1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adjusting Our offense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HP3, Jun 24, 2018.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

Let's say we resign our guys and we run it back for next season with the same roster. In the WCF we saw that while our defense was amazing I think our offense could have been better.

Not a criticism for Dantoni as our offense worked on everyone else. I just think we need better ways to score on a switch defense with no gaping holes for an ISO. And to beat the Warriors(and prolly the Celtics) we almost certainly need that.

So thoughts? Objections just wanna see what you guys think.

#1 HP3, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Uh, 3 for 27 might have changed our O...

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

ISO is the solution too switching. Switching cuts down motion offenses.

Bottom line is you have to hit shots.

No changes necessary in style.

clutchdabear, YOLO, Cash Cam and 3 others like this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean I think it's unfair to judge off of one game no? There's more to it than just lol 3-27.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

You need to take everything that happened vs GSW with a grain of salt it was James Harden by himself vs Kevin Durant, Steph Curry and Draymond Green its a miracle we only lost by 9 pts.

Everybody in the league says Brad Stevens has the best system ever and they got beaten by Lebron James and a lotto team at the end of the day there is no system that can make up for a gulf in talent.

Rather than blaming the system (which seemed to work fine when we have 2 all stars playing) we need to upgrade the talent instead which admittedly is pretty hard to do.

Richie_Rich and hakeem94 like this.
  6. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean we have the two best ISO players in the league by far statistically. And I feel Ike a lot of the games were defensive battles. I have no advanced numbers and haven't adjusted for pace so feel free to let me know otherwise.

7. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean I'm not really just talking about that game 7. Even when we had Paul it seemed hard for us to score.

But we have the talent? Stevens was missing both his all stars?

Paul and Harden has shown to be enough, I'm just saying maybe finding easier ways for us to score overall will give us a bigger margin for error.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

We don't have the talent who would win 2 allstars or 4.5 allstars? And lots of people even view Durant and Steph as the consensus No 2 and No 3 in the league si they have both quality and quantity.

It's a mirage if you have the Rox and GSW play 100 7 game series GSW will come out on top majority of the time. It's like in the Rox vs Jazz matchup something always happened and that's because Jazz had 3 all stars to Rox's 1 ( Yao always injured).

Yeah Stevens was missing his all stars and thats why Boston lost. Its not the style that failed us, its the talent. If we had Draymond Green and Klay Thompson shooting the 3s at game 7 instead of Ryan Anderson and Green you think they'd go 0-20?

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

It’s the second toughest assignment in the NBA

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Not much to comaplain about tbh, other than slight more midrange shots when paint is clogged and the rox can’t hit their 3s

11. HP3

HP3 Member

Bro what are you talking about we almost won. If Luc and Cp hadn't got hurt we win in 6. Our two best players are comparable to their two. Not to mention our role players are better, they may have more talent but this year but we can compete with them. To say they were flat out better is untrue. Honestly that's why I made this thread, cause if we can score more consistently on them we are better.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Almost is not enough. Ok our two best players are comparable to their 2, what about the other 2.5 stars are they chopped liver or what? Who cares about the role players, they got Klay Thompson and Iggy and Draymond Green as their role players wtf and its looking more like Dwight is also gonna join them as their role player center.

What do you mean to say GSW is flat out better is untrue, they won the 7 game series they are flat out better otherwise they would have lost. Luc and Cp3 were hurt but maybe you forgot but Steph Curry was also hurt and Iggy didn't even play the entire series so if you are gonna give the "if healthy" caveat then that applies to GSW too. Maybe you mean if the Rox were 100% healthy and Curry was banged up and Iggy didn't even play then maybe the Rox were better.

13. Sanity2disChaos

Talent >System

smoothie likes this.
  14. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Point of clarification: in the stat book it says 0 - 27
    Reality: we hit 3's and cheating refs waived them off (at least one springs to mind - Harden on what should have been a 4 point play)

bulkatron and don grahamleone like this.
  15. HP3

HP3 Member

No, they are more talented I didnt say they weren't. And no role players are important. We never would have made it as far as we did without Tucker, and Ariza. We also have Eric Gordon whos is our reigning sixth man. Dont act like we have trash out there compared to them, its not true. LOL yea Dwight is sooo scary, plz.

THEY WON CAUSE WE GOT INJURED, HORRIBLE REFS AND HORRIBLE SHOOTING. What......are you serious, Curry is fine, Curry was not injured, go look at his stats the previous series, look at what he did in the finals, get the **** outta here, dont ever make that excuse. Luc was so important to us this season, he was like third in net rating or something, everyone knew how important he was to us, just as important as Iggy. Like I said if were fully healthy we WIN IN 6.

Plowman likes this.
  16. rockets13champs

I don’t think we’ll land Lebron or George. But we’ll get a lot more super role players.

17. Sanity2disChaos

Care to name a few super role players??

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

1. Faster pace like Morey said we should
    2. More layers like D'Antoni said we should have

Other than that, nothing to change

19. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I think its not terrible. I think more off the ball PnR would be nice. Have offense moving even if its not in the play. I think if we are up by 15 we should start to drive more. Shooting 3's when you are up that big is more of a risk. Our defense was some of the best in the league in the GSW series, I think it majorly impacted their legs for shooting.

Red.Glare likes this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Role players are important but they have stars as the role players, you get it fam? Luc, Tucker and Ariza are good but compared to Klay Thompson, Draymond and Iggy they suck ass. Thompson, Draymond and Iggy never missed 20 3 pt shots in a row.

Denying the reality of Curry doesn't make it so he was injured and missed several games wtf even if they played him doesn't mean he was 100%. Saying look at what he did in the finals doesn't mean anything Lebron played with a broken hand and still put MVP stats these are HOF players they still play great with injuries.

Like I said if the Rox were fully healthy and GSW was still injured then maybe they win. But if both teams were fully healthy then GSW will win. Who is the better player, Iggy or Luc? Curry or Cp3? Its really that simple.

2 vs 4.5. Explain to me how it is logical for 2 stars to beat 4.5 stars consistently no amount of role players can make up for 2.5 star difference. The only way to do is add Lebron then maybe we have a chance 3 vs 4.5 then it isn't so lopsided anymore.