1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ABC] Foley Resigns Over Sexually Explicit Messages to Minors

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by No Worries, Sep 29, 2006.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Foley Resigns Over Sexually Explicit Messages to Minors
    September 29, 2006 3:02 PM

Brian Ross and Maddy Sauer Report:

Saying he was "deeply sorry," Congressman Mark Foley (R-FL) resigned from Congress today, hours after ABC News questioned him about sexually explicit internet messages with current and former congressional pages under the age of 18.

A spokesman for Foley, the chairman of the House Caucus on Missing and Exploited Children, said the congressman submitted his resignation in a letter late this afternoon to Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert.

Hours earlier, ABC News had read excerpts of instant messages provided by former male pages who said the congressman, under the AOL Instant Messenger screen name Maf54, made repeated references to sexual organs and acts.

In a statement, Foley said, "I am deeply sorry and I apologize for letting down my family and the people of Florida I have had the privilege to represent."

The full details will be included in a report tonight on ABC World News with Charles Gibson.

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Boy, that was quick! :eek:

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Jon Stewert interviewing James McGreevey about his book surmized from it that being an 'in-the -closet' gay is a very similar to being a politician because every thing you do is directed at the public perception of you.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the dems are gonna kick ass midterm time. mostly because those who have been lulled in by conservatives aren't gonna show up.

i'll be voting like a commie liberal. i seriously can't wait. not as much as i can't wait to wear a 2006 Astros NL Cental Champs shirt in DisneyWorld in a few weeks....but close.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry to get off topic, but are you really going to Disney World again soon?

That is awesome. My wife and I are huge fans of Disney World. The whole experience, way they create an atmosphere etc. is really top notch. And I know from reading this board how much you like it.

It will be a year or two before we get back to Orlando for another trip there, so post at least a little about your trip, so that I vacation vicariously, please.

6. MadMax

absolutely, i will! or send you an email!

i'm leaving oct. 21 and gone through oct. 27th. we're going to the halloween party for the first time ever. both my boys (6 and almost 2) will be dressed as pirates :) looking forward to it! :) can't wait to get away.

hoping i'll be watching the 'stros in the world series from orlando! :)

7. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Just think, anything you do - every email you send out there, every instant message, text message, VM, letter, fax, anything that is recorded - is permanently recorded and subject to bite you in the a$$ later in life.

The digital age means that making mistakes in your communications have far more consequences then ever before.

This is why nothing beats face-to-face interactions....just think, if you make a joke how great communism is, it can be used to prevent you from getting a job! And that's perfectly legal! And it's happened before.

So to all you's out there....be careful!

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Anybody in business who isn't careful about what they say in emails is stupid and lazy. Elected officials should be even more thoughtful. This is the world we live in.

That's why I enjoy sales so much. Face to face interaction is key, even though email is also a big component.

9. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Business, politics, academia, entertainment - anything where your rep means anything. Just think, anything personal you write or put out there...blogs, boards, emails, anything can and will be used against you in the public and private world.

It's the world we live in now.

And it's not just people IN business or politics...but anyone who ASPIRES to be in business or politics.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Yes, it's to the point that I will coach my son on this as he grows up. Because of emails and IM, we put more in writing now than ever before. Good writing skills are essential to be successful in life. Along with that, I will teach him the common sense to realize anything he writes can be used against him sometime in the future.

For me, the Microsoft trial several years ago was the light bulb. Watching Bill Gates implode and get reduced to being a liar on the stand was all I needed. He was destroyed. The general public has forgotten it, but this was one of those "teachable moments" that left a permanent impression on me, even as an adult.

Here's another one: Clarence Thomas vs. Anita Hill. Since then, I can count on one hand the number of times I've commented on the appearance of any woman besides my wife or sister. Just my own personal extremism.

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Took the kids to Disneyland this Summer... just a 6 hour drive. But... I'll never do it again. Just absolutely packed... so much it was scary. We'll spring for the tickets and fly to FL next time. (If I can convince Mrs. rimrocker that it's OK to give money to Disney after that horrible 9-11 movie.)

12. rimrocker

This guy was perv. He didn't make a mistake... it was repeated and it was intentional. And thank goodness it was reduced to email and he didn't have a face-to-face interaction (at least it hasn't come out yet that I know of...).

13. MadMax

Judging from these articles....these were kids he knew. Congressional pages. Kids he actually interacted with in real life. Wow...creepy.

14. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Another example of a deviant Republican.

It's either:
    Sexual misconduct with a minor
    or
    High stakes corruption
    or
    Complete social or racial innappropriateness

It's like a broken record. Repubs are dropping off at an alarming rate these days.

