1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All Things Reconsidered...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stone Cold Hakeem, Jul 12, 2000.

1. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Tim Duncun has recommitted to the Spurs (his bad, but oh well)...

The Heat appear to have overtaken Orlando in the Tracy McGrady over-pay sweepstakes...

Everything I've read and been told points to Eddie Jones relocating to the Windy City and...

Jalen Rose appears homeward-bound...

...I wonder if all this hasn't got Grant rethinking his decision.

I have to think that at the time Grant committed to Orlando he was under the impression they would nab a second marquee free agent, if not Tim Duncun (or especially Tim Duncun). All along Grant has claimed he wanted to part of a contender -- and all past success aside, Grant alone won't thrust Orlando to the top of the Eastern conference, especially if McGrady joins the Heat.

All things reconsidered, I think now, more than ever, is our opportunity to step in and nab Grant.

I would imagine the offer would be some variation of this:

Drew + Cato + 4.5 million exception for Hill

The selling point here is two fold:

Detroit would acquire Cato, whom despite his lackluster performance last season holds value if not only because his "potential" and center status and Detroits need for a strong man in the middle. A Williams/Cato front line would be formidable, even more so in the weaker Eastern Conference.

From everything I've heard Detroit's been lusting over Cato for a while...

Anyways...

Secondly, and capologists, correct me if I'm wrong, the 4.5 exception would afford them the room with which to acquire a Jalen Rose or a Mo Taylor. In the very least, it would ease their cap situation a bit.

Drew, more than being a throw-in, would provide Detroit with a solid, fundamently-grounded point...and if he didn't pan out, thats another 3 million of the cap next year.

I realize this is little more than meaningless conjecture and Detroit could probably find better offers but with the center situation being what is in the NBA, especially in the Motor City, I can't help but think we have a little hope....

------------------
    "Kick to the gut....The Stunner, The Stunner!!!!....Lights out for Austin Croshere!!!"

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I like this dream, but alot rests on Grant's desires.

Would New York be more attractive? How about San Antonio? Obviously the Rockets are more attractive than the Magic.

The Rockets have the term 'up & comer' written all over them... I just wonder if some of the FAs see that as a thing for the near future, or just future. [​IMG]

One thing's for certain, though. The Magic and Bulls are making a strong case against harsh cap overhauls.

------------------
    The ClutchCity 500.

3. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

True, true....a lot depends on Grant's desires.

I don't know how San Antonio could acquire Hill, however -- I can't imagine Detroit wanting to take on an aging Admiral.

New York, on the other hand, has the package of Camby and Sprewell to offer which would seem rather enticing to Detroit. Fitting Sprewell and Stackhouse onto the court at one time could be a problem, however, and on New Yorks, adding Hill at the expense of Camby and Sprewell (or Houston) doesn't seem like much of an improvement at all.

With the bevy of picks we'll enjoy over the next few years plus the talent we already enjoy now, the Rockets are defintely near and up comers. We're defintely a superstar away from contention and with Mobley's and Franchise preformances last year, I don't CD and the crew would have too much trouble convincing Hill of this.

If we managed to pull the deal off, our line-up would look a little something like this:

C Dream/Collier
    PF Thomas/Rogers/Miller
    SF Hill/Wizard/Langhi
    SG Anderson/Mobley
    PG Francis/Norris

Obviously not a championship caliber line-up yet, but defintely a start.

Moving the Wizard and C-Rog would be imperative as both eat a healthy portion of our cap as is. Should moving both men and losing the Dream drop us under the cap enough to offer one free agent the max, we could the pursue Webber using our youthful, high powered lineup as a selling point.

If we're not under enough, we could pursue a sign and trade, using Thomas, Collier, and/or Langhi coupled with Detroit's pick or one of our own.

Acquiring Webber (through offering the max) would make our line-up look like this:

C Collier/Miller
    PF Webber/Thomas
    SF Hill/Langhi
    SG Anderson/Mobley
    PG Francis/Norris

Finally, we could use the draft to fill in our hole at center. The 2001 is flush with talent so even if we're unable to move into the top three or so, I would imagine we'd still have a shot an up and coming center.

Our final line-up:

C Curry or Woods/Collier
    PF Webber/Thomas
    SF Hill/Langhi
    SG Anderson/Mobley
    PG Francis/Norris

Not too shabby, eh?

*Sigh*

Its late and it appears as if I'm already deep into dreamland so bid all of you, good night.

------------------
    "Kick to the gut....The Stunner, The Stunner!!!!....Lights out for Austin Croshere!!!"