1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AFL anyone?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Voice of Aus, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Just wondering if anyone else on ClutchFans follow the no.1 sport in my home country (Australia), and was just curious how many of you guys have heard of the sport or even follow it here. if any of you do please share which team you follow and where your from.

For those of you who havent had the pleasure to witness afl (called football in Australia) its basically has the same type of following as NFL in australia minus the competition from sports like nba, MLB and NHL..

Heres a quick vid put together for you guys to have an understanding for you guys on the highlights of the 2012 season.

I have never met an American who isnt amazed they are on how we dont have padding like nfl and have the skill of a combination that rivals almost any other sport in the world...

http://<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wl2uAJi6fLg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

as a side note, the most notable AFL player to make it in the NFl is Ben Graham

2. Voice of Aus

attempt 2 at the vid, if this doesnt work i give up and will just vent my anger on a Lin related thread

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/wl2uAJi6fLg?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/wl2uAJi6fLg?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

3. WestendMassive

Good call Voice. There are a few aussies on here so this would be a good place to talk about the season with the finals coming up shortly.

I live in Fremantle but I'm a Hawks fan. Hoping we can do one better this year but as last year proved, you can never be sure.

Geelong, Sydney and Fremantle are looking strong too, not to mention that dark horse Richmond. Going to be a sensational finals series.

Who is your team?

4. Voice of Aus

yeah i have realised the amount of Australians on CF's so i thought why not explore that..

lol im a saints man myself so i kinda hate hawks ATm after you just killed us on friday night.

im leaning towards Sydney back to back..

and on a side note i really want Hird to get suspended

5. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

Essendon supporter checking in..

I haven't been following the drug investigation closely
    I thought the AOD drug was not banned?
    And what's up with ASATA not releasing its findings?

Why do you feel Hird should be suspended (probably banned in reality)?

6. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

Born and bred around Fremantle so it was the obvious choice to support the club even through the very dark days. Ross Lyon is an absolute master and has changed the club quicker than anyone could have even imagined.

Going to be a great final series, the only 4 teams who can win it are the current top 4 and if results go the right way over the next 2 weeks Freo could finish 2nd and have 2 home finals leading into the GF. If they make it to that last Saturday in September I will be at the G.

7. Voice of Aus

Hahha I was right, he got a 1 year ban.. AND DESEVERED IT

As a saints fan, I have to hate the dockers because Ross Lyon fled like a little bîtch. But in saying that you have a top 3 midfield when healthy and your dp defence is amazing to watch..

Pav and sandilands well who knows what the hell they will bring in the finals, if they bring their all Australian form then maybe, but I guess for the dockers it will come down I only think dockers can win if they have a home final

8. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Interestingly when ESPN first started, they didn't have much in the way of live sports and they showed AFL matches.

I was a young teenager and barely understood the game, it seems like they showed Carlton more than other teams so I "rooted" for them.

9. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

I very, very casually follow the Cats. Met a bunch of Aussies from Geelong while I was in Germany back in the early '90's. Followed a lot more closely when you could catch games on whatever Velocity was called before.

10. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

The AFL release said that this is not a drug allegation but a ban based on having a risky supplements program and poor governance... What is that?? There is no charge there, certainly not for losing 2 first round picks and a 12 month suspension.

AFL was losing face after ASATA realised the AOD he was using was not banned until april this year. I really fail to see what Essendon did wrong. I'm mainly upset about losing 2 first round picks, Bomber Thompson is the proven better coach anyway (if he takes over)

11. Voice of Aus

He was Bascilly banned because he was aware of the supplements program and didnt put a stop to it.

Bomber Thompson has an IQ of 10 but its basically between
    -bomber
    - sheedy
    - Simon Goodwin

So between those u might have to go with bomber.

Anyways the finals are here, and all I wanna see is Richmond lose lol

12. dockerland

FREOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :eek::grin:

13. Voice of Aus

u realise your a cert for the grand final.

congrats on the club (and thats from a Saints man, F*** Lyon haha)

Port vs Pies tonight was a great match, Wingrard and Wines are gonna be top 15 players in the comp in a few years, their gonna be scary.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

They showed AFL as recently as the late 90s early 00s. I can remember watching it frequently.

15. Voice of Aus

thoughts on AFL?

do u enjoy it?

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I recall it being more exciting than Rugby or Soccer.

Very much.

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

I met a bunch of Aussies in Austin and they were watching this sport. I was so confused.

18. dockerland

Not counting my chickens before they hatch, I have supported the club for long enough now to not get ahead of myself. Mind you we have given ourselves every opportunity with that win.

(I have flexi flights booked for Melbourne in case we make it)

How composed was Wines kicking from 50. Brilliant to watch.

19. Voice of Aus

Have fun getting pumped by goals to hawks on the grand final game..

Hope u have a good flight back haha

20. dockerland

Hawks have to beat Geelong to even get to the Grand Final though....... I am hoping they beat the crap out of each other the week before.