1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[abc13]Rockets legends to hold youth hoops clinic in League City

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Aug 8, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=sports&id=5544869
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    (8/06/07 - KTRK/HOUSTON) - The Houston chapter of the National Basketball Retired Players Association (NBRPA), also known as the Legends of Baskeball, will host a Youth Basketball Clinic on Aug. 6-7 in League City.
    The clinic, designed for boys and girls from ages 6 to 16 will be held at Victory Lakes Intermediate School from 9am to 3pm both days. NBA Hall of Fames Moses Malone and Elvin Hayes, as well as Rockets legend Robert Reid, are expected to attend.

The two-day clinic will include individual and group instruction on basic basketball skills and teamwork, as well as breakout sessions where instructors will counsel students on important lessons such as staying in school, living healthy and becoming solid citizens.

"Being a good basketball player is one thing, but being a contributing member of society is entirely more important. The Legends try to use our influence and experience to work closely with parents and teachers to help point young people in the right direction," said Johnny Egan, the president of the Houston NBRPA, who played 12 years in the NBA and coached the Rockets from 1973-76.

The clinic fee is $150 per participant and slots will be filled on a first come, first serve basis. Group discounts will also be provided for local organizations that plan on bringing an entire basketball teams to the clinic.
    (Copyright © 2007, KTRK-TV)

2. tinman

Supporting Member

Youngsters learn from NBA legends
    http://news.galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=8b40c59ba4043654
    By Joey Richards
    The Daily News

Published August 8, 2007
    LEAGUE CITY — Most of the youngsters at the NBA Legends, Houston Chapter, basketball camp Tuesday weren’t even born when Robert Reid played his last of 13 seasons in the NBA in 1991. But a few have seen him play on ESPN Classic, back when the Houston Rockets played the Boston Celtics in the NBA Finals in 1981. That’s enough to impress the youngsters.

“I’ve been wanting to meet some NBA players, have them teach me some one-on-one,” said Vincent Moya, a 16-year-old Dickinson resident who’s seen Reid on ESPN Classic. “It’s good to be here.”

Reid, director of the first-year camp at Victory Lakes Intermediate School, felt the same way. He hopes the camp is the start of something big in Galveston County.

“The camp is tremendous,” he said. “We don’t have the big numbers, but keep in mind school is getting ready to start. A lot of kids are in football. These are pretty much die-hard basketball children. But it’s something our chapter has made a commitment to. We want to be part of the community and help young children.”

Reid, who spent 10 years with the Rockets (1977-82), wasn’t the only recognizable name at the camp. Many of the youngsters had heard of “Sweet” Lou Dunbar, who played 24 years with the Harlem Globetrotters. Dunbar, Reid and a handful of former NBA players passed on their knowledge during the two-day camp that began Monday.

“The thing that excites me about the camp is like when I was substitute teaching, and you see that light bulb go up on that child’s head,” Reid said.

“It’s like, ‘Wait a minute. This is simple. I know this math problem. I know this answer.’

“When you see the young camper make his first jump shot or get that crossover for a layup and he’s jumping up and down, you see the enthusiasm that basketball is all about.”

The camp made an impression on Caroline Spagnola, a 13-year-old Galveston resident.

“I really like it because you get to practice with the basketball legends and you get to learn how to post better and defend,” she said.

“It’s a good opportunity and I’m thinking of finding me an AAU team.”

Corey Laday, 14, who’ll be a freshman at Dickinson High School, agreed.

“It’s a lot of fun,” he said. “They teach us about our fundamentals and how to control the ball.”

Moya, 16, who’ll be a junior at Dickinson High School, has been on the Gator varsity since his freshman year.

“It’s a lot of fun,” he said about the camp. “You learn a lot of fundamentals. I learned more defense and more passing and just teamwork.”

However, Reid said the camp wasn’t all about fundamentals — at least not on the basketball court. He said mental preparation is important, too — both in the classroom and on the court.

“One thing we’re stressing with these young adults and young children is the importance of education,” he said.

“Education is the one thing that’s going to take you to the next level, no matter where it is.

“We’re also teaching the importance of competing with each other and also being ready for the challenge of what’s around the corner. You don’t know who’s going to come around that corner.

“Right now, a lot of these children are saying, ‘I can’t wait for school to start. I’m going to be the best.’

“Wait a minute — you don’t know who’s going to transfer here from New Orleans next week. You don’t know who’s coming here because his dad just got stationed at Ellington Field. You don’t know who just transferred from L.A.

“The one thing we’re instilling in these young adults is what our challenges were. You had to come with it each year. It wasn’t guaranteed.”

Only older, die-hard Rockets fans remember how Reid used to bring it. He was a part of some great Rockets teams that reached the Eastern Conference finals in 1977, the Eastern Conference semifinals in 1980 and the franchise’s first NBA Finals appearance in 1981.

The latter two seasons, it was Larry Bird and the Celtics who stole the Rockets thunder. They still do when it comes to Reid’s legacy in the NBA.

“My daughter called me before I came up (to the All-Star Game in Las Vegas) and she said, ‘Daddy, they keep showing you on TV,’” Reid said.

“I said, ‘No baby, they’re showing Larry. I just happened to be in the way.’”

3. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

I can't recall Reid, I'm a younger, live-weak rocket fan :(

4. Precision340

Precision340 Member

Cool article. I grew up watching Rober Reid when I was very very little. I remember the way he shot the ball... you couldn't tell if he was right or left-handed the way the ball came out of his hands. It was like the grandma shot but overhand style. Nice to hear he's doing well and contributing to the community.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

i'm glad these kids are watching espn classic.
    those parents = good parents.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I saw robert reid at the international festival this past spring, I yelled out "BOBBY JOE"

he's pretty cool, was wearing a rockets' practice jersey, looked like he can still play

7. tinman

Supporting Member

u see all the cool ex/old rockets recently. I get Walt Williams :rolleyes:

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Wizard!!!!!

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

hey man he originated the 3 pt sign before bobby s did on the rockets

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Robert Reid = Point Foward

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Wow, $150 bones. :eek:

I guess that's the price to see Bobby Joe, The Great Moses, and The Big E.