1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[advice]should I go the playoffs?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The_Yoyo, Mar 31, 2009.

1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

figured it would be more appropriate in the Hangout.

so the playoffs will start in roughly 3 weeks and for the past two years I went to the first two games buying tickets really late and having to pay a little more for them. Last year I almost didnt go but my boss sold me one of his vouchers at the last minute which allowed me to go (otherwise the ticket prices were outrageous)

right now southwest has 99 dollar one way fares from Los Angeles to Hobby with a 2 week advance purchases. Assuming the Rockets have HCA that would most likely mean a game on saturday and monday (that was the pattern the last two years generally the less "media friendly" teams get saturday and monday) I would most likely get a ticket to come in as early as possible on Saturday and then just leave on Tuesday at a time that is convenient to my hosts.

Now the issue arise if the rockets do not get HCA then I cant get the tickets refunded and I would have to come out to Houston anyway...I do not know if these "wanna get away" tickets would allow me to change the dates for a small fee (most likely not I would believe). Also the follow week I have to be in Portland on business so I wouldnt be able to come out anway.

So before I go and drop the roughly 220 on the tickets do you think it would be worth the risk? If the Rockets do not have HCA I guess I would just go to whatever viewing parties that are around which would be fun to do of course to watch a game with a large gathering of Rockets fan but nothing compared to going to the game itself.

What do you all think? I would need to buy the airplane tickets by Friday to be able to take advantage of the Wanna get away deal.

2. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

But I would do it just because I'm confident they'll snag homecourt.

3. kona-

kona- Member

Whats your dates of travel?

4. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I enjoyed meeting you last year at the Playoffs.

There are no options - make the trip yo!

5. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

You should come. I'm fairly confident they'll get HC, but even if they don't, (like you said) I'm sure they'll have some pretty cool viewing parties.

6. The_Yoyo

i usually come in saturday morning

leave on tuesday

so the 18-21

7. kona-

kona- Member

IF your worried about not getting HCA then why not try someone like Frontier Airlines.

You would go,

LAX > DEN > IAH

If you bought the Classic fare, you get 2 bags, free DirecTV in flight. You get to pick your seats when you buy them. But main thing is IF we dont get HCA then for 50 dollars you can change your ticket.

Southwest doesnt charge this, but you have to pay fare difference. And trust me within 1 week or so of travel. Your looking at 400+ bucks on top of your 220.

But its up to you.

8. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

what about a game in Portland?

9. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Yo,

I think if you don't use the tickets at the time of travel, you will still have a credit w/ SWA to use it anytime within a year of the dates.

So I'm guessing you can use it later in the month if we don't get HCA. Not sure if you have to pay a difference in $.

10. playlife

playlife Member

Just wait for the WCF against the Lakers ;)

11. The_Yoyo

you're right!

Wanna Get Away

* Fares are nonrefundable but may be applied toward future travel on Southwest Airlines.
    * Should a passenger fail to apply the nonrefundable ticket toward the purchase of future travel within the eligibility period, the entire amount of the fare, which includes without limitation, all fees, taxes, and charges, will be forfeited.
    * Standby travel is permitted but requires that the Customer pay the difference between the original fare and the "Anytime" fare.

that may work out then I just wonder what additional costs I would have to pay.

across: Well that depends on if we play the Blazers in the first round which is a possibility of course but you never know a few games left a lot against playoff foes which can totally change our seeding from 2 all the way to 8th even.

12. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

there is no change fee with SWA, you would only have to pay the increase in fare.

13. The_Yoyo

flying to houston and watching a game would be 1/2 the price of going to a WCF game here in LA

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

At least we've upgraded your hotel room significantly since last time you were here.

:cool:

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

what, did you knock out the back wall of the closet?
    :p

16. The_Yoyo

barring any reason why i can take the days off on the 20 or 21 i should be in houston then that weekend.

i'll give you or the 1560 b**** a call to work out the logistics moes after i get my ticket and travel times.

the biggest relief for me is the ability to get credit towards another flight in case the rockets do not play that weekend...thats a big deal for me i dont want to just through the money away or go on a weekend when the rockets arent playing in houston.

17. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

i know we dont know each other
    but if you dont come
    i will point and laugh at you

18. XBLRocketman111

XBLRocketman111 Contributing Member

Can you fly military standby for free?

;)

19. kona-

kona- Member

You will have to pay fare difference. Could be nothing, could be 500 dollars. depends when and where your going. I work for the airlines.

20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Dang, what airline do you work for? :confused: :eek: