1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Akron Beacon Journal: “From LeBron’s own lips he doesn’t like Houston as a City”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rudy, Jun 12, 2018.

1. rocketseagles07

Lol man I’m in the Air Force and I’m in philly coming from San Antonio. The prices here are INSANE. I make more money to live out here and it still doesn’t matter between tolls and my $1900 apt

everyday eddie, D-rock and RyanB like this.
  2. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

That’s how cost of living ratioing is supposed to work;)

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

lebron doesn't like houston? how's he liking them ass beatings from steph curry every year? get over it.

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Philly had a bad rep but it is a cool city now. Walkable downtown, good restaurants, great music roots, nice greenspace along the rivers. I was in a bar one night near UPenn dancing with all the large black women and freakin Questlove walked in and got on the turntables! Philly is cheap compared to DC. Good town, bad rap. Now Baltimore is another story. . . .

tycoonchip and Tfor3 like this.
  5. mockster

mockster Member

No doubt, that’s why I said were defiantly not the worse

6. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

I was born in France to immigrant parents from some small town in Algeria.

I remember my Dad telling the story of how his job offered to take him to the US and he was dreaming of LA, nyc, Chicago, Miami, etc but they told him Houston and he was pissed off and almost didn’t move us.

He did and he has loved Houston since. Basically, we all know Houston is not a sexy city. If you are visiting the USA for the first time Houston would be like 30th on your list. Even in Texas, Houston is behind Austin, SA, Dfw in sexiness. It’s like going to England for the first time ever and going to Birmingham instead of London.

But Houston low key has plenty of art, culture, etc that rich people love and I don’t think any athlete that has played in Houston has bashed it. Houston is a great multi cutural city that Lebron would love. Having said all that, I left Houston after HS in 1997 and I haven’t lived there since.

It’s certainly better than Cleveland.

7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

In all honesty Lebron doesn't have to really like tbe city of Houston. Lebron loves CP3 and rings.

everyday eddie and Tfor3 like this.
  8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

The only reason to go to Houston is to win a championship. it's not a destination city. that's just the simple truth of it.

D-rock and rocketman12 like this.
  9. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

The fact that the media is writing about Houston in connection with LeBron is encouraging

D-rock likes this.
  10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Tilman needs to move the Rockets to a better city in order to attract LeBron.

francis 4 prez and sammy like this.
  11. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Seattle or Vegas?

12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

That's such a vague statement, it almost seems like it's something Lebron wouldn't say. He's a smart guy, a savvy guy. If he were to say something, I believe it would be more reasonable than that. Like, "I don't like Houston because it's always hot". Or maybe he doesn't like the mayor? It's just not Hollywood, they don't have as large of a media presence, something....

"I don't like Houston as a city" is a stupid statement, especially someone coming from Cleveland-literally-smells-like-burning-sewage-Ohio. Houston is a really cool city, all things considered.

ryano2009 likes this.
  13. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

everyday eddie likes this.
  14. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

What ever happened to real reporting? This crap is just as bad reading gossip magazines, with nothing substantative to say.

LeBron is playing to catch Jordan as the best player of all time. To do that, he needs more championships. Other than Golden State, which team gives him the best chance to achieve his basketball legacy goals? The Rockets.

Now you might say, what about LA and all their young assets they could trade? If the Spurs mend the fences with Kawhi, there’s no premier player on the trade market to be LA’s third star. And why would the Spurs be motivated to deal Kawhi to enable the Lakers to form a second super team in their own conference? They’d either move him to Boston, or if LeBron were to sign with Philly, they could engage Philly in a Kawhi for Simmons swap since Simmons’ game clashes with LeBron’s.

The players the Lakers could get are guys like DeRozan or Lowry in Toronto, Kemba Walker, or maybe they could persuade the Wizards to trade Wall (a horrible fit next to LeBron because he is a poor perimeter shooter) or Beal. But there’s no reports either of those teams wants to move those guys. There’s McCollum in Portland, but like the Spurs, I don’t see the Blazers wanting to help form a second super team in the West. The only realistic fits in the West are Conley and Gasol in Memphis, and they would need both to beat the Warriors, which the Lakers can’t afford under the cap and still get George and LeBron.

Also, even if the Lakers trade a package of Ingram, Ball and Kuzma for DeRozan, Lowry, Wall, Beal or McCollum, that big three isn’t as good as Golden State’s. LeBron is better than KD, but Curry is better than PG13 and Thompson better or equal to any of those trade targets. The Warriors also have Draymond Green and the Lakers don’t. Finally, outside of LeBron and George, where are the perimeter defenders to effectively defend the Warriors?

#194 DVauthrin, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    everyday eddie likes this.
  15. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

No you do not, I was born and raised in Michigan and loved Houston from day 1 in May 28, 1986. Every time I leave the city for vacay or work, I always have a smile on my face when the pilot says we approaching Houston. I just dislike the country cowboy boot way they portray us on TV. We are the 3rd largest in the US with the most diverse population.

rockets13champs likes this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Come on this can't be a surprise, Houston is no cultural icon, it has the ship channel, is built in a swamp, and isn't exactly known for much other than big misquitos.

Houston has NEVER been a destination location - we love our sports, but the city, yeah, not so much.

DD

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

It’s known for a lot more than that and has more to do than Austin

Don’t use this thread to Houston bash. You’re rounding back to your true old self. Tigers never loses its stripes. Back to being wrong about every damn thing I see

He has spent most of his life in Ohio FFS. He wasn’t coming here to be in LA, he would be coming to have a chance of winning multiple championships

legacygt777 likes this.
  18. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

Htown known for only mosquitoes? You've got to be kidding. Houston will be passing up Chicago in the next 5 years to be the 3rd largest city in the nation. It's been recently ranked one of the top fastest growing cities in america by Forbes. Bizjournal ranks Houston #7 best city to live in. 3 years ago Business Insider ranked Houston #1 city for job creation. We've got the best skyline in the south and a ton of nightlife spread out plus all kinds of events going on all the time. We've also got some awesome live venues for music and clubs. It's your fault if you can't find them. Yeah its hot and not too glamorous but it's hard to beat the job and housing market here.

Houston destroys Cleveland and Akron combined, places Lebron lives.
    Here are more Houston Awards:
    https://www.visithoustontexas.com/media/houston-media-kit/awards-rankings/

19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

If Lebron didn't want to join the Rockets because he personally thinks he can construct a better team, then so be it. If he did say something like this then it becomes a personal attack on my hometown. I love Houston! I've had to travel to a bunch of places in my time and I am saying there is still nothing like Houston. I dare Lebron to take a trip down to Houston and spend a week with Chris Paul, James Harden, DMorey and another Houstonian that knows Houston. Take him down to River Oaks, Tanglewood, Sugarland, the Museum district, to see all the beautiful neighborhoods Houston has. I dare him to sit through Morey's and Batman Jones' new musical to see the growing arts scene. Houston is no L.A. but it is one of the fastest growing cities I have ever seen. I believe there is also a Ny times article about the demographic of Houston is so complex that it compares to only the 7 train in NYC. I hope the city of Houston actually dares him to come visit and spend some time with some people that can really show him around. When he moves to L.A. and realizes he is just another fish in a pond in the entertainment industry, he'll regret the second he picked up his bags and moved to one of the most superficial cities in the world. I hope the entire city of Houston dares him to spend some time in Houston and lets us show him a good time and how amazing the city is!

DonKnock, rusHour and Fyreball like this.
  20. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Lol LA just wants him to stay relevant as a basketball Team. That Team and Paul George will loose in 5 to the warriors.

DonKnock likes this.