1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AFC Championship Game

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Man, this AFC championship game actually makes me feel really good about the way this team ended the season. I thought going into the ge that the steelers had the best chance to beat the Patriots.

Lol and behold, the Texans played them way tougher than the Steelers.

If this team could just get a quarterback, we'd be going toe to toe with the Patriots. Think about that!!!!

Jimmy G, Romo and a rookie. Get something done. I don't care who it is or what it costs, this team is very close.

Rodman23 and Creepy Crawl like this.
  2. TheresTheDagger

My thoughts exactly.

3. conquistador#11

Good thing Pittsburgh has that elite qb! And if b.o.b wants to be hoodie so badly why not get us a white midget that teleports into open space! I want one of those!

#3 conquistador#11, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Texans were certainly more competitive than the Steelers, at least with us it was a 2nd half collapse against one of the best adjustment head coaches in history.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

I said after the Texans-Patriots game that I felt more encouraged than most. There were moments when i actually thought for a moment that the Texans could pull it off. They need to keep doing what they're doing; look for a QB but continue to build the rest of the team. Don't become the Colts

6. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

The Patriots sure do have a strangle hold on the AFC. However, like everyone said our window of opportunity is right now with this defense. The owner, GM, and head coach can't be that stupid or stubborn not to see it. There is no way can the team go in to next season with Brock and Savage again. If it's a trade or signing a free agent they still must draft a QB regardless I think, and I'm talking about in the first 3 rounds at least.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

All they need is a quarterback. Just that... no problem!

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think it is more appropriate to say they need an offense. Not just a QB. They need to fix the offense. I don't care if they hand it off to two RBs that run for 100 yards each or a QB that throws to two pro bowl tight ends or a QB that throws for 300 yards a game. Just fix the offense.

Creepy Crawl and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

They scored one more point than us haha. Although we should had more points with CJ and Fuller catching their TDs

10. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

It seems the Patriots only lose when they face a QB named Manning.

11. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Or Sanchez

12. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Yeah I forgot about Flacco too.

13. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Yeah, as great as the Patriots are, it's just the nature football to be so random that even they can be beaten if you catch them on the right day. We can do this. We have the defense.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What they're the best at is minimizing those days and when they do have them, they can still win.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Just confirmed that we wasted a great defense

16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

divisional round was SOOOOO much better football to watch. this past weekend was two unpredictable blowouts.

and this isn't just an "i hate the patriots" thing even though i do....but if sports is about entertainment and all that, my god, what a yawn to have them in the super bowl again. and the stat about brady/manning/roethlisberger being the only 3 QBs to represent the afc since 19dickety2 or whatever is just silly. go falcons lol...evil empire vs. flash in the pan. sigh.....super bore not super bowl.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This is great advice on how to watch the Texans

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

My major takeaway after watching that game yesterday is that the Texans actually played a ridiculously solid game against the Patriots. I dont think the final score in that game was indicative of how close the game really was...as Brock's 3 interceptions in the second half made it difficult to stay close. However, an average QB, along with getting Martin back at C and adding a RT...will go a very long way with this team. That defense of ours is elite. Im really hoping Watt can be healthy next season. I cant imagine what the trio of Merci, Clowney, and Watt can do to an offense. That's is an absolute nightmare to gameplan against. I dont want to get my hopes up too high, because Im not very confident in Watt's future, but this team is right there.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't care how they score either as long as they score a lot consistently.

But it should be noted that in the playoffs, and deeper in the playoffs, other good teams will take away things your good at. DeAngelo Williams was awful yesterday, and that's one of the best backs in the league. Of course, the Steelers threw a lot and were playing catchup, but Williams was nonetheless 14 carriers for 34 yards. 15 yards came on one play.

Point being, its pretty rare to win a Superbowl being only so dominant. Sure, we can look at last year's Broncos. Manning was horrible that game... so was their run game. Their defense was just so dominant (ours "could" be, but hard to count on), and the Panthers basically crapped the bed in the Superbowl. The prior game in the AFC championship, they beat the Pats with good defense AND a very solid Manning. Not a ton of yards, but no mistakes, a 90+ rating.

What am I saying? That we need a freaking QB. Unclear as to whether B'Ob offense needs a complete overhaul, or just a competent QB, to not even have an amazing year or games, but to be able to be consistently solid at a minimum. And then, MAYBE you have a chance depending on the year.

See my comment above. Obviously a healthy, back to form Watt on this defense, assuming health, is freaking amazing. But if your QB is throwing a bunch of picks, there's only so far that even an elite defense can take you.

I'd say don't get your hopes up to high until the team can find a QB at least on prime Matt Schaub level

#19 JayZ750, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017