1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aggie Corps starting fights again??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Free Agent, Oct 30, 2002.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

different analysis altogether...that fits in the whole competitive sports doctrine assumption of risk stuff...

you can not assume the risk of an intentional tort outside of the realm of competitive sports...that's why some guys have been prosecuted even within the realm of competitive sports for assault, particularly when it happens during a timeout...no one assumes that kind of risk.

2. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Originally posted by Refman
    I don't support it...I just think it's a little disingenuous to do something knowing what might happen and then b**** when it does....

We have convenience stores, and know more will be robbed.

Should we just close them all down?

3. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I think that it was because the contact that occurred was outside the understood terms of the consent in the case. It's been a couple of years though.

4. Cohen

It's not aggie-hatin'. It's embarrassing for the university, as you agreed.

The most embarrassing thing is that so many aggies try to rationalize it. Even if the action was a repeated one, which it is, it wouldn't be as bad if it was roundly denounced by most aggies.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

there is more than one case on this issue...the case i'm thinking about was after a play was completed...some guy laid out another guy...well after...beyond just being a penalty.

6. Refman

So opening a store is equivalent to criminal trespass? I think not.

7. Cohen

Didn't we already ascertain that walking on the field is not criminal?

8. Refman

No...it is a violation of the criminal trespass statute in that the individuals are going onto the field without the consent of the owner. The license to be in the stadium does not extend to the field. Look up the text of the criminal trespass statute of the Texas Penal Code...I think you'll see that it applies.

9. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

They're fun to make fun of though.

10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Refman,
    What *exactly* do you mean by the "Texas Penal Code"? :eek:

11. Refman

It was always tremendous fun to sit with some friends down in Hullabaloo in the MSC, have some snacks and watch the newly balded CTs walk through. :D

12. Refman

LOL

It's ok TJ...only worry if they ever pass a Texas Penile Code. :eek:

13. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

14. Refman

Every time a student is injured or killed it is a tragedy. To insinuate that the other students or the University as a whole intentionally killed anybody is the most stupid thing I have ever heard.

I hope that something you care about deeply burns. Freak.

15. Cohen

Originally posted by Refman
    No...it is a violation of the criminal trespass statute in that the individuals are going onto the field without the consent of the owner. The license to be in the stadium does not extend to the field. Look up the text of the criminal trespass statute of the Texas Penal Code...I think you'll see that it applies.

(Does it state on the ticket that the license doesn't extend to the field? Don't 'no trespass' signs need to be clearly visible to all? Whatever; beside the point.)

Since you claim it is illegal to venture onto the field, has anyone ever been arrested for it? Or just assaulted by third parties? The students do not 'own' the field, nor I doubt are they legal representatives of the University.

Would the legal defense of those assaulting the trespassers argue in court 'they shouldn't b**** since they should have expected a beating'?

It's really simple. Its wrong, its embarrassing for A&M, it's repeated, and it's rationalized by many aggies.

16. Cohen

17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Question...how much "b****ing" is the victim of the ridiculous punch doing? From what I have read, he is not pressing charges, but he simply filed some paperwork at ATM (still haven't read what that was about). It seems to me that most of the "b****ing" that is being done is by bystanders and observers who are appalled at the actions of the person who punched the innocent Nebraska fan.

18. Refman

Go to findlaw.com and look it up. You'll find that it appears to fit the statute.

Yep...just about anywhere it happens at any school.

Nope...they would be found guilty of simple assault and battery. A slap on the wrists and some community service. But I get your point.

19. Refman

Make no mistake...the University will investigate on its own and take appropriate action. They always have anytime ANY student group acts in a manner that the University feels is out of bounds.

Nebraska fans are seeking criminal charges. Were I the University I would support their request...but also insist that criminal trespass charges be filed against the individual who ran onto the field after being told not to.

20. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Still waiting for the corp guy to turn himself in. Don't they have a code of honor/ethics? Someone had to have seen him, but, I guess they all look alike with their haircuts.