1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AJ Bouye signs 5-year, $67M deal with Jaguars

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ROXRAN, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I am fine with losing him, but the contract he signed is really not as bad as it looks at first blush.

What I find more concerning is that they have passed on signing solid replacements in the secondary not that Bouye and Demps are gone, the secondary is very vulnerable.

The Texans could have signed Prince Amukamara for what he got from Chicago (1 year/ 7 million). The money is low and while he isn't a star, he is a capable corner.

2. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I went over to Brock's Instagram page the day we signed him last year. I wanted to denounce being a sports fan right then and there. The comments were just unbelievably disgusting. Calling him every name in the book and demeaning his character to a degree that was just unfathomable to me. And why? Because he took the most money available to him. We all would have done exactly the same!!

It was the first time (and last time) I went on an athlete's Instagram account and read the comments.

In short, do your thing AJ. I ain't mad at ya.

#382 eric.81, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  3. Major

Major Member

You need to stop talking about me or what I need to do, since this is a Texans sub and a thread about AJ Bouye.

The Hunted likes this.
  4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

You think you're so smart but all you've done is shown how smart I am and how stupid you are.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Best corner on the team by far last year.

6. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/13/nfl-free-agency-patriots-browns-49ers-peter-king

Fans need to take a step back before talking about garbage for taking the money.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He also was flagged for 10 penalties for 122 yards, twice as many penalties as the next most by a corner on the team and one more than Kareem, Jonathan, and Kevin combined for.

Yaosthirdleg and houstonstime like this.
  8. justtxyank

And right in line with the other elite corners in the NFL (actually less than most)

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yet not in line with the other corners on this team....you can't just ignore than he got flagged more than the team's top 3 other corners combined. Well, you can.....it's just not the right thing to do.

In the end, he was a good corner, but it's not doom and gloom that he's gone.

10. justtxyank

So the fact that he had more passes broken up then all of our corners combined, had one of the lowest completion %s against in the league, was a top 3 corner in the league according to PFF, etc. is all discounted because he had 1 more PI then Richard Sherman and Aqib Talib, the same number as Gilmore and Davis and less than Ramsey, Peterson or Norman?

You are hanging on 1 stat where he was worse than the guys on the team, but on part with other elite corners to mitigate the fact that he was by far and away the best secondary player on team.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

It's not that he wasn't good, just not work the money when we definitely have bigger needs. Would it have been nice to keep Bouye? yes, but if we are able to get Romo and or a good OT in FA, then it was worth letting him go. His penalties were at the most inopportune time and most of them were when Hoodie realized his faults and attacked him.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The fact that he was targeted so often indicates that QB's weren't afraid to throw his way.....and for good reason, he gave them more free first downs via penalty than JJo, Kjax, and Kevin combined for. You REALLY can't ignore that part of the story even if it goes against your narrative that he's the greatest in the world.

I mean, there was no one on the team flagged as much as Bouye, 2nd on the list was Chris Clark....

Screwing over the team by giving the opposing offense a free first down by getting flagged is every bit as bad as giving them a free first down by blowing a coverage most of the time.

13. justtxyank

Agreed. Seahawks should get rid of Sherman, Cardinals Peterson, Redskins Norman, Broncos Talib, etc. etc. because those guys are screwing them.

The others didn't get PIs but they also burned a lot, gave up higher completion %s etc. Other QBs may have targeted Bouye a lot, but the QB rating when targeting him was basically a bad quarterback.

He's not the best ever, but he was the best we had last year for sure.

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

No doubt that the other guys on the list doubled, if not tripled, their counterparts as well but I wouldn't consider them just "good corners" using that measure. I'm not in the doom and gloom crowd with Bouye either but you have to be concerned with who is replacing him.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well when you still have Joseph, Kjax, and Kevin on the team, it's not as big a deal. It's not like we're talking about bad CB's here. I just think the whole thing is overblown a bit, especially given how good of a DB draft class this is supposed to be. I'm glad that Bouye got paid, but I feel more comfortable not being the team to do so.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Agreed. I do understand folks freaking out though as 2 broken foots in 2 seasons for Kevin Johnson is really worrisome. KJax is always bound to miss 2-3 games a season and as solid as JJo has been, his age will catch up sooner than later. Plus think you need as much depth in the secondary as you can get.

It does put a DB in the 1st round in play though which opens things up more for BPA if some of the OL go higher than expected.

17. justtxyank

I'm not freaking out, but I am pushing back against the idea that Bouye isn't a big loss.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's a good player, but he was a good player at a deep position and this is a deep CB draft. He's the best player the team could afford to lose.

Yaosthirdleg and Two Sandwiches like this.
  19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't have anything backing it up, stat-wise, but I have this sneaking feeling like last season was far and away the peak season for Bouye. Not that he won't be a valuable member of the secondary at other teams, but I just have this hunch that he is never going to be anywhere near as good, consistently, as the stats indicated last season.

20. Joseph Ho

Joseph Ho Member

The one thing that frustrates me about this management is that they could have kept AJ Bouye through Franchise tagging him but they chose not to knowing he will leave via free agency. Even us fans knew he would definitely leave if they allow him to get to Free Agency. AJ Bouye was the reason why our secondary was playing great and he is a big part of our defense.

Even though he was a UFA and signed with Jacksonville, it was the Texans fault for allowing that to happen. Kareem and Johnathan Joseph has regressed last season and they are only getting older. AJ was the reason why the Texans was able to check top tier WRs that Kareem and Johnathan often struggled against. Kevin Johnson has issues with staying healthy but he's young and talented. The Texans had a chance at having one of the top CB Duos in the NFL when Kevin Johnson returns. They could have made moves in order to sign AJ but they chose not to. The fact that they allow a young and talented corner go sign with our division rival and kept our aging corner who struggled mightily this season just shows incompetence in management.

When Rick Smith and O'Brien stated how they wanted AJ Bouye back, I had a good feeling they weren't too serious to keep him. Now because of their incompetence, they are trying to trade away a high draft pick in order to acquire another Cornerback.