1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Advice Needed: TV/Cable/DVR

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr Boo, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

Hey everyone...I need some advice and help. I'm currently live in San Diego, and I've got Time Warner Digital Cable for my bigscreen LCD in the living room. Here's the situation broken down:

Have:
    - 42" HD LCD - Living Room running Digital Cable
    - 26" HD LCD - Bedroom running Standard Def Cable

Want:
    - the ability to record programming (ie TiVo, DVR, or whatevers)
    - to have high def for both HD LCDs
    - NBA LP

Options:
    - go with Direct TV and rent a DVR
    - go with Dish Network and rent a DVR
    - get another digital box from Time Warner & purchase TiVo/DVR

I have no real experience with Direct TV or Dish Network and TiVo/DVR stuff (is TiVo = DVR?). Sorry to bug, but what should I do? Do any of y'all have any brand recommendations? Thanks in advance!

#1 Mr Boo, Oct 11, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
  2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

DVR is the best thing since sliced bread. I try to never watch anything on real time if I can help it. FF'ing through all the inane commercials is awesome.

I'd love to watch my football games in under an hour but it's almost impossible not to know the outcome beforehand and that sort of spoils that.

I will say I think DVR's degrade your High Def picture quality because every signal goes on then off the disc (so you can rewind and slo-mo). I know it's digital but it seems a little snowy through the DVR.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

You will have to shell out HD receiver money for both receivers regardless of what service you go with.

I don't know if you can record HD games to a PC or not... maybe you need a tuner card for that?

Additional questions: Are you looking to saving the games for posterity later, or just record to view them if you miss them live (about 1-2 days later)?

Once you have NBA LP from DirecTV or DISH, you will be able to see it on either standard receivers or HD receivers on both TVs. I say only get ONE DVR. Why have 2?

4. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

I'm just looking to record and view them in the near future (1-2 days later). Having it be able to save for posterity would be nice though. Anyways, sorry if it was confusing, but I wasn't looking to get 2 DVRs, just one really. I meant that if I stick with Time Warner Cable, I think I would need to purchase TiVo or get a DVR through them, and get another separate digital cable box for the bedroom HD LCD.

#4 Mr Boo, Oct 11, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
  5. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

With DirecTV you buy a receiver that has the DVR functionality built into it, so it's not something extra that you have to rent. I don't have HD so I can't comment on the quality or price of it though. But I've been very happy with their service, much better than cable in my opinion.