1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Advice: Anyone Been to North Korea?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by sw847, Aug 17, 2012.

1. sw847

sw847 Member

I am planning a trip to North Korea in the coming month, both as a holiday and for business.

For those of you who travel a lot, I was wondering anybody been to the country who can offer some advices?

I heard that tourists can get arrested if you wonder off with out your 'guide'? Is that true? I heard that movement outside of assigned areas are strictly prohibited.

Any other activities or actions which are forbidden and could get me into trouble?

How much money should I prepare for 2 people for maybe around 2 weeks for stay in North Korea?

Thanks in Advance

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

What kind of business are you in that requires you to take a trip to N.Korea?

3. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I hear it's a great place to lose weight.

5. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

I have good news, you can unpack the Digiorno...

[​IMG]

6. geekSnake

geekSnake Member

You are not seriously going, are you : \
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxLBywKrTf4 It's a about a Nat Geo reporter travelling to N.Korea with a team of doctors, may pick up a thing or two in there.

7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Vice (VBS.tv) did a segment on traveling to NK a while back. Three part video series.

<script src="http://player.ooyala.com/player.js?video_pcode=JqcWY6ikg5nwtXilzVurvI-vU6Ik&height=360&embedCode=FtZjZyMjqOntywjQPKZBGeLNHAssBC9P&deepLinkEmbedCode=FtZjZyMjqOntywjQPKZBGeLNHAssBC9P&width=640"></script>

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Lawl your dead mayne.

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Does this sound like a holiday/vacation spot to you?

About a day or two. You will either be on TV, on a plane back, or dead by then.

10. VBG

VBG Member

I've lived in South Korea. Went to the DMZ between the two countries. Never actually went to North Korea.

Apparently, you do get tailed and there are only designated areas you can go to. You aren't allowed to leave your guide at any times. All foreigners are put in the same location so you can't really mingle with the local population.

11. VanityHalfBlack

Did you mean South Korea bro???

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Wolverines!

13. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I have been to North Korea. I visited the "special tourist zone" in the Kumgang-San Mountains. The hiking there was absolutely incredible -- very beautiful. Aside from hiking, visitors were limited to the compound grounds, so individual guides were not needed, but you were not allowed to walk over the painted lines indicating restricted areas. Actually, I'm not sure, but I think the Kumgang tourist zone might be closed now ever since a South Korean woman got shot for passing into a restricted zone.

Being bussed across the North Korean countryside was very surreal. Barren, rolling grass hills as far as the eye can see, with lone soldiers spaced out intermittently into the distance. Going through North Korean "customs" -- basically an outdoor tent with a security scanning checkpoint (like at an airport) was a pretty tense experience. My girlfriend and I were the only non-Koreans in the group.

Overall, it was one of the standout experiences of my life, and I would not change it for anything.

14. Prince

Prince Member

and only olympic gold medalist can have refrigerators at home.

15. GangnamStyle

GangnamStyle Member

May God have mercy on you. Try the Gangnam Style dance while you're there.

16. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

I think the only thing you'll have to worry about is not getting your
    cover blown.

17. liljojo

liljojo Member

Try smuggling a weapon in. That would make for a great story.

18. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Try proclaiming "AMURCA NUMBER ONE" and asking the soldiers around you why `they dont embrace democracy` and explain why they should.

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You should check out vacationing in Somalia.

20. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

While you're there tell them that Kim Jon Il is an arsehole and urinate on his monument