1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A look at the Rockets while pickeling my body and mind. And criticism to boot!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jtr, Nov 17, 2012.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

OK. I am sitting here fermenting in a sea of significant single malt scotch. Life could be worse. I thought I would address expectations. Yes expectations. The probabilistic and statistical out come of the Rockets current season. And a logical one.

No, the Rockets are not a playoff team. The Vegas over/under is 35 or so wins. So, given that Vegas is the smartest money around, and given an approximate normal distribution the chance of the Rockets making the playoffs (with a projected win total of 35) is ~6%.

No, contrary to current opinion the coaching staff is not stupid. Sorry you are not the Einstein of the NBA. The Rockets coaching staff earns (by my estimation) $2.6 million a year. Morey is not stupid enough to employee idiots. And yes, Finch and Sampson are Morey's employee's.

Yes, the coaching staff understands the dynamics of the Harden and Lin relationship. And yes they understand that playing TD in overtime jeopardizes a win. But do they really care? Hell, I don't know and you do not either. But I would bet that playing TD in overtime gave Morey needed information.

Yes. PF is our weakest position. KL and LA are not available for any price. Pray that D-Mo or Jones rise to the occasion. In the current offense I (ignorant as I am I would want a PF that can drain a 3 and Atlanta does not have one) do not know what free agent best fits the Rockets needs. I just hope that Morey does.

Nothing happens in the Rockets organization that Morey (and by extension Les) is not cognitive of. Morey has made it his Rockets. Do not blame the coaching staff. Blame Morey. Finch and Sampson are Morey's employees, not McHales.

To be honest I hope to never ever see another race based post. They are demeaning to the organization and the fan base. If you think that the coaches project color onto their players you should go and get into a white hooded garment. Burn crosses. Whatever. Just get the **** away from Clutchfans. I grew in the South long ago and I have left those prejudices behind me. So should you.

And above all remember that the Rocket's organization does not care about your post. Do not send messages to Les. He will never ever read them. Morey could care less. We are sort of an approximation of Watson to the ever perspective Holmes. Trying to tease the inner workings of an obscure landscape pictured through a distorted lens. But no matter how hard you try you will never be accurate.

Do not post a player's name and joke in the thread topic. At this level they all are beyond joke. This is a collection of the best BB talent in the world, and I doubt that anyone of you could take on the the end of the bench of any team and not be embarrassed. And yes, they all would rule college.

LOL I blame it on the scotch.

2 people like this.
  2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think PG is the weekest position... by far.

3. langal

langal Contributing Member

I heard Tim Legler in an interview once and he mentioned that subconscious racism totally exists. He knew he had a much shorter leash than equivalent black players.

Larry Bird was always dumbfounded that opposing coaches would put the weakest and whitest defenders on him.

Does Kelvin Sampson hate Asians? I would say not. Is he susceptible to biased "eye tests"? probably. we'tre talking toney douglas here. He was below a 65 year old Mike Bibby on the depth chart.

4. djimi

djimi Member

Nice take, basically logical thinking. Btw, hope its a bottle of Macallan 21!!! LOL!!

5. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

[​IMG]

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

A 20 year old Lagavulan (sp? and honestly I am in no shape to wonder into the kitchen to inspect the bottle). I pickle in style!

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Unfortunately your question, while completely valid, is truly beyond analysis. But NBA team analysts are used to taking into consideration hype and players balling out of their minds. I may be giving them too much credit though.

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Point taken, but that was 25+ years ago. And by the time Bird had 2 years experience I think that the whole NBA knew who he was.

I hate to admit it, but there is some grain of truth in your question about underlying racial bias. We honestly will never know. But I do hope that in a decade that question will not be relevant. On the other side though, I do not believe that Morey's statistical analysis of players has a radio button for race.

9. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

I agree Kevin Love and Aldridge will never be let go, and I have been saying play Jones and DMO. You already know what you have in Patterson. I am reallly shocked that Morris is getting playing time with suspect defense and rebounding it is really no wonder that Asick gets 16 rebounds a game.

10. split41

split41 Member

No offense, but your making these NBA coaches seem like untouchable basketball masterminds, they're not, they're human.

I don't think they did know that playing TD in overtime would jeopardise a win, Sampson was gunning for the win. The fact of the matter is, he thinks TD is better than Lin defensively and that Lin's offensive strength is negligible, which is evident by how much playing time TD has gotten since Sampson has become Head Coach. That is an error of judgement, and bad coaching. I have nothing against TD (except that he sucks at bball), but he's not better than Lin.

