1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Aggressiveness] What was the turning point for Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stack24, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I don't personally know when it was because i have been spotty in watching Rockets games because of work. But the last 3 games it really seems Yao has become a beast in his own mind. He is dunking more and not settling for layups like he used to.

Does he sense the urgency and start to become someone we have wanted? The center that could basically dunk on anyone and yell and get fired up?

Was there something i missed before he started playing like this?

2. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

i think he's on roids.

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Well watching the game @ NY the ABC announcers kept saying how bad Yao felt that he was out for so long just when Tracy came back and that he let his teammates down. I think that along with the fact that there is a sense of urgency right now. I think it would dissapoint Yao himself quite a bit if we didnt make the playoffs this year. There is a small window of opportunity right now to get into the playoffs and I like how Yao is giving it his all.

Also the fact that he is probably playing pain-free for the first time all season long helps tremondously.

4. jm434

jm434 Contributing Member

i think it started once he returned to te court... i mean he realized that he has to carry this team along with tmac if order to succeed... coz without tmac the team didnt win a single game... im sure he now understands that u cant make it a one-mans team and decided to step up and become more aggressive.

5. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Clearly Ewing is finally getting through Yao's thick skull. ;)

6. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

lol..roid rage grrrr :D

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think Yao has been great, but I have noticed that teams don't seem to be fronting and doubling him as much as they did earlier in the season. Even when McGrady is sitting out. Did the Rockets improve their offense to get Yao the ball in good post up situations, or are we just facing teams that don't know how to defend him?

The biggest improvements I've seen is he's not turning the ball over as much, his stamina appears to be very good, and he's not committing a lot of fouls. Only one game since he came back in which he had more than 4 fouls.

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

he looks like he has an extra spring in his step which could be a direct result of his toe getting fixed. yao never b****ed about playing through the pain but all accounts were he was doing just that for quite a while. he's now playing with little to no pain and you can see that in the way he moves.

9. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

when Rafer started getting hot.

10. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

good point.. We always said Yao would become a monster when we found people that knew how to get him the ball.

J

11. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

Did you guys see the TOE, after it had healed. It was still ugly, wounded, painful looking. Before it was healed it was an infected, bloody, rubbed raw, mass of open nerves, knife stuck in his toe. Yao is better because his toe os better. Derrick Anderson, pretty boy, wimp, doesn't deserve to be on the same court with the stoic and heroic Yao. Yao is more aggressive because he is not playing in agony.

12. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Yep, thats what I think it is. It's obvious but for basketball, leg injuries are the most critical in affecting performance. If Yao had a toe injury that was serious enough to require surgery, it must have hurt like hell. Funny though, never saw him limp.

13. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

I was reading an article from a Taiwanese news paper a few days ago about Yao's improving recent form. In which it stated that since returning from injury, Yao has been going to the court to practice his shots 2 hours before everyone else during match days, and that he has learned a lot from watching his own video clips whilst nursing his injured toe.

-G'day-

14. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

And so many people still call him a softy, a p***y.

15. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Not to be a party pooper but he normally does well against those centers.

I'm waiting to see what adjustments they make against PHX.

16. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

If PHX is going to continue to front Yao and shade Marion over the top, then Juwan or Swift have to make them pay because they should be wide open.

17. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

That's because it wasn't a real injury.

Just a solid April Fool's Joke.

18. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

Very true techie, the two teams yao has had the most trouble against this year are the suns and the grizzlies. This upcoming game will be a very important game in measuring the rockets improvements. :cool:

19. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I remember Yao always had good games against the Suns before this season. Actually his best game last season is arguably the mid season one against Phoenix. So Amare not playing has actually make the Suns a more tough matchup for the Rockets?

20. superden

superden Contributing Member

i just love seeing yao THROW IT DOWN. it makes me feel good inside. maybe the american culture is getting to him. it is all about being on the top 10 each night :D