1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Advice needed - should I get a web host or host myself?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by T-2, Apr 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

I'm getting pretty comfortable programming with WebSphere at work, and I think I'd like to try my hand at making a website myself for my hobby, one that would require SQL and other nontrivial things. I can make the J2EE .ear file that would work if it could be deployed somewhere.

It's for my hobby initially, though one day it could turn a very small profit. So the traffic is bound to be non-existent at first, but might get hundreds of users eventually.

What appservers (besides WebSphere) could run my WebSphere-created .ear file? I would guess they should all work?

If other appservers could run the .ear file, is it out of the question to just dedicate a machine at home to run something like Apache? If so, at the moment, I have RoadRunner residential service, not sure if I could keep using that...

Or should I just get a web hosting service? (Took a look but it seems I would have to learn a whole new set of development tools, plus it's extra $$).

Maybe others here are doing similar things that can share their experiences. Thanks!!

2. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

The biggest issue with hosting your site from the house is DNS entries. With Roadrunner, you have a dynamic IP address (meaning it changes every so often) and the more inbound traffic you get, the more often your IP changes. You can get static IPs from T/W, but that may add as much expense as some of the cheaper hosting services.

One other issue is that of availability. RR is less reliable than a hosting service that is connected via redundant T1 (or larger) lines. Remember that if your cable modem goes out, you will not be providing the site to your users (a BIG issue if they are paying) until it comes back up.

Call T/W and ask them how much they charge for static IPs, then compare that with the cost of using a hosting provider. If the cost difference is negligible and the reliability isn't a huge factor, I would host at home since you have more control.

3. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Perhaps JBoss might work with .EAR files.

JBoss AS

JBoss

I think it would be possible to host yourself in a low traffic situation:
    DSL Web Server

Not sure of your TOS/TOU in your T/W contract.....so something to investigate.

Web hosting companies that provide support for Java tend to charge a slightly higher price, so try to minimize costs in the beginning and selfhost if possible. In regards to learning something beyond WebSphere....variety is the spice of life.

4. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

Hey, thanks to both of you. I googled myself silly trying to find the right way to ask for this information. There were not many jsp hosting solutions I found where you could at least have jsp's invoke Java code to do the work. That's a red flag to me that maybe I'm approaching this the wrong way.

Time Warner only offers static IP's with their business class, which is over double the price of their residential service.

Thanks for the do-it-yourself link, Mango - looks a bit daunting. I think I'll try looking into alternative technologies for serving up dynamic content, rather than J2EE. Something that will be a commonplace feature in most web hosts and most lend itself to a cheap web hosting solution. I am introducing myself to PHP at the moment, maybe that will be powerful enough. I'm good to go I think.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Don't worry about static ip addresses. The ip address only changes once a year if that from TW. Also you can use dyndns.org to update the dns with one of their hostnames for free or pay to get your own dns name. I've used that solution for about 3 years.

6. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

T-2

Could you give us a general idea of what you are trying to do in regards to your web site?

Perhaps somebody will be able to give your project a boost if you give us a bit more info.