1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

After seeing 3 weeks of play, what are your predictions for the rest of the season?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocketfanatic2, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Rocketfanatic2

Here are my predictions for the rest of the season. Feel free to leave an explanation for each game.

Raiders - The defense still has problems with the running game, but shut down Jamarcus Russell. Meanwhile, the offense is really sharp, with Kevin Walter leading the way. Andre is contained for the most part by Asomugha, but still ends up with a decent day. Texans build momentum heading into next week by winning in a 34 - 17 victory.

@ Cardinals - Kurt Warner picks the Texans secondary apart, while their running game is about average. The Texans finally have a great running game lead by Slaton who tops 100 yards, and finds the endzone once. In the end the Cardinals pull out a close victory because of the passing game.

@ Bengals - The Bengals who have already upset GB and Pittsburgh, come out playing strong. The Texans fight back using Andre Johnson and Matt Schaub to counter every score by the Bengals. The defense is motivated, and they shut down the Bengals in the 2nd half, while the offense keeps rolling. Texans pick up another win to go to 3 and 3 on the year.

49ers - The Texans running game is once again very successful, while the defense finally shuts down the opponents running game. Schaub plays average, with Owen Daniels having a solid day. The game gets boring in the 2nd half, meaning not many scoring. Houston leaves Reliant Stadium with a win before heading to Buffalo.

@ Bills - Trent Edwards turns the ball over in the opening drive, and the Texans quickly respond with a TD. From there on, The Bills don't come close to us, and both sides of the ball pick up momentum before a crucial game in Indianapolis. Texans manage another victory to increase to 5 and 3 on the year.

@ Colts - The Texans start out solid in the 1st half, but the Colts defense starts to put a hurting on Schaub, and our whole game falls apart. The defense keeps fighting and fighting, only to watch their hopes of a win wash away with Manning throwing a deep TD to Wayne to put them up by 2 scores with only 3 minutes left. Texans head into the bye week losing to the Colts.

Titans - Coming off the bye week, the Texans are well rested for this very important division matchup on Monday night. The Titans want to get revenge on us from week 2, but the Texans have the best game in their franchise history on a Monday night when they need it most. The whole nation watches our offense absolutely tear away at the Titans D. The Texans pull of a huge win, leaving the record at 6 and 4.

Colts - Coming off of a huge division win, the Texans use the momentum to pound the Colts. The offense led by Slaton and Johnson keep putting up points, while the defense does what it has to do to keep the lead. Another division win for the Texans puts them at 7 and 4.

@ Jaguars - The Texans go to Jacksonville way over confident coming off of the two division wins in a row. They want to make it 3 in a row, but play very sloppy. The Jaguars once again beat us, and we lose tons of momentum that had been built up.

Seahawks - Back at Reliant, the Texans offense leads us through 3 quarters with a lead, only to play very bad in the 4th. Fortunately, the defense keeps us in the lead, and the offense ices the cake with a late score to put us up by 10. The overall record stands at 8 and 5, and the fans start to really get excited.

@ Rams - Playing one of the worst teams in the league, the Texans play down to their level, as they have a history of doing. Both sides of the ball are dumbfounded, but so are the Rams. The game gets very frustrating to watch until the final 2 minutes, when Schaub leads a game winning drive that ends with a touchdown pass to Kevin Walter putting us ahead 14-7. The Texans improve to 9 and 5.

@ Dolphins - The defense has no answer to the wildcat formation, and the Dolphins running game runs for over 250 yards. Meanwhile, the offense struggles to put points on the board. Late in the game, with the Dolphins winning by 17, the offense puts up two quick scores to go down by 3. Any hopes of a win are crushed when the onside kick fails with 1 minute left.
    Texans leave Miami at 9 and 6, and wait at Reliant for New England.

Patriots - Reliant stadium is the loudest it has ever been, and the Pats offense gets tons of false starts. Led by about 80,000 screaming fans, the Texans play outstanding for a home crowd that wants the playoffs. The most crucial game of the year heads into the final 5 minutes at a 28-28 tie. A win and we're in the playoffs, a lose and we wait till next season. New England takes a 31 to 28 lead with 3 minutes left, and Houston fans start to worry. Schaub shows no signs of pressure though, leading the team down to the 5 yard line of New England with 45 seconds left. The Pats hold us on the first two plays, leaving us with 3rd and goal from the five with 15 seconds left and no timeouts. Schaub then goes for the riskiest play of his life, on a QB draw up the middle. At the 2, he gets wrapped up by the defense, but a last effort and a stretch towards the end zone brings all the refs into the goal line to make a decision. Touchdown and we go to the playoffs, down at the 1 and we lose the game as time runs out. The officals give the signal for touchdown, and naturally the play gets reviewed only to have it confirmed. Texans are in the playoffs.

