1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Allen Iverson - homophobe

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jamcracker, Jan 30, 2001.

1. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

2. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

Iverson's side of the story

Iverson told the Philadelphia Inquirer on Tuesday that he meant no disrespect to the gay community, but also said he was the target of unruly badgering from fans.

"That's the worst I've heard it in my career," Iverson told the newspaper. "They called me monkey. They called me n-----. They called me jailbird ... waving their middle finger at me. Everything. Screaming behind the bench the whole time, and nothing was done about it. They weren't even thrown out.

"I even went to the referee and told him, 'Look at this guy. Look what he's saying to me.' The ref told me he couldn't do anything about that right now, so I just got tired of it. I told the referee, 'Well, just leave me alone then. Don't say anything about me saying something to them.' I just couldn't take it anymore."

3. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Which seems perfectly reasonable, except that this isn't Iverson's first dabbling in gay bashing or unruly behavior.

If he wants to cry, don't throw out the taunts to begin with. Then he might get some sympathy.

------------------

4. Steve_Francis_rules

the word f***t does not always have to be referring to gays.

------------------

5. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm sure the writer of that story has NEVER used a derrogatory word in his life. If I were in Iverson's shoes and someone was yelling those types of comments at me, I'd probably react in a similar manner. Is it right? No, but I don't think Iverson's remark was that big a deal.

------------------
    "Clinton lied. A man might forget where he parks or where he lives,
    but he never forgets oral sex, no matter how bad it is." -- Barbara Bush

6. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Yep, Iverson is certainly worthy of being called out. No other players talk trash, or curse.

His use specifically of f****t is not cool, but the media is just trying way too hard to make a huge deal out of words exchanged in the heat of battle.

7. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

the word f***t does not always have to be referring to gays.

So, does the word n----- not always have to be referring to African-Americans?

8. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Bad choice of words by Allen but almost everyone would of said something back.

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams fan club. Web site coming soon

atheistalliance.org

9. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I might have said something back.

Yes, if I were in his shoes, I probably would have said something back.

I don't know if I would have called him a f*ggot, though, but it's entirely possible that I might have said something back to him.

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel boy.

10. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Maybe this incident helped Allen to understand why people were pissed over his rap album.

------------------
    The Rockets will be the NBA champions. Believe.

11. ScreamingRocketJet

I am not defending Iverson, but the use of words when you are pissed of rarely LITERALLY mean what they imply. Like, calling someone a "f*****" doesn't necessarily mean he hates gay people etc...

I was going for the train the other day and a guy ran past and bumped into me into me as he ran for his train. The guy didn't bother to say sorry, so I was pissed off and called him a "c#nt
    (I have a short fuse unfortunately!)

Does that imply I hate the female anatomy? I don't think so...

I have heard guys call other guys a f*****...when they are hand in hand with their GIRLFRIEND! Obvioulsy theirs no gay connotation, it's probably the first derogatory word they thought of.

I think people take swearing too literally...

------------------

12. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

There's always a gay connotation, whether you admit it or not. It's a cop out to say their isn't.

f***** is used to insinuate someone weak and that comes directly from its gay connection. You're right, he wasn't calling him a homosexual, but he was calling him a weakling like a gay person. That's just as bad (and the same thing as using ****** not as a bad name for black people, but just for lazy, worthless people--that sounds offensive, now doesn't it?). Making fun of gay people is just a lot more accepted.

Is this a huge deal? No, but Al whining about it when someone calls him names while he's looking to make money off his spewed hatred is a little unsymphathetic.

------------------

13. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I think I just heard a new can of worms opening.

------------------
    "Clinton lied. A man might forget where he parks or where he lives,
    but he never forgets oral sex, no matter how bad it is." -- Barbara Bush

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

f*ggot
    Is just the latest
    It does refer to a male being weak and having
    female like qualities [not *NECESSARILY likeing
    other men]

I remember when you could not call someone
    a PUNK and expect to not fight
    Punk had the same connotation as f*ggot
    [until the punk rock thing]

Sissy , Punk, F*ggot, nancyboy,
    It is derogatory because it brings into
    question ones manhood
    [much in the same way that B*stard brings into
    question one's breed/lineage]

Rocket River

------------------

15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps he was simply calling the fan a "bundle of sticks"? [​IMG]

------------------
    "Of course, everything looks bad if you remember it!"
    Homer Simpson

16. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

So your saying that he jst picked a fan and called him a F-----?

I dont particularly like iverson, but i dont think he is that much of an idiot.

------------------
    President of the Charles Barkley fan club...Oh he retired? When?

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

RR . . .er RRaven
    You know . . you can say anything
    in a certain way and it can be offensive
    [or funny]

People so HyperSensative these days

Rocket River

------------------

18. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Rocket River is a nancyboy! Nancyboy! Nancyboy!

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel boy.

19. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

No evidence fans used racial slur:

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2001/0201/1054844.html

INDIANAPOLIS -- There is no evidence an Indiana fan made racial slurs against Philadelphia guard Allen Iverson during a game at Conseco Fieldhouse, a Pacers spokeman said Thursday.

Pacers president Donnie Walsh said he was unaware of the allegation until Wednesday and would investigate the matter.

However, on Thursday, Pacers spokesman David Benner said team officials "found no evidence that a racial slur was used, so as far as we're concerned, it's over."

Walsh said the Pacers had talked to security officers who were stationed near the visiting team's bench. The racial remarks reportedly came from a fan in that area, Walsh said.

The guards told the Pacers that Iverson and the fans were cursing but that no racial epithets were uttered.

"I don't think we want to know what everybody in the arena was saying, but if something racial was said from behind the bench, we want to know that," Walsh said.

Even if someone did say something, Walsh said he doesn't believe the Pacers could take action now.

"I don't know that we could do anything if we don't know who said it," Walsh said. "But if it did happen, we'd want to know why the fan wasn't ejected."

Philadelphia general manager Billy King downplayed the alleged incident.

"I think there were things that were said to Allen on the court and I think Allen responded," King told. "I think a lot of players respond. I don't think Allen was being derogatory to any group of people or anything like that. I think it was back and forth between a fan."

20. ScreamingRocketJet

If I am Iverson...I do more than call them names...I'd go into the crowd and beat the sh$t out of monkey spankers like this...

From the Philly papers...
    ".During last year's playoffs versus Indiana, I got into it with some middle-age, big business-looking man that continuously berated Allen. He kept saying that Allen was born from a dog, calling his mother a German Shepherd, asking if his mother knew what neighborhood dog fathered him. I went over to the man and asked him, 'What is wrong with you? What does this have to do with basketball?' That's how insane some people are. They always get personal with Allen

Last spring, the author of an e-mail sent to WIP-AM (610) radio was charged with threatening to mutilate Iverson's children. Then, after the Sixers' playoff exit, vandals roamed the backyard of Iverson's home and spray-painted racial epithets on a trailer"

------------------