1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A question that facinates me...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by A-Train, Jan 6, 2000.

1. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Why DOES Bryce Drew wipe the bottom of his shoes?? No, seriously, I'm not trying to rag on him or anything. He's a damn good basketball player, but is there a reason he does this??

I mean, does he do it because he wants to get more grip on the bottom of his shoes?? Hey Bryce, news flash...

You get a new pair of shoes every freaking night, you tool!!!

I mean, heck, it's the freaking NBA!! They literally have mountains and mountains of shoes in every single training room...He could go into the training room during HALFTIME and get a new pair of shoes if he wanted...He's not in some two bit operation like the Continental Basketball Association where, god forbid, you have to wear the same pair of shoes for an entire WEEK...I know for a fact that the grip on MY shoes doesn't wear out after wearing them for two hours, so that can't be the reason he wipes the bottom of his shoes...It must be some weird habit that can only be controlled through intense psychiatric counseling...

Actually, there is another reason that I'm concerned about Drew's shoe wiping. I'm concerned for the kids. You see, Bryce Drew starts wiping the bottom of his shoes. Well, let's say that some little kid wearing his Bryce Drew jersey is watching his favorite basketball player perform this peculiar act. The kid very well can't go down to foot locker and buy the new Bryce Drew sneakers, so he does the next best thing, wiping the bottom of HIS sneakers...

So, this kid goes out to the local park to wipe the bottom of his shoes to his heart's desire. Well, shortly before stepping onto the court, he steps into some...well, let's just say, some "doggy doo doo" He reaches up, wipes his left shoe.....WHEW!! No problem....He reaches up, and wipes his right.........EWWWWWW!!! I can't even THINK about it!!

Bryce, I love ya man....You have great handles, good court vision, an excellent jumper, and you've contributed much to the Rockets this season...If you're reading this, though, PLEASE stop the shoe wiping, bro!! If not for me, then do it for the kids, huh??

A-Train

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

dust on hardwood is slippery.

most players step on the wet towel on the sideline though.

Someone said earlier that they saw Hamilton do the truly disgusting thing of licking his palm before wiping the shoe...then again...then again.

3. popeye

popeye Member

A Train

Simple explanation (I hope it was a serious quetion): the bottom of the shoe, the sole, builds up a "chaff" that when combind with the powdered rosin that you see players rub on their hands (at the timer's table,usually), give them a more surer grip when they handle the ball.

The "chaff" is a kinda combination between factory powder (found on all rubber soled shoes, including the ones you wear), floor dust, and residue rubber that sloughs off as they break in the new soles.

You will see the routine of rosin bag/dust at the table, scuffing the shoe sole, powdering the hands on the bpottom of the shoe, then wetting the finger tips (to reduce some of the powder on the tips) by several players on the Rockets as well as other teams.

Cheers.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Anyone that plays the game would never ask this question.

[​IMG]

Just go to the local YMCA, you will see everyone wiping the bottom of their shoe for better traction.

DaDakota

5. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Exactly as DaDakota and Popeye mentioned, it gives the players better grip, firmer traction and overall sense of comfort. We always do it before stepping into a game, as you the last thing you want is to slip on an uncontested breakaway. [​IMG]

And in the competitive world that is the NBA, the players need every advantage they can get. Man, I'm really starting to feel for Bryce, the guy works so hard, yet someone will always find something to rag on him for.

Azim da Dream

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Sorry, Dakota...I've been playing recreational basketball for about seven years now on both outdoor and indoor courts, and I have never once wiped the bottom of my shoes...

Maybe I'm weird?? Maybe that's the reason I haven't been hitting my jumper lately??

I don't remember reading the "shoe wiping" chapter in Basketball For Dummies

Oh well....thanks for the tip, I guess...

A-Train

[This message has been edited by A-Train (edited January 06, 2000).]

7. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Yall are missing the point I was trying to make earlier. The man is constanly wiping the bottom of his shoe WHILE THE BALLS IN PLAY! I know it's kinda stupid to look for, but watch tonights game, and you'll see him doing it while the ball is in play. It's no joking matter, and their is people out there who can help, and people who have overcome the problem. I know for one Woody Allen use to wipe his shoe during pick-up games at the YMCA, but Bryce Drew aint no dang Woody Allen man!

8. popeye

popeye Member

Well just to clarify:

The towel rubbing is to remove any and all wet or oily substances you might have picked up in lockerroom and runways.

The shoe scuffing is the scoring of the rubber soles to improve traction and provide some "dust" as mentioned.

{ I know this is giving more credence than maybe a fairly light subject deserves, but what the hell, the guy asked and we all wanted to be clear on the answer. Besides, slow office day today. Oops, there goes the boss!}

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]