there will be no Rand + 3 Wives. Not interested in this anymore.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah the farm boy cliche pretty much sums up the 11,308 pages and 4,012,859 words in the series.