1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Accommodation in New York

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by anchel, Nov 24, 2012.

Tags:
  1. anchel

anchel Member

Hello. I'm spaniard and I'm going to work in New York for 8 months as internship. I'm finishing my studies and recently got a grant to work there.

To the point. My budget for living there is about 1900$/month.

I'll work in New Rochelle. The company has recomended me to live in Manhattan and to get a train to go to work. My question is if I will have enough money for living in Manhattan, and with that budget, at what amount should be my limit for hosting...

I lived in Riga last year and stayed at a student residence for 9 months. I've been looking for student residences in New York and I've found EHS, but the website doesn't speak about prices.

I would like the idea of a residence because I would meet other american young people and also I avoid the risk of hiring the wrong apartment. (A 'risk' considering not having the chance of watching personally the place nor knowing my flatmates).

Frankly, I was more than fine living last year in a student residence, I met a lot of people and spent all year in a very good atmosphere. I thought it would be a good idea to know better the city and the New yorker society. Other option is to live with other spaniards in a flat, but I want to avoid that.

I don't know if here there are people who has lived in New York and could tell me about prices. It would be much chepar to live in New Rochelle? I've heard that, but after searching a little bit I doubt about it. ¿?

Could I survive in New York spending more than 1000$ in accomodation?

Also would appreciate links with other forums / websites with more specific info. Thanks.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What do you mean $1000 in accomodation? Rent?

3. anchel

anchel Member

Yep (including utilities).

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

No way. Joe's Apartment style maybe.

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Why don't you live in New Rochelle since you will work there. It is still quite a commute via MTA train from Manhattan. New Rochelle or close by like Mt Vernon is much more affordable than Manhattan. Or you can try Bronx.

6. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Not in Manhattan or brooklyn unless you sublet a room with stinky, wannabe hipsters who talk for a living. I suggest getting an apartment in a soulful area like Harlem where there's a lot of brotherly love. Sometimes people just start singing and snapping their fingers on the train. It is in the North part of Manhattan. If you are willing to pay $1900 for rent and are a real basketball fan, I can set you up with a room at one of my girlfriends apartments in the meatpacking district of Chelsea. You can go south and hang out with other students at Greenwich in your free time cuz everyone in chelsea is really really hot and in.

You'll have to stay 3 month min and send pics before we make a deal.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

My sister lives near 54th and 10th and pays $900 a month

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Pics?