1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All Changes Post George Floyd Here

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jun 11, 2020.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

2. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

3. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

I will change from generalthade to privatethade. I think maybe that will help the cause, whatever it is.

4. IBTL

IBTL Member

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

:rolleyes:
    It’s a joke, but it’s also not. As the protests against racist police violence enter their third week, the charges are mounting against fictional cops, too. Even big-hearted cartoon police dogs — or maybe especially big-hearted cartoon police dogs — are on notice. The effort to publicize police brutality also means banishing the good-cop archetype, which reigns on both television and in viral videos of the protests themselves. “Paw Patrol” seems harmless enough, and that’s the point: The movement rests on understanding that cops do plenty of harm.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Deputy Dog was probably racist

7. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Is tearing down the image of the good-cop archetype a good thing? I see more problems with it than good if the goal is to actually have good policemen protecting citizens and treating them equally. If the goal is to tear it all down and rebuild, you're going to have to accept that you might go without protection and crime may go unchecked until it's rebuilt or reformed. No pain, no gain? What's a scarier thought is the introduction of the military to serve in an interim capacity while the policing system is being rebuilt. If that happens, then you gotta say "holy ****. Someone just succeeded in creating a military/police state". Who would that to happen and why? Personally, I feel that some org has hijacked this crises to exploit it to achieve a goal.

8. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Whatever your political beliefs, we all know that the pendulum swings and once momentum builds to address a major problem in this country, that momentum will be powerful and could overcorrect. Change on large societal or national issues is not precise.

the trump base largely could not stand a black man being president for 8 years. I don’t know how many times I have heard a white person say, “we even let them have a black president”. So that festered and trump came along, inflamed that feeling, breathed new life and passion to it, spoke the racist words that those folks felt they could not say publicly, and boom, the pendulum swings HARD alt right.

Now we are hopefully seeing a strong correction and the pendulum is swinging back. It might not be precise or perfect (like taking off gone with the wind), but it is long overdue. I just hope it does not run out of steam before November, because you can bet Trump camp is livid and angry like a hornets nest. There will be record voter turnout in November.

9. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Barney Fife probably was too given the time period.

10. Exiled

Exiled Member

some countries briefly paused sinking Africans immigrants boats in the sea to show ̶s̶o̶l̶i̶d̶a̶r̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶A̶f̶r̶i̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶A̶m̶e̶r̶i̶c̶a̶n̶s̶ fed up with covid-19 shutdown

11. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

100 percent agree with the Grammy award and thought Tyler had a very compelling argument that he brought up immediately after winning which I thought was pretty brave thing to say.

I was today years old to know that Lady Antebellum is apparently racist in which the word Antebellum comes from the Latin word that means before the War. That one is kind of stretch but they can do want they want.

Paw Patrol. Nah. That's dumb.

I do see calls for other aspects of changing of media or taking it away like Gone With the Wind and to me it seems strange when I have never read that the intent was to glorify anything like you can see from Birth of The Nation. Why not have a beginning intro and explain the history and context of the movie? I remember seeing that with Tom and Jerry cartoons that they had Whoopi Goldberg explain the mammy character. Or in most current editions of Huckleberry Finn having a introduction explaining context and history.

Faux anger from both sides seems ridiculous though.

JayGoogle, Two Sandwiches and B@ffled like this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Did you miss the part about most of those postings being a joke?

Did you not know that other police dept have disbanded there dept's?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/09/us/disband-police-camden-new-jersey-trnd/index.html

Why are you arguing a strawman?

13. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

"the effort to publicize police brutality also means banishing the good-cop archetype" I was addressing this line of thinking. I got the joke.

Explain how I'm arguing a strawman. You seem to look for a quarrel where there isn't one.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't agree with them losing the name but there name is influenced by a certain period of time and where they are from Tenn.

It has nothing to do with the Latin word root.

Have you seen GWTW?

You don't need to read or hear anything to get that.

The more I watch this I am coming around to banning this.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you are basing all of that on that one line and you asking me how you are arguing a strawman?

The entire article is based on something that was meant as a joke which invalidates most everything you and her are saying.

But I will play along.

So let's not publicize police brutality to protect the good cop archetype?

I notice you ignored the part about how disbanding actually works O's.

16. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I simply 'addressed' that line and inserted my own opinion about it. I didn't intend to argue.

Since you're playing along: I did not say 'let's not publicize police brutality to protect the good cop archetype'. I think it's a bad idea to tear down the good cop image since that's the end goal.

Hell yes, I ignored the Camden story. I think your misguided if you think the Camden model is going to work in NYC or Chicago. It's a city with a population of 74k and is not a distribution hub. It's working for Camden. Here's the shocker: The police have a good cop image in Camden. That's the only way it can work.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The reason Camden has police have a good image is because they disbanded.

How do you know I am misguide if you did not even read the article?

How do you know it will not work if you don't understand what it means?

I am not even an advocate of this but I am not dismissing out of hand like you are, so much for having an open mind.

18. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Chauvin seems to always have wanted to wrestle for Vince McMahon.

FrontRunner likes this.
  19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Someone else may have pointed it but the south pre civil war is commonly referred to as Antebellum. It actually directly refers slavery

20. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I meant stretch in terms of them knowing that before naming the band. But I could be wrong. I would guess most of their fans probably didn't know that either. Haven't been suprised by a band's name history since Joy Divison.

Two Sandwiches likes this.