1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

agent 0

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/...nas-sentenced-days-halfway-house-gun-charges/

WASHINGTON -- Suspended Washington Wizards star Gilbert Arenas was ordered Friday to spend 30 days in a halfway house for his conviction on gun charges stemming from a locker-room confrontation with a teammate.

District of Columbia Superior Court Judge Robert E. Morin also sentenced Arenas to 400 of community service, which cannot be conducted at basketball clinics, and $5,000 fine.

Arenas apologized in court for his actions, saying, "Every day, I wake up wishing it did not happen."

Arenas pleaded guilty to violating the city's gun laws in a Dec. 21 incident at Verizon Center. Following an argument over an unpaid gambling debt, Arenas brought several guns to the Wizards' locker room and set them in front of Javaris Crittenton's locker with a sign telling him to "PICK 1."

2. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

I feel like that's still getting off reaaallly easy, I can see those 400 hours of community service really cutting in to his basketball preparation this summer....

3. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

That 400 hours will easily be spread throughout the season doing community services that NBA players always do.

4. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I'm curious what the Wizards will do now. Termination of his contract appears unlikely now. If he had been in jail when training camp was going on, that would have been a whole other story.

While this is a short term victory for the Players Union, I think it will have a detrimental effect for them long term. What's the point of a Morals Clause in a Standard Player Contract if you can't terminate it even if the player is convicted of a felony on team property? I think that's something Stern will want to remedy when the Lockout commences summer of 2011. I have a feeling that when that Lockout is over, it will be explicitly written into the CBA and a lot easier for a team to terminate a player over illegal activity even if it's just a misdemeanor.

5. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

The Wizards already said they would take back Gilbert once he got done with this sentence.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I doubt a contract can be voided on a misdemeanor charge.

7. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

Under the current CBA, you're almost certainly correct. It would take a seriously twisted misdemeanor offense (probably sexual in nature) to convince an arbitrator to terminate the contract.

I think the Wizards should be able to terminate his contract now, and a whole slew of other players fall in the same boat (Sprewell, Patterson, Jackson, Artest, etc.). I imagine Stern is ticked over the Arenas incident as he was over some of the above-mentioned figures.

I'm curious what Stern and company intend to do about it in the next CBA. The whole thing is going to get rewritten, and I think Stern is keeping a list of things he wants to include. Shorter contracts, hard caps, lower max salaries, and I bet he's got moral clause enforcement on that list. I'd be surprised if he didn't make it a point to give owners more leeway to terminate a contract and will spell it out quite explicitly in the new CBA.

1 person likes this.
  8. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I think the Wiz will keep him despite the temptation to terminate his contract. They already cleared a ton of cap space by trading Butler and Jamison and Arenas could help next year. The Wiz could use him because they suck now.