Those are my bold predictions for the rest of the season. They may seem unlikely, but I really think we can pull it off. If we do make the playoffs, it will be a significant milestone. Now, it's your turn to make the predictions. Go Texans! :D

2. Raven

Raven Member

I won't predict each game, but if the Texans lose next Sunday they'll officially be in free fall, with a lame duck coaching staff. It's tough to accept that the entire season is going to come down to game four, but how could they possibly dig themselves out of a one and three hole?

And can our next head coach please have ice water in his veins. I'm tired of these guys who don't have it in them to fire their assistant coaches, even when they're obviously part of the problem.

3. Rocketfanatic2

I agree. This game is going to be crucial in the team's future for this season. Hopefully, we can escape with a win and look onto next week.

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Raiders- Loss
    Cardinals-Loss
    Bengals-Win
    49ers-loss
    Bills-Win
    Colts-Loss
    Titans-Loss
    Colts-Loss
    Jags-Win
    Seahaws-Win
    Rams-Win
    Dolphins-Loss
    Patriots- Loss

6-10, everyone finally realizes that the foundation of this building is just not sound.

Kubiak must go. You have to decide if players like Mario, Robinson (if he resigns), Ryans (if he resigns) Okoye and Daniels (if he signs) are young enough to still build around (knowing you are a few years away) The Texans top tier talent, just is not comparable with most teams in the league. I love Andre Johnson, he is probably a top 5-10 player in the league, but after him and maybe Mario, its pretty weak.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

If we don't win 4 of the next 5, kiss the playoffs (or at least 10-6) goodbye. Not too worried about the Raiders and Bills, but Arizona/SF/Cincy are all games that could go either way. They are games that we have to win if we're going to be anything, though.

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Honestly, I hate to say it but 8-8 looks like a real possiblity AGAIN...if our D becomes avg then 9-7 is the best case scenrio.

7. van chief

van chief Member

You went through alot of hard work with those predictions. At the beginning of the season I will admit I had the texans going 7 and 9. But after these first three games I no longer think that is going to happen.

I went through your predictions and made changes as to how I see the outcome going for us this year.

I am a Texans fan, and would love to see it work out the way you have predicted but I am just too pessimistic/realistic.

thanks for the original post.

Raiders - The Texans defense still has problems with the running game, and Jamarcus Russell somehow manages to get the Raiders into the end zone multiple times. At the half the Raiders lead 14 to 3. In the second half the Texans offense begins to come alive, with Kevin Walter leading the way. Andre is contained for the most part by Asomugha, but still ends up with a decent day. The Texans score and begin building momentum which leads to a costly turnover and a loss. 21-13 Raiders win.

@ Cardinals - Kurt Warner picks the Texans secondary apart, while their running game is about average. The Texans finally have a great running game lead by Slaton who tops 100 yards, and finds the end zone once. Towards the end of the game it is still close but blown coverage’s by the Texans DB’s in the last ten minutes result in a final score of 31 – 21. The Cardinals pull out a victory.

@ Bengals - The Bengals who have already upset GB and Pittsburgh, come out playing strong. The Texans fight back with a great passing attack with TD receptions for Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter and Steve Slayton. The Texans defense is now ranked 31st in the league and are unable to shut down the Bengals in the 2nd half. But the offense keeps rolling and the Texans pick up another win to go to 2 and 4 on the year.

49ers - The Texans running game is successful, while the defense finally shows signs of begining to slow down the opponents running game. Schaub plays average, with Owen Daniels having a solid day. Frank Gore wakes up in the second half and the 49ers running game exploits the Texans. Houston gets another bad loss and leaves Reliant Stadium heading to Buffalo with a record of 2-5.

@ Bills - Trent Edwards has a bad first half, and the Bills find a way to turn over the ball multiple times. The Texans respond with field goals, and a TD. In the second half the game is close 21-24 Texans with the lead. The Texans running game begins to break open long runs, but fumble multiple times. The Bills remember they have Lynch and Jackson and begin to run over and around the Texans and the Bills win 28 - 24. As a footnote somehow TO goes without a reception and crys. Texans at 2-6 for the season.

@ Colts - The Texans start out solid in the 1st quarter, but the Colts defense starts to put a hurting on Schaub, and our whole game falls apart. The defense keeps trying and trying, only to watch their hopes of a win wash away with Manning throwing multiple TD’s to almost all of his receivers. Texans get destroyed, Manning throws for 5 TD, and the Texans lose 42 – 13. Texans are 2 -7 for the season.

