1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Agent: Howard won't sign extension (via ESPN)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Cleepy, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Cleepy

Cleepy Member

I was under the impression that if Dwight chose to become a FA at the end of next season, he could only receive a 4-year max contract from an opposing team (ie. not the Magic). If a team were to acquire him via trade this offseason, they would acquire his bird rights and have the ability to sign him to a 5-year max deal. Can Bima or anyone else confirm this? Thanks!

2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

The thing is that Howard probably believes that the Nets will S&T for him at the end of the season.

Unfortunately he is mistaken in thinking that people would be desperate to take Brooke Lopez...

3. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

**** the article, **** espn, **** dwight howard, **** the magic, **** the lakers, **** sources, **** decisions,**** media, **** media posturing, **** superstars, **** agents, ****ity **** **** mother ****ers.

:)

Give me pure old school basketball

2 people like this.
  4. rocketier1

rocketier1 Member

Just replace Indecisive with Dwight Howard in the dictionary... :eek:

5. Ashes

Ashes Member

Grasping at any leverage that remains.

6. poing

poing Member

This absolutely is not news. He never had the intention if signing an extension anywhere. It's exactly as the bolded portion of your excerpt states. What you are saying is accurate. The team with bird rights is able to offer him one more year and larger raises compared to a team without.

Just ESPN reposting something that was clearly obvious. I think a lot of fans following this entire thing are becoming confused with the word "extension". Howard NEVER intended on signing a contract extension ANYWHERE. Even if he ended up going to the Nets, he would've allowed his contract to expire because it's more lucrative for him to sign a new contract. So the real question is which teams he would be willing to sign with after his current contract, and the answer is probably whichever team holds his bird rights.

7. Cleepy

Cleepy Member

Yeah, I realize this isn't exactly news, but no one has bothered to answer my question.

Larry Coon the capologist states:
    I was under the impression that if Dwight chose to become a FA at the end of next season, he could only receive a 4-year max contract from an opposing team (ie. not the Magic). If a team were to acquire him via trade this offseason, they would acquire his bird rights and have the ability to sign him to a 5-year max deal.

8. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Maybe at midseason, he'll sign a one-year extension to keep this drama going.

1 person likes this.
  9. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Morey should call Orlando today and immediately reduce his offer, and inform them that the offer will be reduced again next week.

10. Rocketman81

Rocketman81 Member

Correct. The 2 year and 3 year contracts are extentions. He can sign for 4 years with another team or 5 years for the team he is with AFTER his contract expires.

11. poing

poing Member

This is exactly correct, and I don't think anything in the quoted text contradicts what you just said. He just said simply that Howard is eligible to sign a new five year deal for as much as 108. That's the deal the bird rights team can offer, and that's the highest deal Dwight can get. If a team does acquire him through trade they do acquire his bird rights, and they are the ones capable of offering the 5 years 108.

12. Cleepy

Cleepy Member

Thanks Rocketman81 and poing, I must have just misinterpreted the information.

13. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Well. This guy is an idiot then, if that was his wish he should be a free agent now, not screwing with Orlando's fans for a full 18 months.

14. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I would sign and trade him to BK if he really pushed it. But I would only do it if Deron Williams was part of the package

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

All this does is help the RocketS

16. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

They're probably happy about this since they don't care either way.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Oh my god. This is worse than what Carmelo and LeBron did combined.

18. underrated015

underrated015 Member

I cant believe how incompetent the Magic are. all these reports are driving his trade value down. soo many sources. espn doesnt want him to get traded so they can break news from every source. all in all, this is very good for the rockets.

19. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Apparently, his agent said that is going to test FA market, regardless of what happens...

Two questions: How does this help the Rockets long-term?

Why do you want such a fickle, petty player in the locker room who obviously would not want to be in Houston?

Let the Magic send Dwight Howard to the Bobcats and be done with it.