1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Advice / Recommendation] Mountain Bike

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by davidio840, Sep 6, 2015.

1. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

So my wife and I are wanting to get into trail riding in and around the Houston area. However, we don't know a damn thing about mountain bikes or bikes in general. I have looked online and talked to a few friends and they have mentioned Haro, Diamondback, Trek, among others, as a few brands that are decent. I am not looking to spend a lot of money since this is really just a beginner thing for both of us.. but I don't want to buy a bike that falls apart a few months later either. Any help or reviews/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Craigslist is your friend. There are tons of people who buy bikes that never ride them. You can easily get a model that is a couple of years old for half the price of a new one. Before buying one, visit a good bike shop and figure out what size you rid.

1 person likes this.
  3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Trail riding like memorial park, very rooted, very hilly trails or like flat smooth easy pace "trails"?

4. davidio840

Thanks rockbox.

Bandwagoner, yes like memorial park type trails but also on pavement around the neighborhood, etc. I guess the first thing I need to do is get sized for one. I didn't know you had to do that lol.

5. Amir's Johnson

Terry Hershey is the perfect biking trail.

6. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Amir's Johnson?

Was Eddie's Johnson taken?

7. Bandwagoner

I meant trails like this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNw4KV4IbXc

or like this
    [​IMG]

the difference being significant in the suspension and the fact I would highly suggest a 29er for heavily rooted hilly trails. For flat occasional bump trails you can get almost any brand hybrid, upright bike and have a great time.

8. davidio840

Yes Bandwagoner that's exactly what I'm talking about. That trail looks awesome. My friend was saying terry hershey is good as well as jack brooks. What's a good bike for those trails that don't cost a grand or more.

#8 davidio840, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Just bought a specialized mountain bike at the flea market for $40

10. Bandwagoner

Jack brooks is great. Don't lock yourself into a single brand. Get the best 29er with the best suspension you can afford used.

11. davidio840

Much appreciated. So is a 29er better than a 27.5? Do the wheel sizes make that much of a difference?

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

29.5 roll over bumps better. If you are riding on the street most of the time, it doesn't matter and 27 inch bikes will be less expensive.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

I personally have one of these... good for biking to work.

[​IMG]

14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

If you want something new with the most bang for your buck and willing to do just some easy minor assembly, try googling bikesdirect.

15. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

price range is more important than brand. there are hundreds of brands that make **** walmart bikes to pro race bikes. comfort is next most important.

sounds like you want a hybrid bike.

and dont listen to the whole 29er spiel about being "better".

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

BUMP

I just bought a bike from bikesdirect.

I haven't ridden since I was riding BMX bikes about fifteen years ago.

When I bought, I thought I was buying a 27.5er. That was yesterday. Turns out, I bought a 26er.

The bike has great components for a beginner bike. It's the Motobecane Fantom HT Comp. My question is, me being fairly new, I won't really notice the difference between this and a 27.5er (or even a 29er) given that I'm new, and the forks have some decent travel to them, will I?

Did I make a mistake? As in, should I cancel and buy a 29er with lesser components, as a friend of mine is suggesting?

Here's the link:
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_comp_xi.htm

I want to ride some rooty, woodsy trails. I'm also planning on riding to work daily, which is about 3 miles total. I'll also probably ride a paved path with my wife, at least weekly, that is 13 miles.

17. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

26 incher is a classic size but a more modern is the 27.5 but I ride a 29er myself.

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Can anyone tell me here if it would make sense if I got a 1/4" to 1/2" cut off (metal pole part) on the bottom of the seat, so it would sit a little lower? I have had a trek mountain bike for a few years and it sits just barely too high for me.

19. Exiled

Exiled Member

a guy on this forum made a cross-country trip on a bike,you should look for his advice

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

If you are not certain you will stick with it, look at buying a used bike. But even then, definitely go to a few good bike shops to see if they know of any used bikes to purchase (via owners upgrading to a better bike). Always good to support local businesses and bikes require maintenance and upgrades. Plus learning about local riding places and organized (and unorganized) rides.

Bike fit is most important. Need proper standover to protect family jewels plus the correct reach to maximize comfort and performance. A good bike shop will help make sure you get the right bike fit.

Places to ride... Terry Hersey Park ("the Ant Hills"), Memorial Park and Cypresswood. I used to live near a nice singletrack in The Woodlands off Flintridge. But if you get serious, worth the drive to Bluff Creek Ranch near Warda where there is really nice singletrack and a place to ride fast.

http://www.bcrwarda.com/