1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alexander likes Rockets' chances

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketman2000, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2646789

Owner believes McGrady trade will take place
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle
    RESOURCES

FORUM:
    What's your take on proposed trade of Steve Francis? Send comments here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NBA DRAFT:
    • Draft tracker | Players

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2004 NBA Playoffs
    HEAR IT NOW
    AUDIO: Pistons win NBA title:
    • Phil Jackson: This was a very talented team
    • Larry Brown: Pretty incredible feeling
    • Kobe Bryant: They executed extremely well
    • Chauncey Billups: Nobody gave us a chance
    Requires the free RealPlayer
    • Playoff scoreboard
    • Playoff schedule
    • East schedule
    • West schedule

Complete coverage:
    • 2004 Playoffs

SPORTS POLL
    What do you think of a Steve Francis for Tracy McGrady deal?

A win-win situation for Rockets
    A bad deal. Francis is too valuable to Rockets
    Rockets need more changes than just Francis

Rockets owner Leslie Alexander, showing the frustration of a "very difficult" week, said Thursday night he still expects the Rockets to land Tracy McGrady in the blockbuster trade currently on hold.

Alexander believes the Rockets have made the Orlando Magic the best offer to land the NBA's top scorer of the past two seasons.

"We think we have a trade that will benefit the team," Alexander said. "We also think it is a good trade for Orlando. They are terrific players we're trading. We'd like to get it done."

The Rockets had agreed Monday to send guards Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley and center/forward Kelvin Cato to the Magic for McGrady, forward Juwan Howard and guards Tyronn Lue and Reece Gaines.

Asked if he knew of any roadblock to completing the deal, Alexander said: "No. I think we're going to get it done. But who knows? It's not up to me."

Alexander said the Rockets' offer is especially strong because of the playoff showings of Francis and Mobley this past season.

"It's vital that when you get to the playoffs you have players that can step up," Alexander said. "Our players that we're trading have shown they can step up in the playoffs. The other players (mentioned in trade speculation with the Magic) have not done that."

The trade was originally held up for the completion of the Charlotte Bobcats' expansion draft Tuesday because the Magic did not protect Gaines. When Gaines went unclaimed, there was speculation Francis' initial reluctance to play for the Magic prevented Orlando officials from completing the deal. But Magic general manager John Weisbrod said Wednesday that was not a factor.

2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

3. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Amusing.

The same interview also generated a headline that Alexander was 'Concerned' about the trade.

:rolleyes:

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Actually, I think that was added on by the poster when it was originally posted in whatever thread it was posted in.

5. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

My biggest concern now is this. What happens if the trade doesnt go down?

Mobley's feelings should be hurt. We all know that Cato is a man of pride and his feelings should be hurt.

And I also dont buy that Steve is now all of a sudden OK with being traded. Does anyone remember when the trade with down with the Spurs? Then it got cancled in the end, by deal for all of our players involved. I hate to see this kind of thing happen.

I dont want the trade to go through. I think TMac can play and all, but I dont believe he is a Rocket Man. I think you can peek ahead a few years and it will be like the Pippen Trade.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I predicted he'd come around a couple of days ago (not here, unfortunately, because the board was down for non-contributors). I'm not surprised. He's a bit too impulsive with his initial reaction to news. I knew he'd get over it.

7. Hmm

Hmm Member

Immaturity.

8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

If this trade goes down, I think Les would agree that this team would be one of the great teams in the history of the NBA.

9. DaneB

DaneB Member

So I wonder how this team would match up with last year's "greatest team"? lol