1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Simple Analysis of the Rockets Roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jtr, Mar 26, 2012.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

PG – no matter if Dragic resigns with us or not we are pretty much set. Need to draft or sign a backup if Dragic leaves. DWill would be an upgrade though. Llull coming over after next season is a luxury.

SG – Resigning Lee has to be a top priority. Martin will be trade bait at the trade deadline next season. Need to draft his replacement if possible.

SF – Parsons can probably improve his shooting in the off season, in which case he will become a very dangerous player. Either Bud or Morris is expendable.

PF – Scola’s contract makes him untradable. Moteijunas has the potential to become a top flight PF in this league. Only next season will tell. PPat is probably expendable.

C – Dally/Camby allows us to draft a player to develop. All in all it might be Moteijunas’ position in a few years. You never know.

Draft needs – Center and SG to develop, and a back up point guard. Best case scenario is getting Lamb, Leonard and Wroten or the likes.

Trade chips – PPat, Morris/Bud and Martin

I think Martin would bring back value in a trade, but only after the shoulder problems are completely resolved. I believe there is the chance Moteijunas could weigh in at over 250 pounds next season. He managed to go from 220 at the draft combine to 238 at the start of the Euro Leagues.

Draft assets 1, 2 or 3 first round picks ranging from 12 – 22.

We can clear up enough cap space to sign 1 max player – ~$16 million. Morey will have to decide how he is going to use this money.

All in all I don’t feel that we have a pressing need to revamp the roster. If we maintain spending cap flexibility there may be assets out there that are getting dumped due to the new luxury tax. It would be a shame if we did not.

2. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Scola's contract is very reasonable for his production. If he had a dominate center to play with, he would be coveted. He would be the perfect fit alongside Dwight...( or Yao )

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Scola is not untradable...

4. houstunnin

houstunnin Member

i dont like scola he' can score but we need someone more young and atheletic for example...josh smith....and is consistent scola D's sucks run the court like hes racing. Lol

5. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

If management decides to go with Dragic as the starter long-term over Lowry and signs him back, Lowry also becomes a major trade chip. Teams would certainly want his production at his contract.

Lee should be resigned unless someone overpays for him (doubt it though).

What I'd love to be able to do is trade Martin (exp. contract), Scola, Bud (exp. contract) + Dallas pick for Brand and Nocioni (expirings) + Turner. This works especially if Lee gets a deal he can't refuse from another team. Draft a SG (Rivers/Lamb/Beal) depending on where that NY pick falls. Go after andre miller as a backup if Dragic or Lowry get moved.

6. houstunnin

houstunnin Member

meh....hope we can get smith or Iggy/brand..but brand is gettin old.

7. Prince

Prince Member

we have a good team but our problem is the fraking refs.. :)

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I think we already have our Iggy. And he is on a rookie 2nd round pick's pay scale.

9. Mariachi ROCKET

TRADE KLOW7, KEEP GORAN, TRADE K-MART, KEEP CLEE, BRING IN D-MO!

10. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

Sorry...but this just bothers me. This mistake is done all of the time...

resign - voluntarily leave a job or position
    re-sign - commit to another contract

11. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

His contract is expiring and with nocioni's it would be about 24ish mil worth of expiring contracts for free agency. With Bynum and Howard both being unrestricted FAs, we better be ready. LA can't afford Bynum with Kobe and Pau both on the roster and Dwight could still bolt when he gets the chance. Harden and Ibaka also become RFAs.

12. rockets06

rockets06 Member

PG- I think Dragic will get a big offer and we should sign a backup for the season with like you said the luxury of Llull coming over after next season.

SG- Lee should certainly be resigned and Morey should keep Martin's contract and let it expire but bring him off the bench in a sixth man type roll.

SF-Parsons to me is by far our best SF and Morey to look to move Morris or Budinger

PF- I believe Scola can be moved to a contending team and Patterson could be moved in deals as well and with Motiejunas coming over must make playing time for him at the PF position.

C- They should hold onto Dalembert since he's already on a bargain contract.

-Definitely agree with drafting M. Leonard for future C an should be top priority come draft day and T. Ross to sure up SG positon.

Use Morris/Budinger to move up for Leonard
    Use Scola/Patterson to move up for Ross

Lowry, backup PG
    Lee, Martin, Ross
    Parsons, Budinger/Morris
    Motiejunas, Pattesron/Scola
    Dalembert, Leonard

13. monster

monster Member

Scola isn't going to bring too much in return, but I think he could be a great addition for a team who is on the verge, but needs a little bit of help at PF, assuming they have a big who can protect the paint and help out if scola gets beat off the dribble. LAL would be a great fit for Luis and LaL, if they were to lose Pau.