1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amazon Prime Day 2016

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Eric Riley, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Prime Day deals are up. Anyone gonna get anything?

The Google Nexus 6P phones are on sale, and I think I'm gonna pick up the 128GB model for $479.

http://www.amazon.com

2. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Guess im gonna grab one of these, just not sure if "voice" extra feature needed or nah
    [​IMG]

#2 ron413, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  3. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Wonder if it's going to suck as much as last year's Prime Day.

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

The Amazon flea market is back?

5. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I got a few things.

Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1/ for $70. This is the lowest I've ever seen this electric pressure cooker.

I got this same exact model last Black Friday for nearly $20 more and it's worth every penny. An electric pressure cooker takes all of the stress out of using a pressure cooker. You just dump stuff in, and it comes out great in 30minutes. I've also used it to make yogurt as well.

Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi) for $90. I am going to trade in my 6th gen Paperwhite for $50 amazon gift card and $20 bonus towards another kindle. Amazon customer service said that I can buy the new Kindle first then contact CS again to retroactively apply the $20 credit towards a new kindle. For about $25 out of pocket, I get a higher dpi screen and a new battery.

#5 jchu14, Jul 12, 2016
    2 people like this.
  6. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I've never used a pressure cooker before, but I just bought that one based on your rave review. If I can at least get a few meals out of it, it'll be worth it! Thanks.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I could use a cheap, non-Apple mp3 player whose instructions don't come in broken English from China.

I'd really prefer something super basic. Don't need color screen or video. Just something where I can scroll through and select audio files.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

I bought the pressure cooker based on the post, but really have no idea what to do with it, so I will be experimenting with meats and veggies too to see if I like.

9. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Prime day yet again overhyped

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Actually, I don't think it's been hyped at all this year after the huge let down last go around.

I may grab that Fire TV for $69.99 though. And go ahead and cut the cord with PlayStation VUE.

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

How well do they work with Sling TV?

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I grabbed the FireStick for 25 during last year's prime day.

Pros: Cheap. Easily stream most major services like NetFlix, Hulu, HBO, and Amazon. You can sideload 3rd party apps like Kodi.

Cons: Interface is a bit clunky and not very intuitive. Remote only has a few buttons. Apps aren't as easy to access as they should be. If your TV's power supply is too close to the FireStick, it can overheat and cause you to lose internet connection.

Overall I'd say 3/5 stars on the FireStick. I would definitely recommend it for 25 bucks. Basically converts an existing TV into a Smart TV.

13. conquistador#11

thanks for the review moes. will get it.

they should do a 30% sale off everything on the site, that would be better.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

They almost are. Just set the top filter to Prime Day and search whatever it is you think you might want. If you're just looking for sexy items you might be disappointed.

Bought some baby diapers, sponges, gold toe socks, a polo shirt, and have a pair of running shoes sitting in my cart. Normally $100, now $70. I have to think about that for a few hours. Now that I think about it, I should probably get some laundry detergent at 30-35% off while I can. I have a stockpile of baby formula at home otherwise I would have pounced on some.

Other things to look at if interested: garbage bags, dishwashing soap/capsules, boxers, undershirts, items for pets.

Just look for normal everyday things that you're going to buy soon anyway, and buy them now at a good discount.

15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

This. Nothing in my cart went down in price, just the usual junk they always put on sale. Crappy TV's, anything made by Amazon, tupperware and Beard Oil, which of course is selling out quickly. Half of midtown must be logged on buying that.

16. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

thanks for the scoop Moes, I went ahead + did the $25 one (+$2 tax) just to see what the hype was about on the regular stick (instead of $10 extra voice feature one).

PS: Need advice. Is it easy to download "KODI" for us amateur peeps who are not very tech savvy such as myself? Some "FireStick Guru" rep was trying to sell me some upcharge to have the "KODI add-on" pre-uploaded for sports/ movies like it was some difficult process.

I have one semi-smart tv for VIZIO and then a RCA non-smart TV so besides HDMI cables never really messed with any other components in past couple years.

17. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Some good deals on SSDs, though mainly the 480gb and 900-1tb models.

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I was able to do it pretty easily. You just need to install an app that will allow you to extract the zip file from the web.

The only downside is you'll have to go into your apps in the settings to actually start Kodi up after you get it. I believe there is a tutorial on how to add it as a favorite so you can bring it up with a simple button press though.

https://seo-michael.co.uk/tutorial-how-to-install-kodi-on-a-firestick/

19. Matt Maloney

Matt Maloney Member

Very good. I've been using Sling TV on a Fire stick for about 6 months. It seems more stable than the Roku stick I use on another tv.

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Can you suggest one for me to use in an external USB 3 enclosure. I'm nearly capped out on my MacBook Pro and am in huge need for swift but mobile storage. I only need about 120-240 GB for mobile use, I have multiple HHDs at home. I'd like to spend as little as possible and take advantage of the Prime sale.

I'm going to use it to hold sample libraries for music production, so quick read speeds are a must.

Rep to all who can offer suggestions.

Edit: I'm thinking Crucial BX200 240GB or SanDisk Ultra II 240GB . With THIS enclosure. $85 for a 240 GB SSD external drive isn't bad right?
    I paid around the same amount for a 500 GB G-Tech mobile HDD last year.

#20 HR Dept, Jul 12, 2016