1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Allegiant Air, discount carrier - high record of in-flight breakdowns

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/allegiant-air-the-budget-airline-flying-under-the-radar/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/allegiant-air-the-budget-airline-flying-under-the-radar/

Allegiant Air is a small, ultra-low-cost carrier based in Las Vegas, that happens to be one of the country's most profitable airlines. But, according to federal aviation records and interviews with pilots, mechanics and industry experts, it may also be the most dangerous.

The airline flew 12 million passengers last year on its 99 planes to 120 destinations from California to Florida. But it's had persistent problems since at least the summer of 2015 when it experienced a rash of mid-air breakdowns, including five on a single day. It was not a fluke.

Public documents show an alarming number of aborted takeoffs, cabin pressure loss, emergency descents, and unscheduled landings. Yet for the most part, allegiant's difficulties have managed to stay under the radar of the flying public.

Falcons Talon and malakas like this.
  2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Yep, pretty much on point. Where I live currently it's a joke about people who want to try their luck twice while flying out to Vegas.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

4. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Not good news. I only fly Allegiant from the RGV to Vegas. It's a cheap, direct flight and I've never had any issues on my flights. I have a feeling that the safety issues will be addressed and the price of flights is going to reflect that. Once took a flight on Spirit as part of a "free vacation" for attending a time share meeting....I didn't think I was going to make it off that flight in one piece.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  5. Sajan

Sajan Member

You might want to rethink that...
    "Most of the public is also unaware that Allegiant's CEO Maurice Gallagher was one of the founders of Valujet, another low-cost carrier with the same business model as Allegiant. Valujet never recovered from the crash of one of its planes in the Everglades in may of 1996. Loretta Alkalay, like the former NTSB member, John Goglia, says she would never fly Allegiant."

Falcons Talon likes this.
  6. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I work in aviation. Spirit has a very good safety record (as good as any other airline you'll ever fly on). You might get horribly delayed like any high utilizing LCC but I'm as confident in their maintenance as any other airline.

But I flat out refuse to fly Allegiant. They've had this reputation for years. And its not just their maintenance. They've had crazy personnel and management issues for years. News organizations in Florida have been reporting on Allegiant failures for years now. I'm glad 60 minutes raised this.

Two problems to note

1. Allegiant is a terrible airline. Awful management and incredibly unprofessional. They also fly dated planes but don't have the maintenance structure to support them. Delta flies the same planes but Delta's maintenance operation is impeccable. Allegiant's is a joke in comparison.

2. The FAA has become toothless. Go back 20 years, Allegiant would have racked up millions in fines at this point. Instead they've gotten nothing. The FAA needs a new mandate to enforce penalties harshly. The rules are on the books. The FAA's enforcement of those rules and the penalties associated with them have been beyond terrible. There needs to be a complete overhaul.

7. geeimsobored

Bricker needs to be fired asap. He's trashing SY's hard earned reputation in MSP. You can't operate Sun Country like Allegiant. I get the idea of adding seats and contracting out airport ops. In fact, they had to do those things to stay competitive.

But you can't compromise on things like this. Sun Country's whole reputation was built around the idea of being the hometown airline that provides good service at cheaper prices than Delta. People will tolerate lower pitch on seats if they can still get to their destination safely with good service. But once you screw up the service part, you basically ruin Sun Country's market position.

8. bobrek

Yep. If they didn't want to impact their schedule, they should have chartered however many planes it would take to get the folks home. I do not like flying airlines like Sun Country due to this type of issue. If they have a plane problem - even routine ones - , they generally have issues getting passengers to their destinations in a timely manner.

I'm also curious if, when buying tickets for the affected flight, if folks were made aware of the fact it was the last flight out for the season and this possibility existed. (I just googled this and found the following regarding all Sun Country tickets):

"Purchase of a ticket does not guarantee transportation."

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/04/16/sun-country-a-lesson-in-reading-the-fine-print-

9. Falcons Talon

Thanks for that info. I guess I've just been lucky with Allegiant and not so lucky with Spirit. I sure hope Allegiant cleans up their act. My next choice is Southwest and their prices are much higher and they do not offer direct flights from my airport.

10. geeimsobored

What airport do you fly out of?

11. Falcons Talon

Rio Grande Valley...Either Harlingen or McAllen.

12. Falcons Talon

Uprising likes this.
  13. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

14. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

15. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

1000 X safer than walking across the street or getting in a car or train

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Because of all the regulations and stuff they have now. Its the FAAs job. Air travel used to be much more dangerous.

17. bobrek

Sun Country is stepping up....

http://www.startribune.com/sun-coun...rs-stranded-in-mexico-last-weekend/480031723/

18. geeimsobored

Well its still overall a very safe thing to do. I wouldn't use that one incident to avoid flying. That's the first death in close to a decade on a US plane. And Southwest is very good about maintenance. And Southwest's business model really hinges on their reputation as they no longer operate in the low cost space.

It only took getting bludgeoned by MSP (and national) media. Sun Country is still totally reliant on MSP travelers and their whole business was built around their reputation in the Twin Cities. Still hope they fire Jude Bricker. This is the type of damage that is hard to recover from. The narrative has already been written. Delta could go in for the kill and just price match Sun Country on Caribbean and Mexican routes for a year or two and finish them off.

19. bobrek

No....that will make my Delta flights more crowded. :)

20. Falcons Talon

@geeimsobored ...i was just being facetious. I'll still fly. I only had a fear of flying in the 70's when planes were dropping like flies. I hope everyone gets all their messes straightened out though.

Sajan likes this.