1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

According to Fox Sports.....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nuggets4, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

I apologize if this is posted already and I missed it, but last night I was watching Fox Sports and their crawl said that the Texans are going to pick Tony Boselli with the first pick of the expansion draft.

If it's true, GREAT pick-up for you guys in my opinion. What do you guys think?

2. haven

haven Member

I agree, great pick. Of course, I've also heard that the Texans want Jermaine Lewis instead of Jamie Sharper.

What the )@#(*$& are they thinking?

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Can they get both? Maybe Baltimore exposed both for a reason? I would like both.

Also, it's no big deal if they take Sharper or Boselli ,first, right? They can have both if they want.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Great pick in Boselli. But, like haven said, why are they so high on Jermaine Lewis? He's a great KR, but an average WR...there is no need to take a KR over a solid LB like Sharper.

Also, with the pick of Boselli, I think it takes Willie Roaf out of picture, unless they plan on trading him. Roaf and Boselli both play LT, and I don't think high-profile guys like those want to move to the other side of the line. Could this mean that Jeff Blake will become the Texans starting QB?

5. cometsluv4play

maybe the Lewis selection is a defensive move in that Sharper's contract is so big and the Ravens won't pull him back after the Lewis selection.

the Ravens get to protect players after the first selection, if they take the cheaper player ....maybe the more expensive one will still be there for the second selection as opposes to picking Sharper first and the Ravens protecting Lewis before the the second selection is made.

6. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Posted on ESPN.

One player in whom Houston is very interested, ESPN.com has learned, is Jaguars defensive tackle Gary Walker. Although he has a high salary cap number for next season ($5.25 million), Walker is a player Capers likes from his stint as Jacksonville defensive coordinator.

7. junglerules

junglerules Member

I actually want both sharper and Jermaine lewis. I think, as an expansion team, you're gonna have to hope for a big play on defense or special teams to keep you in games because you're talent won't be on par with your opponent. I think jermaine lewis will give us a big play option on special teams.

Yeah, i agree that he isn't all that as a wide receiver. But, he might be better than some of our other options, and i really like him returning kicks and punts. Think of is returning success in the regular season and playoffs the last couple of years.

Also, as much as i'd love to see az hakim in a texans uniform, the dude just does NOT have the ability to hold on the ball consistently...fun to watch, though....

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

seems if the texans take jermaine lewis, the ravens would pull jamie sharper back. i'd rather have sharper, without a doubt!

jeff blake the starting QB?? anyone want to bet David Carr will be the starting QB?? they're going to have a better OL than they thought they would...they have zero expectations of winning, which means relatively little pressure on Carr...my guess is that Carr will be the starter.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

draft order is irrelevant, but there is some historical prestige in being the first pick so i'm sure the texans will want a quality person to hold the honor, and boselli would certainly fit the bill.

lewis actually makes more money than sharper; at least he does in 2002. for a player of sharper's skill, he's actually a bargain at less than $4M a season, and he's signed for the next 3 or 4 years.

i'm not sure where people are reading/hearing the texans are interested in lewis; i know they brought him in for a physical, but they'll bring a lot of players in for physicals. lewis is a great return man, but an average WR at best. he was, what? the fourth option on a team with quadry ismail and travis taylor starting? no one's ever confused ismail and taylor with rice and taylor.

10. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Adam Schefter of the Denver Post (very reliable reporter) mentioned that the Texans are going to have more talent than the Bengals next year, saying:

"The Houston Texans are going to start their team with a mighty fine foundation. Offensive tackle Tony Boselli will be their first pick, and not far behind will be Ravens linebacker Jamie Sharper, Jets cornerback Aaron Glenn, Jets right tackle Ryan Young and Ravens returner-receiver Jermaine Lewis."

<a href="http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1002,6429%257E372617,00.html">Story</a> (Scroll to bottom)

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

see..this kind of stuff excites me!!!

ok..they're not a super bowl contender...but this team is way ahead of where people were expecting them to be...and it's even more fun to think about if you remember that no one gave houston a snowball's chance in hell to even get this franchise!!! i can't wait!!!

GO TEXANS!!!!