1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A pick-and-roll set the Rockets recently added – now a go-to play

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jan 21, 2015.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Hey y'all,

thought I might share this with you good people.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7gMxGTNw3UU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rockets added this set a little over a month now. Now they run it virtually every game, often multiple times, to the point where they've started running counters/variations after time-outs to throw teams off.

Beverley has done pretty well overall, but he's always looking to drive, something smart teams have & will take advantage of by going under the picks, forcing the Rockets to make plays that they otherwise would not have to make.
    (I cut those possession out, but they usually lead to [stagnant] Howard post-ups or Harden being forced to improvise on the perimeter).

It'll be interesting to see if/when the Rockets will address this by eventually using Harden as the ball-handler.
    A certain Slovenian PG might do, too. :)

I'll upload some more Rockets offense in the coming weeks/months, though not every set will warrant a new thread.
    That said, if you do care for more of this stuff, you can stay up to date via YouTube or Twitter.

#1 HMMMHMM, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    10 people like this.
  2. basketballholic

Very relevant and thread worthy. Props. Need a lot more of these threads.

3. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Threads that lie? McHale has no strategy :cool:

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

But why would Memphis trade Beno Udrih to us?

5. omgTHEpotential

Wouldn't mind Udrih at all.

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Very interesting, so this is how we generate offense without using Harden? Also, it seems that this is an excellent play to neutralize a paint defender (when Bev is able to drive)

Thanks!

7. seeingred

seeingred Member

this is good content. Thanks for the work.

8. omgTHEpotential

Awesome post HMMMHMM. More please!

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

HORNS! Yeah, someone like Dragic (or Lawson) would be great with this PNR. :)

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Post the high screen for Harden play, the one where he attempts a bounce pass to a screening 7-footer 1.5 steps inside the 3pt line and turns it over 97% of the time.

11. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Thanks, I remember your excellent thread from last year showing various Rockets plays. This is all very educational since most ClutchFans believe the Rockets almost never run plays.

12. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Very cool. Most teams try to force PnR's to the baseline so the initial screen isn't too much of a threat. The trailing screen that frees the ball-handler to drive into the lane is what causes all the havoc as the defender rarely see's it coming.

I like it.

13. hakeemthagreat

Yep. He does this little ugly half azzed underhand bounce bass that almost NEVER gets to the bigman he's throwing it too. Wish they would burn this play and never bring it back

14. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

This is called BASS-KIT-BALLL

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's been very successful. Surprised they don't run it with Harden as the ball-handler more often, but it definitely works.

16. joeson332

joeson332 Member

nice work my friend. Saw alot of Harden/ Howard PNR's early in the Indiana game. Would sure love to see more of that (and obviously more DMO in the post) but I can dream...

17. alethios

alethios Member

I've seen him run PnR a number of times, but it's not the same because he is looking to also create his own shot.

18. bmd

bmd Member

This must be a figment of my imagination. jtr told me the Rockets don't run any plays...

1 person likes this.
  19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I don't know why teams still go over the screen to defend Bev. He's a poor pull up jump shooter. He always looks to drive with the pick.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Thanks HMMMHMM. I'm a fan of your videos.

Confronted with this, he would say "it's a set; not a play. I don't have time to explain this to you but those of us with basketball brilliance see this plain as day."

1 person likes this.