1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alabama passes near total abortion ban

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, May 15, 2019.

1. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Uhh no. Feminists in a number of state legislatures (including Texas) have actually and officially tried to start, or at least suggest, legislation on this, and for the same reason.

Now, maybe these attempts are "for show," but it is state legislators in a number of states, making these arguments within their respective capitol buildings.

That alone is enough to take it seriously, at least on the basis that these feminist legislators are BSC.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

They are 100% for show.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What is the number?

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That may be, but Pro-Lifers are still asking the government to intervene on what a woman can do with her body based on religious beliefs.

5. biff17

biff17 Member

While I agree with you stance that men should be considered and thought of, it's much easier to wear a condom that get tubes tied.

Those things should in no way be compared.

A man has as much control in getting a woman pregnant as not he can always choose to wear a condom or only have sex with a committed partner.

I don't think just because a man sleeps with a woman he has a day on what she chooses to do with her body.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  6. biff17

biff17 Member

This makes no sense.

if the man does not want child support he can wear a condom or not have sex outside of a committed relationship.

it's his choice and he should now the consequences of his actions yes a the condom can break but he knew that going in.

Men are hardly innocent victims.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Nature doesn’t fit our rules. The reality is that the woman has to carry the child, has to take the risks, has to bond with the child after birth and deal with post pardum.

The man only has to pay child support if the mother keeps the child and raises it. The law doesn’t look at what is the best interest of the man or woman but the best interest of the child. So if the woman keeps the child, the father will pay support. FWIW men receive child support if they keep the child.

Trust me, it isn’t a clean or “fair” situation all the way around.I used to think it was unfair if a man didn’t want a child that he had to pay. It took me until my 30’s to feel differently.

I have a son. I will tell him the same thing I have told my nephews and friends. He did proactive with birth control. It is a personal responsibility and don’t leave it up to someone else because it is a life altering event

If men could grow babies inside them as well, then it would be a different discussion.

We like fairness in Western culture and equality, unfortunately sometimes reality and nature do not cooperate. So we do the best we can.

mdrowe00, FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Well, a women that doesn’t believe fetus is life exactly feels she is being oppressed when she has no said so and control over her body.

People who believe the fetus is life should understand that's a belief. It is certainly not proven to be real. People who believe the fetus is not life should also understand that's also a belief. It is not proven that's true also. All we have is some definition of vitality and no definition of when life starts, and we will likely NEVER have a scientific definition of when life starts. It all comes down to beliefs.

So, the reality is that there are different beliefs. When you said you disagree with some notion of oppression, that's really not accepting that indeed there is oppression and it's very real. Likewise, when someone said they aren't killing a life and it's no one business except their, that's not accepting that indeed there is pain for those that believe life has been taken and it's very real.

In the end of the day, no one want an unwanted pregnancies. And I think I can said with 100% confident that the root cause of any abortion is an unwanted pregnancy. The most practical, effective, direct solution thus is to work toward solving that root cause.

RayRay10 and biff17 like this.
  10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

do people actually think drawing equivalence between innocent unborn children and death row convicts is clever?

cml750 likes this.
  11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No just consistent.

No Worries likes this.
  12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great tweet. I hardly ever say those two words together.

13. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Why is Alabama proud to be stuck in 1956?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

All lives matter.

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I've read through the thread and some of you guys have made me a lot smarter on the topic, so I truly appreciate the good conversation. I have a question, since Alabama is attempting to define what a person means by federal law, how is it that abortion laws and murder laws differ in regards to a fetus.

So for example, a person is defined as someone who is born and outside of the utera, but if a pregnant woman is stabbed (lets pretend the stabbing happens in the first trimester), if the mom lives but the fetus does not survive, by definition in some states the suspect will be charged with murder for killing the fetus, am I correct? Why can't it be that he suspect is only charged with attempted murder (since the mom lived)? The fetus by definition is not a person so there appears to be an inconsistency how in one case it will be considered murder, but if the same mom aborted the fetus, she and the physicians are protected by law.

I'm not prolife, but I am annoyed about this inconsistency. I did a little bit of research and only could find that several states will charge the suspect with murder which sounds outrages to me if we have defined the fetus as not a person.

16. Nook

Nook Member

The inconsistency has been there for a long time and it bothers me too. I will just say it is far from the only inconsistentcy in the law.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

It is a very difficult issue and this is part of the reason why the Alabama law is not going to be what the current SCOTUS determines is the national standard, post-Roe, contrary to what a number of posters in this thread have suggested. Personhood (What is a person?) is certainly likely to be an important factor in any such decision that the SCOTUS hands down, but only someone who is taking an overly simplistic view of this subject is going to expect that this will be the only factor or that the kinds of concerns that you have mentioned will not also be weighed and taken into account.

If there is a more difficult decision that our SCOTUS can possibly weigh in on that this one, I really cannot imagine what it might be.

18. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Take it up with some of our Catholic brethren.

19. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Unless it involves college football, nobody should copy Alabama in any way.

20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Commodore said:
    do people actually think drawing equivalence between innocent unborn children and death row convicts is clever?

Some of the Catholics are so pro-life that unlike the conservatives they do not accept the flimsiest of excuses for killing hundreds of thousands in foreign wars. And by the way don't forget some of those brown folks' lives lost are actually women with innocent fetuses.

RayRay10 likes this.