1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Allen Coon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Mar 23, 2012.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

One kid is dead, one isn't.

One has the police looking for suspects, while the other has them with a suspect in plain grasp.

Yeah, but way to make it about race, post-racial conservative trolls.

3. basso

Supporting Member

Sharpton/Farakhan much?

he was set on fire for being white, and you're accusing me of "making it about race?"

4. Northside Storm

little doubt about the motive. so, why then is this horrible crime not a national sensation?

alive=dead? and suspect pursued=suspect ignored? but hey, you keep on living in your cube of how you're a post-racial troll.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

One was SHOT by an ADULT.....and he was unarmed at the time. The police covered it up.

The other is bad, yes. And no doubt once they find those BLACK teenagers....they will be going to jail. The police won't cover that up...LOL. They will probably throw them under the jail.

6. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

Kind of an apples/oranges if you ask me.

Most of the outrage in the Trayvon Martin case is directed at the justice system. The Sanford police department basically took Zimmerman at his word despite what I believe is obvious probable cause. Furthermore, the DA seems to be taking his sweet time in formally charging Zimmerman with anything.

Two years ago, Trevor Dooley similarly shot a man in what appeared to be a misunderstanding during a physical altercation. Despite conflicting accounts by witnesses, he was arrested, taken into custody, and charged with manslaughter within 48 hours.

In this particular case, there's no indication that law enforcement isn't doing its job either.

7. basso

Supporting Member

but there's more to the story- read the links above about what was being taught at Coon's school.

8. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

You're a sad little race troll

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

No doubt a disgusting crime but basso fails again.

10. basso

Supporting Member

i think you mean no indication that LE is doing its job.

11. basso

Supporting Member

reaction is fascinating. no where in the thread is there any attempt to minimize the other crime that has captured national attention. rather, the question before us, why isn't this attack, which is sensational, horrific, has all the characteristics that would typically provoke outrage in the media, and yet...

crickets.

and i'm called racist for raising the issue.

fascinating.

1 person likes this.
  12. Kyrodis

No, I meant what I said. There's no indication that law enforcement is not out there looking for the two kids that lit Allen Coon on fire

...meaning that the law enforcement is doing its job.

I answered your question without calling you racist. The police are doing their due diligence in this case. For all intents and purposes, the police in the Trayvon Martin case do not appear to be...or at very least seem to be dragging their feet.

13. basso

Supporting Member

my bad- thought you were referring to a different case.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This is right out of the conservative equivocation textbook. It's the same ole same ole... that's why nobody should bother with it.

15. Northside Storm

This crime did capture the national attention, just to a more limited degree.

You were answered about why it didn't capture as much national attention as the Martin case.

Your constant agitation and emphasis on race, however, has been noted. That doesn't make you a racist. Just someone who trolls about race.

16. basso

Supporting Member

reverse the races in each of the coon & martin cases. which would we be discussing now?

17. Northside Storm

that's a great hypothetical for people who want to rant about races, and ignore other important variables (chiefly that death doesn't equal life, or at least that's what those pesky pro-life people keep on trying to emphasize)

18. Kyrodis

I think you and I both know the answer to that question. While I agree that news outlets should make every effort to be impartial, I don't understand why you're indignant about the increased coverage of the Martin case.

Fact of the matter is, you'd have to be very naive to think that prejudice against minorities isn't still widespread. It may not be as mainstream as it was in the 1950s, but it's still engrained in more people's minds than you'd expect. Frankly, the story of a predominately white police force not doing their due diligence in investigating the death of a black victim is all too familiar.

Do you honestly blame the African American community for being flat-out tired something like that happening again? Do you blame them for being especially vocal? Do you blame the media for devoting more airtime to the story that sparked more vocal outrage?

Why not organize with some other folks and voice your own outrage regarding the Coon case? Given the heinous nature of the crime, I doubt anyone would begrudge you that.

19. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Does not fit the narrative.

20. Nook

Nook Member

There are actually a number of advocates that believe that a heterosexual white male cannot be a victim of a hate crime. It is a very complicated, controversial subject, an argument can be made that the legislation is equivalent to being sentenced twice for the same crime.

1 person likes this.