1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A seemingly smart GM is the key for all the chaos

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Munir Ming, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Munir Ming

Munir Ming Member

Ok, ok, I know most of you guys think Darly Morey is a smart Wall Street guy. I used to think so too. He pulled off a number of seemingly really good moves. At the time the moves were announced, most fans seemed excited and happy.

Let's look back what really happened. Do you remeber Mike James, SF3, Bobby Jackson, and now Ron Ron. With the moves came with great excitement and expectation. But where are those guys now? you know better than me. Most of them were ditched and Ron Ron was killing the chemistry and offence.

These were just seemingly good moves on paper and not that good at all on court. Some of you also blame RA, but who brought him here?

But Evil No. 1 has to be this: Morey didn't take that offer from Detroit for McGrady. That really hurts!

Though I give him credit for bringing some underdogs to the organization, like Carl Landry, AB, and now Von Wafer. These less hyped moves are actually much more effective. But you can't build a real contender with these less hyped minor picks and trades.

Morey is known for his Wall Street smartness, but guess what? The Wall Street is in BIG trouble now.

2. kevtse

kevtse Member

I gave a 1 star to this thread.

3. ILoveTheRockets

Ban this American hating poster. Ban him with all your mighty power

4. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

are we sure morey didnt want the detroit trade? it couldve been that he wanted it and les didnt approve.

the ron artest trade was a good trade. you gave up bobby jackson and donte greene for artest. that was a steal. too bad it hasnt worked out so far.

so far, i liked how he got scola, AB (too bad he's in a shooting slump) and inviting von wafer. although von wafer was i think an adelman decision. landry too. but i would trade him if i get a > 6-10" PF or a good PG.

so far the things i hated about DM, was the jvg situation, letting stevie go for nothing in return and we lose a pick as well, novak for a conditional pick (id trade head for a conditional pick rather than novak), bringing deke so late into the season, and having too much faith in rafer alston.

5. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

No one is safe from blame after a loss. Not even Morey!

6. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Don't forget the worst one of them all...one of the worse in Rockets' history...Rudy Gay for Shane Battier. :(

7. worzel gummidge

1)We don't know what the offer was if there was one.

2)We don't know if McGrady would have passed the physical.

8. Dei

Dei Member

sagebomb

9. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

its T-Mac's fault

10. kevtse

kevtse Member

Don't forget.....Rudy Gay wouldn't have much playing time under JVG, and wouldn't become today's Rudy Gay.

11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

With every loss we have had a major spillage of stupid around here.

12. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

Amen brother

13. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

i don't why some of you are so enamored with rudy gay. oj mayo is outshining him in memphis this season.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

So now you're blaming Morey? Give me a break! It's not his fault stupid coach won't use the players he got properly. Its obvious to anyone but the coach that our bench (mostly constructed by Morey btw) is outplaying our starters right now. Yet the starters always end up closing the game for the lose! And wtf was that last play?

15. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

And likely he wouldn't be Rudy Gay but Thabo Sefolosha who would Rockets rather draft if they didn't have the deal already for Battier.

And yes, you're wrong, totally wrong.

This team is great, it just needs some playing time and it will come together.

I remember back in 2007 we used to know that we're going to lose to stronger teams, at least I did.

All the moves Daryl Morey did were great and you're just blind to recognize them but time will tell, believe me.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Morey has upgraded the talent but failed to get pieces that fit....and adress areas of need, especially PG, and an athletic PF that can shoot the 3ball.

DD

17. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

You try to do it. He's made nothing but calculated, well-reasoned, and good bet moves. You can't do better than that. Name one, just one GM, that could have done a better job than Morey has. Pritchard? HAHAHA.

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Don't forget, Morey inherited Yao Ming, T-Mac, Rafer Alston, Juwan Howard's contract and absolutely no cap flexibility whatsoever from the CD years.

He has parlayed three seasons of mostly low draft picks and not-even-MLE level salaries into Shane Battier, Luis Scola, Carl Landry, Ron Artest, Aaron Brooks, and Von Wafer. Our once weakness (PF) is now our second-best position behind C.

I ask you, WHAT MORE can we reasonably expect out of our GM??? It's not his fault that Yao Ming is untouchable and Tracy McGrady untradeable. The players he HAS acquired have demonstrated an intestinal fortitude not heretofore seen from our two centerpieces--we're like an M&M now, hard on the outside and soft and mentally frail on the inside. I have no doubt that when it's time for Morey to select a new core to this team, that core will be comprised of players equally strong in will, drive to win, and ability to stay on the f--ing court. We would be bottomfeeders at this point without Morey keeping this boat afloat.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I agree, I just think that a good GM recognizes when it is time to move pieces that don't fit for pieces that DO fit.

I think Morey is an excellent GM, he will right the ship......he is not stupid, he can see what is going on out there.

I expect a trade soon.

DD

20. Convictedstupid

I thought the detroit-houston trade was just a rumor...?