1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Adult ADHD [Advice?]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by moonsh0t, Nov 8, 2010.

1. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I've thought I've had ADHD 'symptoms' for a while so today I took a self diagnosis test and it confirmed my suspicions.

I was raised in a household that didn't really believe in new designer drugs. My parents have told me that one of my elementary school teachers suggested I get treatment for ADHD, but they believe in getting through things the old fashioned way.

I got through school without really trying. I didn't do great, but managed to be a B+ student. My freshman year of college I attempted to self medicate and it worked wonders. My first semester I pulled a 3.7 GPA, but I was cautious to look too far into that as I felt I had used PED's (LOL, pardon the sports lingo) rather than the medication had treated some type of disorder. So after that semester I stopped the self medication and over the rest of college saw my GPA drop to about a 2.9. I honestly can say, that excluding that first semester I actively studied less than 10 hours all through college. I would have every intention to, but once I had the book open I just could not get focused. I'd be staring at the page but day dreaming about what I would do if I were the Astros' GM.

I'm working now and feel that ADHD could be affecting my productivity and work ethic. I don't want to be a chronic underachiever because I was nervous about seeking treatment. At the same time though, because of how I was raised, I have a hard time not seeing this as a weak excuse to be lazy.

I know there are a lot of opinions about the validity of ADD, and I understand why. What do you guys think? Have any of you had similar experiences?

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I've always had serious issues focusing on stuff I would consider boring- homework, dreary repetitive desk work, etc. Recently I found a really good solution: Earplugs.

[​IMG]

It might seem silly, but with almost all sound blocked out, I can really focus on the task at hand. You can buy a dozen at walmart for a few bucks. They're reusable until you feel like they're too gross, and I even accidentally left them in a pants pocket one day and they got washed- good as new.

(by the way, when you insert them properly, they don't stick out like they do in the picture. My wife can't even tell I have them in unless she looks at the side of my head)

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I didn't discover I had ADD until after college. I thought it was only those kids that rode the short bus that had it. I was pretty disruptive in grade school and got kicked out of class numerous times. Looking back, the only thing that kept from riding the short bus, was the fact I scored 99 percentile on every standardized test I ever took.

The ADD drugs are ok but eventually you get used to them and they don't work nearly as well anymore. As I have gotten older, I have learned how to deal with it. There are are still things I can't do like pay attention to an 2 hour lecture or presentation. And I still zone out during conference calls that I'm not actively participating in. I take drugs when I know I have to need to focus and get something done, but its sometimes years between doses.

4. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I would try earplugs but I get a lot of phone calls and have a decent amount of social interaction at my job.

Rockbox, it sounds like your experience is pretty similar to mine. What steps did you take to first get on medication? Did your doctor recommend you a psychologist?

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

if those ear plugs came with blinders and the ability to focus on one task at a time then they would be perfect! ;)

6. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I totally know how you feel. I'm trying very hard right now to teach myself self discipline so I don't need to resort to medication. It's tough cause I work primarily from home.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

how did you self medicate? i am completely ADD, but i have never taken drugs for it and i have always struggled at getting **** done.

8. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Illegally. A friend didn't take her medication and wanted spending money.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I tend to focus a lot better when I do things right away in the morning. You're fresh, your mind hasn't had time to really wake up and start bugging you yet.

Best time to study or get some work done.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

11. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

ADD is legit. Go talk to your doc. Tell him your experience and what you've tried re: medication, self-diagnosis, etc.

You've got to confront your hang-up about mental health issues before you're likely to get anywhere, though.

12. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Theres a couple things you can do that don't involve medication. Exercise is probably the best(boost same hormones as medication), but can be hard to implement so you can get its effects at work. Changing your diet could help also, eating more protein(especially in the morning), avoiding simple carbohydrates and sugar and consuming omega 3's helps some people. Research has shown that meditation could help a lot, but I never have the patience to do it for the required amount of time to get any real benefit. I've read of people self medicating with nicotine and caffeine, but I doubt you want to go down that road.

It really depends on how bad your adhd is, if it significantly impacts your work then I would just go ahead and see a doctor about getting officially diagnosed so you can get those meds. I'd be careful about telling your doctor about your experiences with medication until you get a handle on him, you might get off on the wrong foot and he might think you're some kind of drug seeker.