1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Revisit on the PPat trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketrock, May 31, 2013.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

2. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

3 more years of TRob on rookie scale vs last year of PPat, who has better trade value?

Flynn and Thabeet trades were mainly to get us additional picks

Only TWill is a bad move

Get your facts right ...

3. supa

supa Contributing Member

4. monster

monster Member

Some people are too high on PPat. Decent and improving young player, but he wouldn't have made a difference in our playoff efforts. He would have been out rebounded on both ends, and maybe makes a few extra shots w/in 15ft. Morley makes mistakes like anyone else, but we were/are logjammed at the 4 anyway.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't really care. If we had Patterson we'd be dumping him for cap space just the same as we're doing with T-Rob.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Did you watch the playoffs? We had zero Playoff Power Forwards. It is our weakest position.

7. heypartner

Correct...but we would have been a 6th seed in the playoffs without the trade.

8. heypartner

We would have been a 6th seed playing an injured Denver instead of OKC.

You apparently don't care if we win...but I care to be 6th seed vs 8th.

fools. Obviously, you don't go to the games.

9. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I dont think you remember how poorly we did against the nuggets during the regular season (patterson was a big part of that). Gallo was a negative for them in 3 of those games.

The warriors have bigs with size that can rebound and their strongest position is the pg spot. The nuggets are also strongest on defense at the two with iggy manning the position. Faried would have dominated patterson just like he did in the regular seoson.

#49 BEAT LA, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  10. heypartner

Nothing that you says matters.

We would have been a 6th seed, and I live in Boulder. I would have been able to go to EVERY game (as opposed to just 3) and would have been able to get cfnet seats for all travelers to come to Pepsi Center to watch.

You don't have any idea what I had planned for cfnet if we drew Denver...where I live.

Just sit down

11. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

But you do? Based on what? Here are the facts:

Final game of the season the lakers beat us in OT in a game with a playoff like atmosphere.
    The lakers were swept by the spurs.
    The warriors managed to take the spurs to 6 games.
    The rockets barely managed to take the thunder to 6 without one of their franchise players.
    The thunder got beat in 5 games against a team that got swept by the spurs.

The warriors have a better roster than us. The only reason we gave them trouble in the regular season is because: 1) our two best players are guards and their 2 worst defenders are guards, 2) they have no one to stop harden, 3) we played all of our games against them when they went cold and when we were hot (especially from three)

After harden got injured again and went cold in the regular season they blew us out. They have the better team. Just because they beat denver doesnt mean we would have.

12. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

I like how people can make predictions and present them as absolutes.

13. heypartner

I never said we would have beaten Denver.

I said I would have been able to go to every game, and my cfnet friends in Houston would have had a seat to every game here, who could make it.

And I had a hookup for a luxury box at Pepsi Center.

Say what you want...if we would have drawn Denver,,,cfnet would have had a luxury box playoff game for the first time in history.

sit down.

14. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Let it go. He's gone. He was that good. Hell I'm still butthurt about losing Scola but I'm not making threads about it. He was an undersized, jump shooting PF who couldn't rebound or defend. And I'm not talking about Scola. At least Luis had a post game.

15. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

More PT for the youngsters, Garcia played well, we'll see what TRob can get us. PPat is not a championship caliber starter, didn't do much in Sacto.

16. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

You guys overvalue him. Even Sacremento had him on the bench. He's a tweener. Too big to be a good SF and too small to be a good PF.

17. heypartner

cool. I'm with you.

So, here's a question just between me and you:

what's the better move in your history of moves:

amnestying Scola for nothing
    or trading PPatt for a rookie who gets you nothing more that PPatt would at any trading year?

Morey made the trade because he thought at the worst TRob would be easier to dump this summer for something without taking on too much salary. We shall see.

btw: for y'all watching at home....Carl Herrera still has not repped me for my efforts in this thread. b****.

#57 heypartner, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

he's a taker. not a giver. That ungrateful ****

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Sometimes "givers" enjoy the most pleasure. :grin:

Sorry I'm on a plane bored outta my mind.

1 person likes this.
  20. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Plain and simple, this was a bad trade for us for THIS YEAR.

OKC was chosen to beat us (obviously), but if you look at what we needed (rebounding, easy jumpers, decent bigs besides Omer) in a few of those close games that could have been ours, the series may have been different.

Can you imagine if PatPat could have pushed Perk out of the way so Chandler could have defended that 3 in time, instead of being illegally held?:eek:

Pat Pat would have made a HUGE difference in the OKC series. How hard was it for one of our bigs to just hit a jumper or score? Oh wait, we don't have a big that can shoot a jumper consistently. :( Bless his heart, but Omer hasn't developed that, and Greg Smith played like a D-Leaguer.

How many times was Ibaka able to pick and pop? We couldn't counteract that because of our player personnel.

Looking at this trade long term, maybe it would have been a good deal, but Morey is already trying to trade TRob, who was the centerpiece of the trade. We'll never see what he could have been for the Rockets, if he's traded. IMO, he's another Jordan Hill, a guy who was drafted way too high, has some potential, but won't show results until much later on...and those results will not correspond to his drafting position.

The only "bright spot" in the trade was Francisco (Yes, I credit myself for knowing this before he played his first game for us. Check my posting record. Been following him his entire career because of that "no fear-nice form" jumper :p)

The greatest impact that came from this trade was that the Rockets revitalized Francisco Garcia's career. This offseason, my dude is going to get another contract. If he would have rotted on the SAC bench, he may very well have been out of the league. Good for him for taking his opportunity and absolutely rocking it on a national tv spectrum.

And with all that he offered our team, Morey hasn't shown any intention of resigning him. Yes, I'm sure we could find another shooter. However, Francisco is different because he WANTS to play here, he will come for cheap and he is a leader in the lockerroom. We need those type of guys as this team grows.

Carlos Delfino, our other awesome shooter, admittedly prefers to not talk but to show leadership through his actions. That's fine and all, but a young core needs a vet that will talk. Garcia is still somewhat young and offers all of that. I hope Morey gives him some consideration.

Someone mentioned that we wouldn't have seen the emergence of Beverly if we didn't trade TD. This is partially true, but I recall Beverly beginning to take TD's minutes even before the trade. His emergence would have happened regardless because he is a better offensive player.

TD was severely underappreciated by this board. Yes, at times, his shooting absolutely SUCKED. He was streaky, but dare I type it, the LOF made it out like he was the second coming of Rafer Alston.

What I liked about TD was that even when his offensive game was off, he NEVER stopped playing the type of defense that coaches love. He was always up close and personal and never gave a guard an easy time, from the inbound to bringing it into the set, TD played defense like a boss, and so many of "you" forget that.

Luckily, Morey found something in Beverly, but TD's defense and streaky shooting (if on) could have been valuable.

Another thing that comes to mind with this trade, in hindsight, is the perception of the Rockets' loyalty. I have nothing to back this up with other than articles, player quotes and Morey continually referring to players as ASSETS. :rolleyes:

But, I think the Rockets need to build up a reputation of caring more about their players in the long-term. To me, some of Morey's moves were "dirty" because of their timing, the contract given before and the fact that these players were traded for "potential" almost every time. We can go down a list of players that Morey "loved" and then traded for garbage.

You begin to wonder if players around the league are becoming fearful to play for us because they know Morey will trade a proven talent for a guy that hasn't done anything substantial, or lets be honest, sometimes, hot garbage.

I know all of Morey's so-called "moves" help to land James Harden, which is great. (Though, I doubt that every move had a connection to that trade).

The process that got him there though seemed somewhat shady to some of the previous core that helped the overall progression of the team. (I'm not naming names because that will open up a war :))

More than anything, I wish Morey would have held off on the Trob trade until the offseason, even with Cisco's reemergence, because I am one of the few that believes the Rockets would have been a higher seed with PatPat's offense and more competitive against OKC.

Love my fellow Rockets fans though :grin: