1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AJ Bouye signs 5-year, $67M deal with Jaguars

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ROXRAN, Oct 30, 2016.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

He will easily eclipse that number. Going off last offseason, Janoris Jenkins signed 5 years, 62.5 million, with 28.8 million guaranteed. If Bouye isnt at that level, it wont be for much less. 5 years, 55 million, with 25 million guaranteed. That would be my guess. Cant see him making less than that unless he really wants to give Houston a discount.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

CBS Sports' Joel Corry expects impending free agent CB A.J. Bouye to command "at least Janoris Jenkins money" on his new contract.

Jenkins received $12.5 million annually and $28.8 million guaranteed from the Giants as the league's seventh-highest-paid corner last offseason. He answered with the best year of his career. Bouye is nearly three full years younger than Jenkins and doesn't turn 26 until August. Youth is the biggest thing working in his favor. Bouye is one of the top free agents set to hit the market.
    ________

As for A.J. Bouye, the 25-year-old who went from reserve to top-end corner this season, Corry predicts he'll make "at least Janoris Jenkins money -- $12.5 million a year -- at least," despite not having much of a track record before this season.

http://www.espn.com/blog/philadelph...les-for-free-agent-wide-receivers-cornerbacks

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

These reporters are doing AJ a huge one with all these projections. He should send them a check.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Franchise him with a high draft pick comp. If he signs elsewhere, that backfills a pick you're going to use to trade for Jimmy G. 2 birds..

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

This is probably what I would do. We don't have many significant FAs this year, so if you tag him and then let him perform decent again, you'll only have something to gain. I'm sure someone will overpay for the game, whether its this year or next year (if he performs well again with us).

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

#86 zeeshan2, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  7. JoeyTexas254

JoeyTexas254 Member

Bring AJ back !!! :(

8. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I was looking at someone's mock draft maybe Matt Miller and he had about 6 or 7 corners in the top 50. The consensus is that this is a very strong draft for DBs. I imagine this will have some impact on how much Bouye can reasonably expect to get from either the Texans or from someone else.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I like this idea (of franchising him...not the Jimmy Garappolo part) as it's a 1-year deal to make sure it wasn't a flash in the pan. It would be a pricey year but then we're not tied to him beyond that if he goes back to being a backup level player.

Creepy Crawl and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  10. today

today Contributing Member

Looks like the cost to franchise Bouye will be $14.3m - $15.7m for 2017 (estimates from 2 different websites). I like that idea better than signing him to a long-term deal, but not if it means losing the opportunity to get a QB like Romo/Rivers who give us the opportunity to win a championship.

Also keep in mind that we'll have KJ coming back, and coming off an injury we may be able to extend him at a bargain price, rather than overpay for Bouye based upon one year.

11. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Rivers? Let me guess- Brock + 3rd, right?

12. today

today Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure that it would take at least a 3rd round pick to get another team to take Brock off our hands.

The only way Rivers leaves is if he continues to feud with the front office over the move from San Diego and other issues from the past. Yes, a long shot, but IMO he's the only other *potentially* available QB that has what it takes to get us to the Super Bowl.

We had a shot at Stafford last year when he was rumored to be unhappy in Detroit (before Brock), but I'm sure that Rick Smith didn't even make the call to see what they would be asking for him. #TenuredGM

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

The one downside to franchising him is that it would wipe out a good 60% of our cap right off the back. Think we would've likely see a number of cap casualties anyways but we would absolutely need to if we franchise AJ and want to be somewhat of a player in FA. Another possible option is back loading a long-term deal which has pros and cons of its own.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If we let Bouye go and get Romo/Rivers, it's not clear we'll be good enough.

After all, Romo and Rivers have never made the super bowl either.

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I think generally people are looking at the Texans CBs and judging it based on committed $ (high btwn Kareem and JJ) and Kareem's rep. But (a) JJ will be gone in a year. What then? Thinking about that, a 1 year overpay at a position is ok (b) Kareem moving to safety changes the perceived committed $ at CB

And (c) in a league where you increasingly need to consider putting your #1 or #2 CB in the slot on the Brown/Edelman/Beckhams of the world when they line up inside, I really believe more and more that we need Bouye back. Being able to put him inside sometimes and still have solid play outside is enormous.

All that said, I'm still on the franchise train to let him prove it again / go long-term if he does once JJ is off

Yaosthirdleg and Two Sandwiches like this.
  17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Nailed it.

Franchise Bouye if you must, move Kareem to safety, let Demps walk, cut Cushing, but try and bring him back on a much lesser contract.

18. gucci888

I'm not entirely sure JJ won't be a cap casualty this year. Cutting him saves us $6.4M which is pretty significant given our situation. Franchising AJ will wipe out $15M or so of our $24M in current cap space, take out the rookie pool and we're left with around $4M give or take for FA. Obviously we'll make other cuts but JJ provides the biggest savings of the "potential" cuts.

kaleidosky likes this.
  19. gucci888

Prob not a big deal but quotes like this worry me as a Houstonian.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Pat has some skepticism: