1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All-time NBA Matchup #4!

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by 123Rockets, Jun 5, 2012.

1. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

Matchup 4

Jamers vs RocketsRed14

Team Jamers
    PG - Rajon Rondo
    SG - Reggie Miller
    SF - LeBron James
    PF - Hakeem Olajuwon
    C - Bill Walton

Bench:
    SG/SF - Michael Cooper
    PG - Kevin Johnson
    PF/C - Wes Unseld

Team RocketsRed14
    PG - Jason Kidd
    SG/SF - Chris Mullins
    SF - Larry Bird
    PF - Kevin Mchale
    C - Robert Parish

SG/PG - Joe Dumars
    C - Arvydas Sabonis
    PF - Otis Thorpe

Thanks!

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Nice. Somebody got smart and drafted Boston's front line, the all time best front line to ever be assembled in the NBA. Nice indeed.

In my humble opinion, I see two contrasting styles here. Jamers has a more of a running uptempo team and RocketsRed14 has the halfcourt grind it out machine.

PG: A wash, Kidd in his prime was great on both ends, same skillset as Rondo, both of them lacking somewhat of a jumper. Kidd didn't add the jumpshot until the latter part of his career.

SG: Almost a wash, slight nod to Reggie because of his clutchness. Mullin was a multi-tool offensive player. Neither guy could defend a fencepost.

SF: Lebron vs. Bird - - in their primes. Hmmmmm. Two opposite styles. Bird, a scorer that was a sensational playmaker and Lebron a playmaker who is a sensational scorer. In my opinion, this is a wash....at present. Lebron hasn't won anything yet. Bird won. Yeah, Bird had McHale and Parish. I understand. And interestingly enough, he's got them here.

PF: Obviously Hakeem over McHale. But I don't understand. You got two centers starting, Hakeem and Walton. Once again, one of them is useless offensively when the other one has the ball.

C: Edge to Walton.

On paper, this looks like Jamers dominates. However, I do see some problems. Rondo and Lebron are both playmakers. You take the ball out of one of their hands and you turn them into a spot up shooter and finisher. Neither one of very efficient in that role. While both are great individually, I don't like them together.

The next problem I see on Jamers team is he's got 3 centers and no real PFs. There's no vaiation there. And spacing becomes an issue.

Now, let's look at the bench. Sabonis??? You kidding me?? In his prime?? Did any of you ever see Sabonis in his prime?? When he wasn't in the NBA??? And then you gonna pair him with a combo guard in Dumars?? Look, RocketsRed14's bench is off the charts.

My pick: RocketsRed14 because of the Celtics front line chemistry and the bench and the blend of scoring and playmaking. Flame away.

EDIT: I won't be providing rebuttals here. Just my thoughts on these TEAMS, not the individual talents.

#2 jopatmc, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

Thanks man you've been stellar. RocketsRed14:1
    Jamers:0

4. Jamers

Jamers Member

Olajuwon has all the versatility in the world to play the 4. No question there. Olajuwon's natural position is a power forward.

And Wes Unseld is a PF who pulls down 16pts, 16rbs..

My frontcourt destroys his, when you take a look at my defense, how can you score on the the paint?

5. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Sounds kinda like the arguement i made jamers..

6. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Team Jamers WINS, 4-2

LeBron Hakeem pick and roll. Unseld and his super low center of gravity setting screens for Reggie while Bird and Mullin flounder around defensively. LeBron steamrolling his way to the basket with ease. I think Walton is better off at the 4 with Hakeem at the 5. RocketsRed has a better bench and much better chemistry to start off, but we have to assume these GOATS have been playing together for atleast a season and developed some chemistry of their own. They'll move the ball around, be unselfish, play great team basketball... but that's what wins you NCAA championships.

This is the NBA, and Jamers has too much power and individual talent to lose.

7. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

I still really like my team considering i made no trades. Good luck Jamers.

8. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

Thanks guys.

Rr14:1
    Jamers:1

9. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Hakeem Olajuwon for the win!
    Case closed.

10. IzakDavid13

Rondo vs Kidd.
    Kidd was awesome in his prime. He led the Nets to the Championship round. The Nets. Yes, the Nets. Are we seeing Rondo in his prime? Will he add a jump shot like Kidd did? Rondo is the Black Jason Kidd.
    Kidd by a whisker.
    RocketsRed14

Reggie vs Mullins
    Reggie was big time clutch. Mullins was also a big time clutch shooter.
    Both could score...defence like Scola.
    Edge could go to Mullin, but then again it could also go to Reggie on any given night, in their prime. Especially if Spike Lee was court side.
    Head to head they played each other 17 times
    Reggie 17.4pts 4.1rbds 4.2ast
    Mullin 18.8pts 4.6 rbds 4.6ast
    And Mullin won 10-7
    Tied IMO. Tilting towards Mullin

LeBron vs Bird
    Bird was amazing, but he never had to deal with anything like LeBron. In this matchup I can see Bird scoring and gettin a steal to win a game, but LeBron will dominate Bird, until the fourth quarter comes around.
    In saying that, Bird always found a way to outwit his opponent.
    Bird in the fourth takes it, just.
    RocketsRed14

Hakeem The Dream Oljuwon vs Coach
    Serious? I could go all Tinman on you regarding my favourite all time player, Hakeem The Dream Olajuwon! But I won't, only because it's 12:55am down under.:)
    Who do you think?
    Jamers

Walton vs Parish
    This is a tough one. Parish had that high arching jumper, Walton was an awesome rebounder and defender, who could also score the ball.
    In their Primes it would be too close to call.
    They did play each other once, Walton had 19, Parish 18 pts...
    Tied leaning towards Walton.

Bench:
    Jamers
    SG/SF - Michael Cooper
    PG - Kevin Johnson
    PF/C - Wes Unseld
    vs
    RocketsRed14
    SG/PG - Joe Dumars
    C - Arvydas Sabonis
    PF - Otis Thorpe

Sabonis? Really? If we were counting Russian and Euro leagues maybe, but Sabonis?
    Joe Dumas and O.T. Awesome selections, but K.J & Wes Unseld with his Rebounding and outlet passes are also awesome pick ups off the bench.

Kevin Johnson off the bench is the kicker here for me.
    Bench:
    Jamers

An awesome series, but a team with LeBron and Hakeem? Miller catching the ball off the double team in the post? Kevin Johnson and his tenacious play off the bench. Rondo dishing the ball and playing awesome D.

Bird steals the ball, sends it to game 7...

But Olajuwon wins it in the end.

Jamers4-3

11. Jamers

Jamers Member

yeah, finally someone recognize KJ off the bench! thank you very much!

I'm still waiting for someone to acknowledge one of the best defender in Michael Cooper!

Nobody mentioned him! He exist in my line-up, brahs

12. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I'm sorry RR14, but this might be the championship team right here. How did y'all let Jamers put this team together?

13. IzakDavid13

...damn I was going to mention Long arm Michael Cooper but Olajuwon mate.

Ola-ju-won.

14. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Hopefully he gets a bad matchup somewhere down the line.

15. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

I have my doubt about Lebron. The fact that he had better record in Cleveland than in Miami make you think how could he co-exist with all time greats. He can make scrub team good, but I don't know about bringing added value on great team. Mostly because, if you want him to be effective, he has to be the one who dominates ball most. He can't really play off-ball and neither can Rondo. One of this players would struggle hard.

16. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

Thanks

Jamers:3
    Rr14:1

17. Jamers

Jamers Member

Lebron needs someone to bring the ball on the offense. Someone to pass to when they double team him. Someone who can run with him in the fast break and make nasty alley ops. As you can see in the current series, lebron cant do it all alone. With this team, he don't need to do everything on his own. Lebron nver had a rondo caliber point guard.

18. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Wow. 2 great teams, and RR14 will have to hope that the Rocket homers don't auto-judge bc of Olajuwon.

PG: As much as I would love to play the "what if" game with Rondo, Kidd is the more proven PG with the better track record. Both are great defenders while they struggled on offense early in their careers. Rondo will have the mid-range jumper, but will not get any points inside against McHale and Parish. There will not be many points coming from this position, but the defensive matchup would be great to watch. The edge goes to Kidd

SG: Both are great 3pt shooters and spot up shooters, obviously, so this matchup will be the complete opposite of the PG matchup. They will both get fed the ball in great position and will score their fair share of points. Mullin rebounded well for his position, but I feel that is a moot point with the froncourt on the team. I am giving this edge to Miller, slightly, because if they need a game winner, we all know that LeBron won't be the one to take it.

SF: Solely alone, I would think this is a wash, as Bird is seen as a better player over his career, but LeBron has been the bast all-around player in the NBA for a few years now. Bird having Mchale and Parish on the team helps him out, so I think that edges Bird over Lebron barely. Both players are absolutely great in their own, different ways. Bird is the better offensive player while LeBron is the better defensive player. While I think that Bird will have a hard time scoring on LeBron, he will still get his points.

PF: I do not see many people outvoting Olajuwon, but putting him at the PF is interesting. But, he's nimble, quick, and has the moves to beat Mchale; I think he would handle the move to PF well. The point goes convincingly to Olajuwon.

C: The closest matchup next to Lebron/Bird. Parish has the chemistry of playing with a familiar team around him while Bill has the defensive prowess with the ability to score at a solid rate. Needless to say, Olajuwon would handle most of the work down low offensively, so that leaves Walton to help out on D against Thorpe, and Mchale. I am giving the slight edge to Parish here if only because of his familiarity with the team around him.

Bench: I like the mix of guys on Jamer's bench with the spark from KJ and the D from Cooper. Unseld will be a solid player from the bench, but will struggle against the depth of RR14s frontcourt.

I am going to score in favor of Jamers because I think that LeBron/Olajuwon/Miller would be a ridiculous combination. We already know what would happen with the combination of Bird/Mchale/Parish, but I think that the first combo would win out.

19. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

My point was that he doesn't allow other players to help him, because in order to be himself, to be great, he have to dominate ball most. Bird was a great passer and playmaker too, but he was also deadeye shooter.

20. Jamers

Jamers Member

If lebron don't want any help, why do you think he joined wade and bosh?