Look, I understand these guys are coaches for a reason, but there are really only a few times when the coaching is so nuanced, and they have this grand overarching scheme, that devoted bball fans would be not be able to pick up on it.

The coaching staff have been misusing players, you can put this down to lack of a preseason, new team, youngness or whatever, but the fact is the coaching has not been good.

I don't know what's going on, I'd like if there was some grand scheme and all of our players become superstars, but I don't think that is the case. We follow the games, we see the plays, we see the rotations. It's more likely it's bad coaching than some crazy scheme.

1 person likes this.
  11. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Right now Morris is putting up the second best scoring and rebounding stats on the team, and his defensive rating is higher than Patterson's. You can argue exactly how valid those stats are, but they certainly indicate he deserves to play.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

That is your opinion and I totally respect it. You certainly could be right. But any large organization will reinforce correct decisions and punish those who make bad decisions. I have been there in the middle of developing billion dollar products, and the organization is not forgiving anything. You do not get sacked for one bad decision, but you get reprimanded in a very organizational critique. Not pleasant. And someone is keeping score.

My point is that the Rockets are currently Morey's organization. For better or for worse. And if I were his employee I would not be venturing far from his spreadsheets. Not if I wanted to keep my job.

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I certainly agree. Morris, IMHO is going to be around for a long time. He is useful, versicle and completely competent. Despite what we all thought in the pre-season.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Rockets don't need to play DMo or Jones. They need to develop DMo and Jones. I have no clue why Rockets fans continue to equate the two. I mean, did Carl Landry stop developing his game by sitting out for half a season? What about Brooks? Morris?

Just because a player is not playing in front of your TV screen, doesn't mean he's not improving. And the opposite is also true. Luther Head played each and every game as a Rocket. And how did he look year after year? Exactly the same.

1 person likes this.
  15. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Meh you speak the truth, points well taken. I just repped you.

16. just a word

just a word Member

I commend your taste, that one's a personal favorite too.

17. micactus

micactus Member

Someone says that the OP is basically logical thinking, so help me out here understanding the logic.

He is saying that the coaching staff are millionaires so they are not stupid. But, how much does Lin earn? How much does TD earn? If someone is earning big money so he must be smart coach playing the poor TD benching the multimillionaire Lin?

So coach is hired by Morey, and Morey isn't stupid enough to pay idiots big money. But Morey traded for Lin for bigger money? Don't tell me that it was just for the 'Asian Market' because you would be implying that Morey isn't always the decision maker, so he might not have anything to do with the coach hiring.

And you say you grew up in the south and left the prejudices long ago? Why? How so? Coz you suffered from that prejudice, or were you on the other side of that prejudice? And you are banning people from airing their opinions now on this forum and you are kicking them out? coz you are

drunk?

convenient excuse.

1 person likes this.
  18. just a word

just a word Member

I agree with this, mostly.

The caveats I have is that I don't think that any of the coaching staff is consciously racist and cruel; but I do think that there's subconscious racism at least on some level. Sampson in his interview talked about Lin having to work against point guards bigger and stronger than him; but at 6'3" and 200lbs, Lin is actually one of the bigger point guards, and I think there may be only ~5 PG's who are actually taller/heavier but I could be wrong. Lin himself mentioned that he was confused at the 'surprisingly athletic' saying, "why is it a surprise?"

I also think that the coaching staff is fallible, cue Sampson's brainfart in not subbing in Asik when they were jumping for a rebound, and almost not subbing in Lin so he had to call two timeouts in a row. I'm not even going to talk about the OT thing, because that may or may not be basic on actual logic (flawed and biased though I think that logic is).

What I do hope is that Morey, like you said, will be in their ears about these failures. And I'm sure Les would be in Morey's ears because he's on record as not even wanting a rebuilding team to lose/tank.

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I agree with you. But the bias can be alleged, but never proven. Short of something like using the N word. So we as fans should not venture there. Sampson, with his native American heritage, can probably speak volumes about the racism that I, as a Wasp, have never seen. He has coached basketball for decades and I believe that he sees nothing but an on court asset any more. Can someone hide who he is for decades in the media spotlight? I tend to believe the answer is no and please do not disillusion me.

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I have been nothing if not civil. I have no power to ban or kick out anyone on this forum, and I have not mentioned any poster by name. Not because I have not seen the posts alleging racism, but because I view it as a passing, ephemeral event. Hopefully.

And why do I have to either be a subject or a propagator of racism? Why cannot I just be a confused teenage observer? I hope that if I had actually seen physical attacks I would have acted valiantly, but I did not see any.