1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alvin Williams - Gettable?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pasox2, Apr 23, 2003.

1. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd like Alvin Williams as pg. Is he gettable?

Cato + Moochie for Williams and Hunter works RealGm.

Why toronto - Get Center, pg
    Why Houston- Get Williams - Hunter contract expires 04.

Now, I know many of you will sneer at this. What do think it would take? Toronto may well be interested in dumping one of their bad contracts for Rice, but they really need some players there, too.

Williams makes approx. 6m per. I have to think Cat/EG are already tied up in a deal for a bigger fish. That leaves you Rice/Cato/Taylor/Mooch to play with.

2. verse

verse Contributing Member

after much debate, i've come to this conclusion...

i'd rather move mobley, et al for a big man, and for our point guard look at bringing in rafer alston.

3. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

Sounds pretty good.

4. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

I would not mind at all to see Alvin Williams in a Rocket's uni but not at the cost of Cato.

I never thought i would say this but ....we need Cato.

Ming & Cato are a very formidable combo at Center.

Anyways... I though Alvin Willaims was a free agent?!?

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

Is gettable even a word??? :confused: :eek: ;)

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's not bad at all...

I could definitely live with a guard rotation of
    Williams/Hunter
    Francis/Hawkins (or better yet, Jon Barry)

assuming Mobley is to be used as part bait for that stud forward as currently being hypothesized (Odom, Brand) to play on a line next to Yao Ming.

The move is beautiful for us as it gets rid of Moochie's contract, and lands us a good defending, and non-mistake prone PG, plus the always wanted shooter off the bench (Hunter).

We'd still need a big man to play backup minutes to Yao via free agency, or through some other move. A Cherokee Parks type, or Sean Rooks would more than suffice.

For Toronto: Cato is definitely capable of being a starting center, and if he plays as motivated as he did this past year, he can put up 10-10-2, fairly easily which is VERY solid. I think it'd depend upon where they land in the draft- if it's T.J. Ford territory, no question they let go of Williams in this move, play Carter/Peterson at the wings, open up the PF slot to a competition between JYD, Bradley, or Antonio Davis, and let TJ run the show. If it's Lebron James territory...there's a number of ways they can go.

verse- I'd definitely prefer a little more size than Rafer playing next to Steve. Also, I wonder about his ability to defer to a big man rather than focus on slashing 100% of the time. He hasn't gotten a chance to do that in Toronto, and his rep based off his lethal moves doesn't lend confidence IMO to him being content giving the ball up to Yao early.

7. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

Okay.

First.

Alvin Williams is signed through 2005-2006.

He is making a little bit more than Cat.

I think he is gettable.

We would have to give up Cato...but hopefully get Jerome Williams or Antonio Davis in return. :D

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sure, he's gettable. That's why we don't want him.

If a starting Point comes in he needs to be a stud. GP, Dre, not an eh player.

9. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

Jason Williams. :D

Darrell Armstrong!!! :)

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I'm all for tyring to get Alvin Williams if the Rockets plan on moving Francis to the 2.

Stay away from Jason Williams unless we get a player like Pau Gasol with him. J Williams shot only 38% from the field this year.

11. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

Okay...if you think about it...Alvin Williams really isn't that good. Heh..
    But still, if you really want him, he is gettable.
    Bostjan Nachbar or James Posey and Kelvin Cato
    FOR
    Alvin Williams and Lindsey Hunter and a 2nd Round Draft Pick (or not)
    I mean...not spectacular trade..but if you really want him...
    If they get a high pick in the draft, everything could change.
    Or....
    Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato
    FOR
    Alvin Williams, Jerome Williams, and Lindsey Hunter
    Then you also want Lamar Odom.
    Cuttino Mobley
    FOR
    Lamar Odom and a 2nd Round Draft Pick (or not)
    You also want Zach Randolph...who I don't really want.
    They probably want Eddie Griffin because that is mainly all we have to offer. And we still have Glen Rice. But for us....after his contract expires, that would help the Rockets' budget a bit. But he is still good trade bait. Anyways...something like
    Eddie Griffin and Glen Rice
    FOR
    Zach Randolph and Jeff McInnis
    See...it wouldn't work out too great.
    I would rather keep the team we have right now than make all those changes...
    And even if we did have Alvin Williams, I'd rather have Steve and Posey or Steve and Steve Smith than Steve and Alvin.
    Alvin Williams or Jeff McInnis/Moochie Norris/Lindsey Hunter
    Steve Francis/Steve Smith or Eric Piatkowski or Jon Barry or maybe James Posey/Juaquin Hawkins
    Lamar Odom/James Posey or Bostjan Nachbar/Terence Morris
    Maurice Taylor/Zach Randolph
    Yao Ming/Jason Collier
    Our bench would be deeper.
    BUT...
    I still think the team we already have would be better.

12. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, you're getting warmer.

What I actually want is players that can feed/support Steve and Yao. I think Alvin Williams is the right kind of guy to pair with Steve at the two. He's used to supporting a star. He takes care of the ball. He's tall, can help on defense.

Ideally, I move our backups for new starters/greater need - thus Cato/Mooch - Williams/Hunter. I tried a lot of other combinations buy didn't find much else.

I want Odom for similar reasons. He's tall. He has outstanding court vision. He can score and rebound and has masterful interior passing. I think he'd be great at feeding Ming; great at swinging it back to Steve if the ball came right back with Yao in a double.

Need to move talent for talent/clipper cheap. Cat and Grif.

I want Zach Randoph or a similar player for the 4 that will board and have Ming's back. I want that guy to defer to Ming and Steve.

I've got Rice and Taylor left to play with. I should be able to parlay that into a Randolph-type and a shooter a la Jon Berry.

That leaves me (ideally, of course) with a team like this :

Yao /Rooks?
    Randolph/Tmo
    Odom / Boki
    Francis/Berry/Hawkins
    Williams /Hunter

I expect a lot from Yao and Francis with a true supporting cast. It's not stars at every position, but a series of strong role players. Presently, I think, Yao and Francis are forced to defer (too much) to lesser talents. It's time to reverse that, and let the supporting cast get theirs on dish-outs, slashing, and putbacks. I'm also trying to fill out Doc's template : 2 Clippers, Wpf, Epg, Esg. I think Williams is a good fit however you fill out the pf, wing spots. A dominant big man doesn't use a super pg, he needs a wing.

13. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

lol...unless Toronto is really desperate for a center...and Cato would be a big upgrade over all they have right now...I don't think they would give up Williams and Hunter for Cato and MOOCHIE. Haha! I wish...lol. But maybe they would...never know. Actually...maybe they would accept, because Cato has really improved. And maybe they see something special in Moochie Norris. I would be satisfied if we got Alvin Williams and Rafer Alston for Mooch and Cato. Williams would be all right I guess.

But I still don't understand how moving Francis to the 2 will change anything. Yes...we would have another point guard who could run the offense and take off some pressure from Steve. But offensively...hmm...the other team would just put the better defender on Steve. Alvin Williams...is he good offensively? He has to be good enough for the other team to not just double team Francis or Yao freely. And on defense...I guess we would be all right. Zone defense all day. Odom and Yao would be fine inside. But on he perimeter, is Williams a good defender?

Odom. I agree. He is tall. And he could be a good role player/star.
    But would you give up Mobley for him? Mobley and Griffin for Odom and Q. Richardson? Or Mobley and Nachbar for Odom and Eric Piatkowski? I do want Odom.

Now Zach Randolph. He doesn't seem to be a very nice guy. But...uhh..I would like someone like him.

Williams/Hunter or Alston
    Francis/Piatkowski or Richardson/Hawkins ;)
    Odom/Posey or Nachbar :)/maybe Rice/Morris
    Maybe Griffin or someone like Zach Randolph.../Maybe Taylor
    Yao/Collier or some other guy...

Also...with Steve moving to the 3....and no more Mobley...and moving Rice...and maybe Nachbar...we would have no 3 point shooters. :( Piatkowski or Barry yeah..but he would be on the bench. So even though we would have more creators...there's no one who can shoot! :(

14. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

We could try to get Alvin Williams, Morris Peterson, and Antonio Davis...

That would mean at least giving up Cuttino Mobley, Eddie Griffin, and Glen Rice...

Risky.

15. AGBee

AGBee Member

Yeah, he's FORgettable.

16. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I'd rather just forget about Williams and try to get a good pg. To his credit, Alvin plays pretty good d, but he just ain't that great a pg.

17. 3Rings

3Rings Contributing Member

This guy has worst PG instincts than Steve Francis and he has trouble feeding the post.

I remember Hakeem and Davis having their man pinned in the post and the timing of his entry passes would always be late.

He has a great assist to turnover ratio, because he doesn't create for his teammates. I'm just not impressed with this guy. He is a SG in a PG body.

18. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

I agree...ugh.

I was thinking...

Cato/Moochie
    Williams/Hunter

Mobley/Nachbar
    Odom/Piatkowksi

Griffin/Rice/Posey
    Anderson/Randolph/some other guy

But forget it.

Williams doesn't seem that great...

19. 3Rings

3Rings Contributing Member

Also, this guy is a career 42% shooter (31% from 3 ptr) and averages 4.1 assists.

I don't get why he is on everyone's wish list.

20. jshabang

jshabang Member

DIZAMMMMM........ME TO:D