1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Few Thoughts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D-Jay, Jul 1, 2000.

1. D-Jay

D-Jay New Member

Unlike a few posters, I feel confident about this team (with a few exceptions of course). It may
    be wise to remember that we did pretty well against some pretty tough teams last year ... we split
    with the Lakers, Portland, and beat some elite teams down the stretch (such as Utah, Phoenix,
    and Seattle)....all without any serious veteran leadership (Chuck and the Dream had little impact
    in those victories). We were a team definitely going through transition. However, it really
    seemed as though the team had learned how to win the close games near the second have of the
    season. We must remember that the main nucleus of our team (Francis, KT, Cat, Anderson, &
    Cato) probably average roughly 1 ½ to 2 years of NBA experience - TOTAL.

I think what is important over the next few months is to look at what piece/s of the puzzle, via
    free-agency, will assist us in making the playoffs this coming season. I don’t want to see us tank
    for better draft positioning next year. I want this team to prove that they can win...period. Do
    you think that stud free-agents look for teams that lose? I doubt it. Do I think that we are going
    to go after Hill, McGrady, or Duncan? No! But, I think there are some serious possibilities. I
    like the idea of getting someone that can play the four or three/four. Like many of you, I like
    Croshere...but, I also think someone like Maurice Taylor, Brian Grant, or even Thomas could
    help this team get to the next level ... and I think we could realistically make that happen.

Lets look at our competition in the West.

• Portland is getting older (if you like their youth, I would take ours over theirs anyday)
    • Seattle is in serious trouble (what’s Payton going to do, a player on Prozac, Lewis may be
    gone)
    • Sacramento is questionable (they play no “D”, have an out of control point, and also some
    serious free-agent questions in the present-to-near future)
    • The Clippers - well, they are the Clippers (some good picks this draft...but are far too
    young to compete)
    • San Antonio is screwed (Duncan will most likely be heading to Orlando. If he stays in
    SA, he will be the only threat)
    • Pheonix is good, but are lacking height and bulk (depends what happens with their draft)
    • Dallas will be better than last year (but, I like our odds against them)
    • Vancouver will be better after this draft (but, they have no history of winning)
    • Utah is dying slowly (enough said)
    • I don’t see Denver or Golden State improving
    • The Champion Lakers are the best team in the West by far (I take that back, they have one
    of “the” most dominant players in the league...if not “THE” ...plus Kobe...the rest are role
    players)

I can envision our roster being:

Francis
    Mooch
    Anderson
    Cat
    Walt / Croshere / Collier / Langhi (you pick three)
    Croshere / Collier / Taylor / Thomas (NY) / KT / Los (you pick two + IR spot - 1 FA total)
    Cato, Hakeem, T. Washington, Pig (pick three + IR spot)

I like these possibilities.

Sorry for the long post from a rookie.

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

a square AND bullets.

wow

just dont ever talk about getting Kurt Thomas again. No no no.

there are good points to the teams you listed too. And the Rockets definently have their bad points. Whose problems will be fixed? With a little luck, hopefully the Rocks in a couple of years.

------------------
    No signature for you!

3. whoopity dooper

I read on one of these posts, yesterday, where some idiot, "so-called expert", believes now we are 2 years back from our rebuilding stage......

YOu are never more than 3 years away from a championship today......

with all the free agents around....

If TIm and Grant both chose to go to LA CLips
    you don't think it would take them 5 years do you...or even if TIm went there by himself, with the draft picks they have now...

THey would probably win it all this year...

all the ROckets need to do is re-sign Mobley.
    and get rid of BULLARD and Walt.....and

BRING HOME RASHARD LEWIS.

and then draft wisely and by another year they are going places....they will make the playoffs this year.

Stevie is in a zone, nobody can touch

peace

------------------

4. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

Nice post D-Jay!
    Despite the improvements by Dallas, Vancouver, and the Clippers. i have reason to belive that the Rockets will be ahead of tem this year. even if they don't make the playoffs. Though, im a firm believer that the Rockets are playoff contenders this season. Tanking was never in Rudy T's book. we could've tanked last season, but instead we saved our best for the final month of season when it was too late. By the way, to me, if San Antonio has a healthy Duncan playing, they take my vote for winning it all back this year. Who else can gurad Shaq but Robinson and Duncan together?

------------------
    Ostertag for Three!!!!!