1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

According to sabermetrics James Harden was tied for 2nd as the most valuable player in the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenTime, Jul 28, 2016.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I love Klay's game, but I think he's getting massively overrated. I'm hoping he leaves Golden State somehow, someday so we can see what he's like as a #1 option. To me he is the pinnacle of the JJ Reddick mold of player.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That just tells you using one number to rank players is wrongheaded.

People use this kind of thing are usually trying to prove something on their agendas.

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

1994-1995 Regular Season

Hakeem 27.8 / 10.8 / 3.5 / 1.8 / 3.4
    Robinson 27.6 / 10.8 / 2.9 / 1.7 / 3.2

Uh, that's not how the decision was made.

This was:

Rockets 47-35 (Dream played 72 games)
    Spurs 62-20 (Drob (pronounced drob not D-Rob) played 81)

David Robinson deserves that MVP, he was the best center in the league that year. I will repeat this again and again over and over for the rest of my life because it adds to the legend of what Hakeem really was: The best playoff basketball player to ever live.

Hakeem was not the best regular season basketball player to ever live because he didn't live to play regular season basketball. Playoffs, baby!!! He was the best when it mattered the most!

4. don grahamleone

Good god man, he's talking about the year before. Harden played good defense that year and we made 2nd in the conference. The players thought he was the best amongst all other peers.

I like how there was this article on how Houston is trying to maintain that it takes care of it's players, but the old timer fans on here just want to **** all over him. He'll bounce back on defense and I'm sure he'll climb out of the pile some of the old timers and tnt crew have laid on him. Sometimes I think the only thing the three of you guys do is watch ESPN and get grumpier.

#44 don grahamleone, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  5. ln3012

ln3012 Member

lock down defender?

he's a good defender, but if you get some time re-watch the 2015 and 2016 playoffs and let me know who he "locked down"... he often gets torched. Iggy is more of a lock down defender

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yep. similarly LeBron did that this year. Curry was better regular season but LeBron was a better playoff performer.

Robinson declined in the playoffs, Hakeem got better.

It was pretty crazy how much better Hakeem got against elite competition. You're supposed to be a little worse in tbe playoffs because you're not feasting on weak opponents

1 person likes this.
  7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

If it wasn't for Hakeem there would be no Clutch City or ClutchFans for that matter.

Of course Mario had something to do with it as well, but not as much as the Dream.

1 person likes this.
  8. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

I looked up Dmo's CARMELO page... his category was "scrub"

lmao

9. Mr. Clutch

True that!

10. Mr. Clutch

CARMELO doesnt include box-out stats.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Quite literally the opposite of James Harden.

12. tksense

tksense Member

I wouldn't say Lebron is a "better playoffs performer" as far as the last two seasons. Curry wasn't that amazing, just good, in '15. Curry was on track and prepared to be amazing in '16 until (multiple) injuries happened.

We all said the only way dubs lose the champ will be if curry is injured. And that's what we got. Playing injured or coming back too soon hurts the team sometimes.

Lebron did try way harder, with an impressive will and effort. But did he perform well? Imo not all that good. Low FG%, mortal possessions /turnovers. LBJ was really saved by festus ezeli! Everyone was exhausted in the finals series, and Curry even said he'd be happy as long as the FMVP is one of his teammate.

We didn't get to see anywhere near the peak performance from both finals teams. Obviously, the multiple Curry air balls is not the Curry you've come to expect before the knee and elbow incidents. Those joints do matter. I think curry ended up overly forcing things because of the bad joints, he's not mature enough at this stage to adjust to what he can't do and still keep his MVP level effectiveness.

LBJ won this title unexpectedly because the dubs was limping through the end. And to me the FMVP performance is below par and underwhelming as compared to the normal performance level U can expect from either LBJ himself or Curry. But no one was fresh at that point, then LBJ's stamina and effort won him the ultimate result, that's very commendable.

13. Mr. Clutch

I'm not sure it was just because Curry was injured. Curry's stats were worse last year in the playoffs too. Not that they were bad, just worse relative to his crazy regular seasons.

I'm not sure what you mean on LeBron's FMVP performance being underwhelming. He shot .494 from the field and .371 from 3 on 29.7 ppg while throwing in 11.3 rebounds, 8.9 assists, 2.6 steals, and 2.3 blocks per game. His defense was fantastic.

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

If Lebron isn't number one than your formula is trash and the rest of the list is irrelevant.

15. Mr. Clutch

He was #1 in real plus minus

16. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

i agree, but i dont think the list counts the playoffs. LeBron routinely misses regular season games due for extra rest to gear up for the playoffs these days, so that might affect his numbers

17. don grahamleone

Haha, next we're going to hear that Dwayne Wade's 2006 finals performance was average and Dirk's 2011 finals performance was a fluke.