Titans - Coming off the bye week, the Texans are well rested for this very important division match up on Monday night. The Titans want to get revenge on us from week 2, but the Texans have the best game in their franchise history on a Monday night when they need it most. The whole nation watches our offense absolutely tear away at the Titans D. The Texans pull of a huge win, leaving the record at 3 and 7.

Colts – Once again the Texans start out solid in the 1st quarter, but the Colts defense starts to put a hurting on Schaub, and our whole game falls apart. The defense keeps trying and trying, only to watch their hopes of a win wash away with Manning throwing multiple TD’s to almost all of his receivers. Texans get destroyed, Manning throws for 5 TD, and the Texans lose 42 – 13. Texans are 3-8 for the season.

@ Jaguars - The Texans go to Jacksonville after a horrible loss. They want to make up for it, but play very sloppy. MJD goes bananas the Jaguars beat us badly and we lose. We are now 3 and 9 for the season and fire the Defensive Coordinator.

Seahawks - Back at Reliant, the Texans offense leads us through 3 quarters with a lead, only to play very bad in the 4th. Fortunately, the defense keeps us in the lead, and the offense ices the cake with a late score to put us up by 10. The overall record stands at 4 and 9, and the fans have really had enough.

@ Rams - Playing one of the worst teams in the league, the Texans play down to their level, as they have a history of doing. Both sides of the ball are dumbfounded. The game gets very frustrating to watch. Somehow we win. Texans are 5 -9 for the season.

@ Dolphins - The defense has no answer to the wildcat formation, and the Dolphins running game runs for over 250 yards. Meanwhile, the offense struggles to put points on the board. Late in the game, with the Dolphins winning by 17, the offense puts up two quick scores to go down by 3. Any hopes of a win are crushed when the onside kick fails with 1 minute left. Texans leave Miami at 5 and 10, and wait at Reliant for New England.

Patriots - Reliant stadium is the loudest it has ever been, and the Pats offense gets tons of false starts. Led by about 80,000 screaming fans, the Texans play outstanding for a home crowd that wants the playoffs. The most crucial game of the year heads into the final 5 minutes at a 28-28 tie. A win and we're in the playoffs, a lose and we wait till next season. New England takes a 31 to 28 lead with 3 minutes left, and Houston fans start to worry. Schaub shows no signs of pressure though, leading the team down to the 5 yard line of New England with 45 seconds left. The Pats hold us on the first two plays, leaving us with 3rd and goal from the five with 15 seconds left and no timeouts. Schaub then goes for the riskiest play of his life, on a QB draw up the middle. At the 2, he gets wrapped up by the defense, but a last effort and a stretch towards the end zone brings all the refs into the goal line to make a decision. The officials give the signal for touchdown, and naturally the play gets reviewed only to have it overturned. Texans loose again.

Texans are 5 and 11 at the end of the season.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

only because I don't want to be a negative nancy... 8 wins.

Raiders, Bengals, Bills, Jags, Seahawks, Rams, Dolphins

it seems much harder than it before the season

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i would say disappointment, but i'm not expecting anything over 6 wins now.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

After being completely wrong the first 3 weeks....I'm not going to make any more predictions.

....just......Go Texans.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm 0-3 in my predictions for this season, so I'm not even going to try anymore.

12. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I only see us finishing 7-9 :(

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Raiders-W
    Cardinals-L
    Bengals-W
    49ers-W
    Bills-W
    Colts-L
    Titans-W
    Colts-L
    Jags-W
    Seahaws-W
    Rams-W
    Dolphins-L
    Patriots- L

9-7, with the 49ers game being the closest of the W's

14. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

It basically turns on this: When does the defense stop giving up 50+ yard TD runs or first downs on 3rd and 10+??

This team would have blown the titans out of the water if not for the freak long runs..... Might have had a decent shot against the Jets if not for all the third and forever screwups. And a combination of the two cost them the Jags game.

If they stop giving up the homerun and stop the opponent on 3rd downs they are supposed to(10+ yards) I see 12 wins. One has already been taken away with the Jets debacle. Almost lost another to the Titans. Would chalk one up to the Jags, but they won a game they werent supposed to IN Nashville. So its a wash.

15. Raven

Raven Member

When they get a new defensive coordinator.

16. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They will right the ship...

12-4

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

high water mark of 9 wins. which doesnt put us in the playoffs.
    HOWEVER..

I hope we are at 9 wins by week 17, and the New England Patriots also suck, and has 9 wins. Maybe we can get on NBC for the final game with the winner going to the playoffs.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

nbc doesn't air a game the final weekend for some reason.

19. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

didn't San Diego and Denver play last year on NBC week 17? I thought they didn't do monday night week 17.

20. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Titans at colts in 2007. Sunday night football.