1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alex Bregman called up...... for real!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I think the move became all too easy to make once Marwin sprained his ankle. You have some daily infield at-bats open up, just shift Valbuena to 1st and stick Bregman at 3B for a few days while Marwin heals up. Then when everyone's healthy do the whole rotate in LF/3B/DH thing.

Colby's starts are gone until he can show that his hand-eye has returned to what it was in the beginning of the year. And that he can recognize a slider down and away. I'm surprised baseball hasn't figured out a surrogate for hand-eye coordination, since it's known that players go through hot and cold spells. Why not sit them while they're cold and bring them back when they've proven they can make their muscle memory do what they want it to do again? Instead of wasting valuable AB's trying to let them swing their way back into a rhythm. I imagine some kind of virtual reality game could approximate it, like a TruGolf for baseball players.

2. texans1095

texans1095 Member

You can't possibly consider AJ Reed to already be a failure. By no means did he live up to expectations in his brief time in Houston, but you can't deem the guy a failure after a few weeks of being in the bigs. Give him a couple more months on the big league team and then you can start to judge whether or not he's already a failure.

3. HTOWNTAKEOVER

HTOWNTAKEOVER Member

by that logic I guess Mike Trout was a failure since he came out the gate struggling

4. what

what Member

Wow, your assumption is that everybody on that list except AJ is completely washed up? Wow. I wasn't even thinking that.

I still have hope for the players on that list, unlike you, who only appear to care about the great AJ Reed.

My point was that the call-ups have not worked out lately. That is basically it.

5. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

We aren't a rebuilding club anymore with the time too let guys struggle and adjust too the majors but Springer, Keuchel, etc struggled mightily and had they had someone red hot pushing for a job they might have been sent down too. Two years too early on Reed & Moran being fails

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Feliz, Devenski, and Vincent Velasquez have done fine.

7. cdain3

cdain3 Member

That Lance McCullers guy has been alright.

8. phasors28

phasors28 Member

JD Martinez and Folty failed for a while. It just takes time sometimes.

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Awesome! Just saw the news, missed it earlier today.

This team is so fun to watch.

10. vince

vince Member

The future is now!!! Wow, all the top guys are getting to the show. Now our best prospect has been called up.

Springer
    Bregman
    Altuve
    Correa
    Valbuena
    Rasmus
    Gomez
    Gattis / Castro
    Tucker

Soon Yuriel will be in the lineup.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Looks like @<a href="https://twitter.com/ABREG_1">ABREG_1</a> is getting a warm welcome from the guys. (via @<a href="https://twitter.com/TeamCJCorrea">TeamCJCorrea</a>'s Instagram) <a href="https://t.co/Fel7SpbcpT" title="http://twitter.com/astros/status/757423495005376512/photo/1" org_href="http://twitter.com/astros/status/757423495005376512/photo/1">pic.twitter.com/Fel7SpbcpT</a></p>&mdash; Houston Astros (@astros) <a href="https://twitter.com/astros/status/757423495005376512" data-datetime="2016-07-24T22:53:28+00:00">July 24, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. cdain3

cdain3 Member

[​IMG]

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

That pool photo looks like a bad photo shop....their feet on that floor look strange....

Either way.....Loving it!

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Did Correa buy a house in Houston? Last I remember, he was in an apartment. That lnstgram photo looks like a house.

15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The high ceiling in that pic is luxury :cool:

Determining rookie status:

A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service and time on the disabled list)

16. PhiSlammaJamma

17. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

I highly doubt there is enough time for him to beat out Mazara or Fulmer. He would need less than 130 AB to be eligible for it next year

18. conquistador#11

19. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

I know we all wanted it earlier but the timing does make more sense now with the injuries and Colby slump. Add in the fact that we just came off a sweep, Bregman will have less pressure on his shoulders to carry the team and I'm sure that will help his mentality and approaches at the plate.

When Reed got called up it seemed like he was overthinking and asked to do a lot. We had him higher in the order which probably put too much pressure on him and caused him to have that 0-fer start.

20. Mattician

Mattician Member