1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Alfa Romeo Giulia

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JayZ750, Feb 16, 2017.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

So for the car lovers on this board, there's a new competitor to the BMW 3 series, Mercedes C series, Lexus IS series, Audi 4, etc.

Alfa Romeo's new Giulia is getting exceptional reviews, is a gorgeous car, and is unique and new. The jewel of the pack is the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. This is the M3 competitor.

I drive a used 2011 BMW 335i... so thought why not take a look at the Giulia. So I went to the dealer. I really wanted to see and test drive the Quadrifolgio. But unfortunately supply there is extremely low. Wasn't one at the lot, and salesman said that as soon as one comes in, it goes out and in many cases is pre-sold. They aren't getting a lot for the year.

So I test drove the next "best" version which is the Giulia TI Sport. It is a beautiful car. But on the whole I walked away kind of "meh". I hadn't looked much at the non Quadrifolgio version research wise. Didn't realize the TI is a 2.0l I4. Decent 280 hp, decent 0-60. But I'm coming from my 335i which is a 6 cylinder with 300 hp that just delivers more power and umph. I struggled even with the Giulia on the manual shift mode... the car was fast, but it got up to a 5,500 rpm fast, whereas my 335 redlines at 7k rpm.

The Giulia was fast, just somewhat deceptively so. It was a comfortable ride, in automatic shifted through gears smoothly and nicely, felt well balanced, was nicely equipped on the interior and again, a gorgeous looking car. I'm guessing and it looks like the TI is priced and built to compete with BMW 328/330's or Lexus IS 300, as opposed to the 335i/340 or IS 350. And I can see how that makes some sense, as I'd assume those models sell in more volume. Unfortunately I didn't realize that going into the test drive.

I still have to believe based on all reviews and specs, that the Quadrifolgio is a completely different driving experience - as it should be at $75k+. It competes with the M3, for example. And it produces 505 horsepower and a 3.6 0-60 time. I'd love to test drive one.

Unfair to the Alfa, but a BMW dealership was 1 mile away so I stopped in and test drove a 2017 M3 competition pack.... just for fun. What a beast of a car. So aggressive, fast and fun. Puts my 335i to shame. If the Quadrifolgio is that impressive, as the reviews say, then amazing. I'm not really in the market for an $80k sports sedan... but its fun to dream and to test drive!! I'm still going to try to find a way to monitor the dealers and test drive the Alfa QF.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 JayZ750, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  2. Cranberry_Juice

I drive a civic. :(

ramotadab and Ubiquitin like this.
  3. JayZ750

I paid just north of $21k for my BMW 2 years ago. Bought it used. Only had 35k miles on it.
    5+ years old now... still a great car! If you want a car like that, you can always buy used, as i did.

4. Cranberry_Juice

Had two e46 convertibles, after 60k miles maintenance just wasn't worth it. Lol

5. JayZ750

Right on. We'll see how mine holds up when I get there.
    I don't drive a ton so I've got some time.

Relative to this thread... Alfa is Fiat.. Chrysler, etc. Quality tbd on the Giulia.

6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I want to get an e46 m3 just to have and play around with cause I've always loved the simple yet aggressive style and driving experience it provides but the repairs scare the living **** out of me and why I haven't gotten one. Coupes though, no convertibles for me

7. Cranberry_Juice

If you know how to do maintenance yourself its ok. IF you ever look at the maintenance schedules for bmw's, their scheduled maintenance cost can be up to like 500 dollars if you follow it. At around 90k for an e46, it feels like you have to replace everything. I miss my cars though, nothing like weaving in and out of traffic with the top down.

8. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

That is a hideous looking car. It's like a 3 Series had a baby with a Pontiac. I will never understand the fascination with beginner "luxury" cars.

v3.0 and Richie_Rich like this.
  9. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

10. JayZ750

Ha! Design is obviously subjective... but you're likely to be in the minority on that opinion.
    Pretty much every review out there loves its looks.

Also, have no idea what "beginner 'luxury'" means. As opposed to high end stuff like Porsche, Ferrari, Bentley, etc.?? Might have just a little something to do with price.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Sucks that there is no manual option in the US for the Quadrifolgio. No future buy from me.

Richie_Rich and donkeypunch like this.
  12. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Love it and the fact that it beat the M and its competitors on the Nurburgring is hilarious slap to the face to the overpricing the Germans are doing.

I sold my e36 M last year and thinking about getting into an e46 M down the line.

But that Guilia is gorgeous!

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Me too dude... Looking into a E46 m3 6 speed. Stay away from the SMG gearbox. I can be impatient and buy a ZHP 330i and swap in the M3 diff but I might have to swap out the while rear subframe so they might not be with it. I'll just wait till I graduate.

I'm also thinking of saying'**** all practicality' and build up a AP1 S2000.

14. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I'm with you on that one. Looks like an old ass Pontiac to me :confused:

Richie_Rich likes this.
  15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm not a huge car guy, but the Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep brand isn't exactly known for quality....

No way I'd throw that kind of money at them.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  16. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Yea I really would have to put away quite a bit of money if I get a e46 unless I buy one with rod bearings, subframe work already done which will be a high penny.

I love the s2k but they are just way too impractical and bad aero lol, ap1 have snap oversteer also unlike the ap2 just so you know

17. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

If you have amazon prime, in The Grand Tour episode 10 Clarkson does a great review of the Giulia - it's Alfa quirky for sure.

18. JayZ750

Awesome. Thanks.
    I definitely noticed the b-pillar or whatever it's called being closer to the front but had no problem getting out. I saw another video where the guy couldn't figure out how to turn off his blinker if he accidentally hit it. The normal motion would be to push the opposite way but he was sayin all that did was turn on the other blinker so you were kind of in a loop. Weird if true.

All the reviews on this car say it's super solid. Guess build quality and sales performance over the next 2 years will tell the tale of whether Alfa can be a real player in America.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Buying an Alfa Romeo as a DD -- I could never, ever do that.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think MotorWeek reviewed the car about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I like it, especially the Quadrifoglio, but doubt I'd ever buy anything Fiat/Chrysler/Alfa ... it would probably break down and catch fire (not necessarily in that order) a few times on the first drive home. lol.

Richie_Rich likes this.