1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Little Nostalgia

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by platypus, Mar 7, 2013.

1. platypus

platypus Member

I'm sure this video has been posted already. But i just wanted to spur a discussion that brought back some good memories.

Remember the beautiful offense we ran two seasons ago? That team started a 6'6 center but could compete with ANY team on any given night. The only flaw we had was that we lacked a player who could get his own shot. (I still remember the Chicago game when bram miller chocked away the win)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dwhaW2nVVcg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Imagine if we ran this offense with James Harden instead of Kevin martin. We have the passing bigs to pull it off.

Oh and remember when we played with swagger?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qL8JIVrWUEA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Man i miss the chuckwagon :(

So I ask, how good do you think our record would be if we ran this offense? I'd say we would be probably the 5th or 6th seed (instead of fighting for the 8th spot) and a dominant big man from contention. James harden eliminates the major flaw in adleman's system, and this offense would allow us to be both a half-court and fast break team.

Corner sets IMO are excellent ways of creating half court offense, and would work beautifully in the playoffs too.

What do you guys feel?

2. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

The only nostalgia from old rockets stuff that is truly worth the admission is Olajuwon highlights, and the T-Mac of old.

3. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Nah, I'd disagree with this. I loved the chemistry and fluidity on offense from 2009-2011 and loved Adelman's system. He used players like KMart, AB, Lowry, Budinger very well. Plus those teams were so lovable to me, such underdogs and hard-workers and good people.

4. RoxOn RoxOff

RoxOn RoxOff Member

The current team on the other hand is filled with entitled prima donna lottery picks who doesn't want to work.

Wait, I think that's only Royce White.

5. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

I became a fan of the Rockets during 08-09 season and part of that was due to Adelman's smooth offensive system and the way he utilized everyone, especially that center position.

I read somewhere here that Chris Finch knew most of Adelman's playbook and was going to implement it when McHale took over, but instead we got read and react, presumably because we didn't have the personnel to pull it off.

I hope by next season we have some of Adelman's playbook in place.

6. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Rick Adelman would do wonders for this team. He's a proven winner, with or without a great team.

7. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Lol! I love the current team too, but I still miss Scola, Dragic, Hayes, Budinger, Martin, Camby, Lowry, Battier, etc. Glad we got Brooks back!

But seriously, that offense in that video was really something to watch, that was beautiful but I'm not sure this would work extremely well with the Rockets. That system works extremely well with good jump shooters (Lowry, Dragic, Lin, Martin, Budinger) and while Lin, Harden, Parsons are solid shooters I don't think they are as good marksmen as the former.

As a result, I would expect to continue to see more fast break scores mixed with Harden ISO's. Still has been successful so far, so it is what it is.

8. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Beautiful offense - could work with Donatas on the elbow, but it's undesirable as it would slow down the Rockets pace tremendously, pretty much ensuring that the defense is always set and ready. We will probably resort to something like this in the playoffs when our fast break points are limited. The multiple pick and roll plays that we run now can be just as pretty (the better executed ones anyway).

On a side note: all the Rockets in those videos will have a special place in my heart, but props to Morey because the talent level on the team now is so much better than just 1 year ago. Just an incredibly fruitful summer, cashing in all those poker chips we had collected.

1 person likes this.
  9. platypus

platypus Member

I feel that we can create a hybrid of that offense if we are given a full offseason to groom our personell. I'm under the assumption that we are running our current offesnse because james got here so late and McHale didn't have enough time to construct a good playbook. Hopefully by this time next year our offense is much more flexible and able to utilize all our player's strengths.

I'm also hoping that we sign Dwight in the off season and implement an offense akin to what the magic ran when they made the finals. Again IMO the only thing that offense lacked was a elite shot creator like Harden.

I just don't feel that this type of offense is good for the long term health of James. Its already been a 3/4th of the season and the guy looks hobbled and i get a mini hart attack every-time he falls to the floor. I just don't want to see another T-Mac injury situation.

10. DBRox

DBRox Contributing Member

I'm liking our group of guys now and I'm excited for the future because I see so much upside with this group but I do miss our old core too and I miss Chuck Wagon... every time we have been to a game since he left I keep looking up for his wagon jingle on the monitor.

11. jbasket

jbasket Member

You liked mediocrity?