To be fair, the Dems problems:
    Sexual misconduct with a consenting adult
    or
    petty corruption issues
    or
    public intoxication

15. rimrocker

In all fairness, our guy in NO had bricks of bills in his freezer and something is definitely amiss in NJ with Menendez. These are hardly petty. Still, the difference is that these are are not systematic... not part of the Dem mindset. As an example, say what you want about Dems, but nobody can reasonably argue that the Katrina rebuilding would have been handled the way it has been under Dems... no-bids to big national contractors who just happen to be big-time GOP supporters while screwing the small businessman out of the opportunities. Similarly, while no Dem would have been stupid enough to to Iraq, if they had we would not have seen the massive and pervasive corruption for which that organization is now so infamous.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Being gay pedo is now an "emotional difficulty."

Props to Foley for playing the "I must have been drunk when I did that, so I will now hide behind Betty Ford's skirt" card (aka the Mel Gibson card).

Ex-Rep. Foley Checks Into Alcohol Rehab
    Oct 2, 10:14 AM (ET)
    By LARA JAKES JORDAN

WASHINGTON (AP) - Former Rep. Mark Foley, under FBI investigation for e-mail exchanges with teenage congressional pages, has checked himself into rehabilitation facility for alcoholism treatment and accepts responsibility for his actions, his attorney acknowledged Monday.

The attorney, David Roth, would not identify the facility, but told the Associated Press in West Palm Beach, Fla., that Foley had checked in over the weekend.

"I strongly believe that I am an alcoholic and have accepted the need for immediate treatment for alcoholism and other behavioral problems," Foley said in a statement, Roth told the AP.

Foley, a Republican, abruptly quit Congress on Friday after reports surfaced that he'd sent sexually charged electronic messages to boys working as pages. In the statement, Foley said the "events that led to my resignation have crystalized recognition of my long-standing and significant alcoholism and emotional difficulties."

"I deeply regret and accept full responsibility for the harm I have caused," Foley said. He also expressed "gratitude for the prayers and words of encouragement that have been conveyed to me."

The FBI, meanwhile, "is conducting an assessment to see if there's been a violation of federal law," according to FBI spokesman Richard Kolko.

The developments sent House Republicans into damage control mode amid charges by Democrats that some House leaders may have known for months about Foley's inappropriate overtures toward the young pages.

Democrats have questioned whether the GOP leadership, including House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., tried to protect a House seat in an election year at the expense of the well-being of teenage pages.

Hastert issued his strongest statement yet on Monday, saying he was "outraged and disgusted with Congressman Mark Foley's actions."

The speaker was in Washington meeting with his staff, the House clerk and Rep. John Shimkus, R-Ill., the congressman who oversees the page program, to review the procedures on protecting the teenage pages while they are working at the Capitol and after they finish their assignments, said Ron Bonjean, Hastert's spokesman.

White House press secretary Tony Snow, asked about that Monday on ABC's "Good Morning America," urged greater efforts to "figure out what happened here." He called it "a terrible story" and said he considered it unfortunate that "people are thinking, 'OK, can I get political advantage out of this'."

Hastert in a letter sent Sunday to Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, asked the Justice Department to "conduct an investigation of Mr. Foley's conduct with current and former House pages."

Democrats demanded that investigators determine whether Republican leaders tried to cover up Foley's actions for political reasons.

"The attorney general should open a full-scale investigation immediately," Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid of Nevada said in a statement, including whether GOP leaders "knew there was a problem and ignored it to preserve a congressional seat this election year."

Foley's West Palm Beach district is largely Republican, but now may be won by a Democrat. Republicans are struggling to maintain their House majority in the upcoming election. Florida Republican leaders were meeting Monday to try to choose a candidate to replace Foley in the November election.

FBI cyber sleuths are looking into the text of some of the Foley messages, checking to see how many e-mails and instant electronic messages were sent and how many computers were used, according to a law enforcement official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation.

The FBI also was trying to determine if any of the teenagers who received messages are willing to cooperate with the investigation, the official said.

Ironically, Foley, who is 52 and single, could be found to have violated a law that he helped to write as co-chairman of the Congressional Missing and Exploited Children's Caucus.

Rep. Thomas Reynolds of New York, head of the House Republican election effort, said he told Hastert months ago about the allegations involving a 16-year-old boy from Louisiana.

Hastert acknowledged that his staff had been made aware of concerns about what they termed "over-friendly" e-mails Foley had sent to the teenager - including one requesting his picture - in the fall of 2005, and that they referred the matter to the House clerk.

But Hastert said those e-mails were not viewed as "sexual in nature" and that he was not aware of "a different set of communications which were sexually explicit ... which Mr. Foley reportedly sent another former page or pages."

Hastert asked the Justice Department to investigate "anyone who had specific knowledge of the content of any sexually explicit communications between Mr. Foley and any former or current House pages and what actions such individuals took, if any, to provide them to law enforcement."

Congressional pages, a staple of Washington politics since the 1820s, are high school students who serve as gofers in the House and Senate.

---

AP reporter Brian Skoloff contributed to this story from West Palm Beach, Fla.; AP reporter John Heilprin contributed from Washington