1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adelman, Lowry on starting point guard position

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 13, 2010.

1. rju1986

rju1986 Member

Forget about K.Lowry starting. Instead, we should have Yao coming off the bench with the second wave, until he regains his full strength. Have Brad Miller start. I also know Jordan Hill plays well with Brad- but I believe you win some moreover than you lose some with that case.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

that picture of Brooks and Lowry is sweet!

Do you have a higher res version for a desktop background?

3. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

I know it's a little off-topic, but I strongly agree with this idea. If Yao is limited in the minutes he can play and his presence in the starting rotation is affecting team chemistry (which it was while he was here), then bring him off the bench and use him either situationally or in a set rotation, but OFF THE BENCH.

This would give the guy a chance to play regular minutes and make our bench super strong until he's finally at 100% health (if that ever happens) and NOT harm a growing team chemistry.

The biggest problem would be deciding which center to start, Brad Miller or Chuck Hayes. Chuck is an anchor defensively, but Brad makes our offense roll, especially with Hill. But he also plays very well with Kevin Martin.

About the guard situation, you go with the rotation that works best. Last year we learned that a backcourt of Brooks and Lowry with the second unit worked very well in some situations. Would it still work this year? Who knows? We really haven't had a chance to find out.

We really do have a lot of options at the guard and wing positions (though I still wish we had one more true SF option).

But I do agree with the coach here. How can his player playing well be a problem for him? :)

4. Drawkwa22

Drawkwa22 Member

I used to think AB is the starter since he has the bigger upside, but KL fits so much better with Martin and the rest of the starters relative to facilitating the offense and playing defense. AB should just come off the bench and be a spark ala Ginobili. There is no disgrace in coming off the bench - drop the egos and do what is best for the team. They can both play 30-35 mins w/ AB playing 2 guard at times.. so why care who "starts"?

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Note: When people asked this "tough question" previously, you screamed and yelled and whined and threw a tantrum about your precious beloved future alpha dog MIP and how anybody who asked it was just big ol' mean jealous dumb hater who should shut up and doesn't know anything about basketball and how it wasn't fair to compare them, since Brooks played on the Rockets wheras Kyle played on the Rockets.

That said . . . who cares who starts? As long as Lowry gets minutes he can stay wherever. I like the idea of Brooks as "plan B" coming off the bench though on offense....a smaller vinnie johnson is about right there.

6. dial1revenge

dial1revenge Member

I wouldn't mind seeing Brooks off the bench for his first few games back. If we continue to win, keep it like that. If Aaron shows some life, though, then I do think he'll be moved back to starting position.

For off-topic topic, I 100% agree that Yao should be coming off the bench. If he's only playing 24 minutes and not playing in back to backs, him starting is just going to mess up the chemistry for the others who start when he can't play, especially since we play an entirely different type of basketball with him on the court.

7. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Man, way to take a firm stand on a controversial issue.

;)

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Whoever starts is more heavily based on the circumstances once the players return.

Neither player has the edge in capturing the starting spot, since Brooks could easily retake his starting spot due to simple player loyalty whiles Lowry could always steal it with his impressive play as of late.

9. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

I was just giving you a hard time, man.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Sounded to me like Lowry pitched a fit in private and got put in his place and now delivers the company line while harboring ill feelings.

Also what the hell was hanging from Lowry's locker? It looks like a mug shot of all the refs.

11. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

I agree with your last part about not caring who starts...but the fact of the matter is that the players do care. I honestly don't know that it makes that much difference who starts, but how you control the player rotations does.

So if your AB, how pissed are you going to be that in your contract year in which you were denied and extension, you got demoted to the bench after your injury. You gave it up for the team and this is how you're rewarded.

If your KL, yes you played great and showed that you can start in the NBA. The problem is that the guy ahead of you doesn't suck, and you have to respect that.

Consider the following two scenarios..say that KL starts when AB gets back...but it doesn't work very well. You've just messed even further with chemistry and kept your team off track for longer. You're going to have to ask the players to move back...again. Second scenario...we end up trading KL, AB moves back to starting. That's not good for the ego....to get the job by default thinking they really liked the other guy better.

If you keep AB starting and things don't work well, you can always make the switch later. Players can except it better because they can see it's the best decision, as oppossed to the coach just not having faith in you. As well, you can trade either player and have the other one start...knowing that the team has confidence in you.

In my opinion...you don't mess with the starting lineup unless you're absolute sure it's going to make a significant change, or what you've got now clearly isn't working. There isn't enough to make that change right now.

12. Shanghai Shake

Kyle Lowry has given the starting point guard fits on his last two teams: Memphis and now Houston. Mike Conley benefitted from Kyle's determination and so will Aaron. Its nothing wrong with wanting to start, but if your starter is legit and your a legit back-up sharing minutes, then whats the big deal about? Plus, Rick likes to play them together anyway, so I don't see the controversy.

1 person likes this.
  13. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Welcome to coming around.

IMO, This team will reach more of it's potential with Brooks coming off the bench and given the green light to shoot. Lowery defense and hard nose attitude will be better off paying next to Martin.

But Rick doesn't believe in a starter losing his spot due to injuries, so Brooks will get his job back for now. But who closes games? and who gets the minutes?

14. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Brooks should come back as starter... It's only fair, BUT...

I don't like the fact that It seems like when a starter is struggling, they're not taken out immediately. When a player (starter) isn't having a good game, their leash should be just as short as the bench player...my opinion.

15. co-nan

co-nan Member

I really like both guys. Each has his own advantage and can make up to the other's disadvantage.
    I do not think it really matters who starts. I think they'll have a fair time on court. it will most determined by the opponents that who is on court.

I just found though Martin is good at C&S in offense, but he is not good at guarding those guys C&S. I think Brooks plays good defense against these type of guys, like rudy fernandez.

16. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

I also picked up on this, Lowry is a petulant little child (well not little, he's actually pretty chubby).