1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alex Bregman for MVP

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by joshuaao, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Buck Turgidson

This is...small sample...since the post by t*** McGee and her sister?

So, same angle, just harder contact?

Also...without gas station supplements?

Nook likes this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Missed what you were referring too. Was bouncing between threads.

Pre July 1st, post July 1st. Missed what you were referring to.
    Slightly harder but much more often at optimal angle for doubles and homers between 20 and 40 degrees (23% to nearly 35%). Line drives are times he barely misses ball and sends it lower than he wants. High flies are when he barely misses ball and send it higher than he wants.

Capture.JPG

#22 Joe Joe, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  3. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Just don't think of the league MVP as a guy that hit .260 for the majority of the year.

4. Buck Turgidson

Base hits are good. Base hits do not make outs. Base hits move runners multiple bases.

Is it a be-all-end-all? Of course not. But to disregard that ability without taking all the other stuff into consideration is foolish. It's frankly the kind of bullsh!t that allows books written about GMs to be completely misunderstood by people who have never read said book.

Nook likes this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I hate that I usually can't resist discussions on batting average. When talking with stats guys, I am just a dummy that loves a meaningless stat as guys with high batting averages usually are good. To non-stat guys, I am a heretic as I don't really care where value comes from, and I'm perfectly fine with a guy batting 0.260 if he's better than a guy batting 0.280 or 0.300.

arkoe and Buck Turgidson like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Love it. Is there such thing as a "non-stat-guy?" It's always been 2 parts of the same whole. Maybe 30 years ago there was serious blowback, but, I'm not sure even then, this is why I hate Moneyball. It's totally misunderstood.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Non-stat guys (not counting traditional baseball stats) are still prevalent in bars, twitter, and back alleys of the internet. Basically, almost anyone that uses batting average in a positive light.

Been a while since I've read Moneyball, but the basic was acquiring value cheaper that others don't recognize as value. I think most people get this, but maybe not get that what's cheap value is a fluid concept dependent on what others value.

Hypothetical: 2 players each come to the plate 700 times in a season, played same position equally well in the field, and have identical OBP (0.350) and slugging percentage (0.480), but Player A has a BA of 0.260 and Player B has a BA of 0.300, are they near equal in value or is Player B clearly better?

Wulaw Horn and Buck Turgidson like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Don't go there? Or...find better bars.

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Batting Titles are still well respected, so I'm rolling with the higher BA.

10. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Depends on if you're slap happily hitting a bunch of singles or hitting for power. I don't feel that I'm wrong though in that Bregman has traditionally started slow and ramps up as the season goes on.

I'll go back to my favorite back alley of the internet now.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

With respect to your hypothetical (if my math is correct):

.260 guy
    160 hits in 615 official at bats and 85 walks, 1.86 total bases per hit

.300 guy
    195 hits In 650 at bats and 50 walks , 1.60 total bases per hit

12. Buck Turgidson

Line drive Bregman is the best Bregman.

everyday eddie likes this.
  13. SemisolidSnake

She's more interested in a Most Virile Player

14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

He is walking at a great rate... when it is 3-0 or 3-1, I rather have him take a walk than swinging for a pitch that has BABIP lower if he makes contact than the chances of an umpire Krupa-ing/Angel-ing/Joe West-ing calling a strike

NIKEstrad likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

He is in the middle of the order to create/produce runs. He was not good at this earlier in the year. He's been kicking the **** out of the ball recently. So...this is good.

No offense, but most of what you said is complete horseshit.

#36 Buck Turgidson, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

0.300 guy is going to have less extra base hits though to 312 total bases spread over 195 hits. Let's say 24 homers and 45 doubles, with remaining 126 being singles.

0.260 guy has 295 total bases spread over 160 hits. Let's say 30 homers and 45 doubles and remaining 85 being singles. Could use other combinations, but easier to see difference with doubles the same.

So are 7 singles worth 6 walks and a homer?

lnchan likes this.
  17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Two outs in the 9th, winning run on third, give me the .300 hitter. Two outs in the 9th, tie game, give me the other guy. :)

HatsForBats and lnchan like this.
  18. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Hopefully this is not complete horse**** like someone straight up said earlier about my takes... but this is what makes Gurriel and Brantley so valuable. They understand the game situation and know what they need to try to do. Some players only have one gear and one approach...

Jake Tower likes this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Brantley and Gurriel have value because they can hit. Switching gears is just a way for them to get hits. In the end, if you know what a guy's OBP and slugging are, the batting average of a player doesn't matter much in determining value that isn't already done by OBP and slugging.

MrBear1 and lnchan like this.