1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A few thoughts about prospects and our "style"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Jul 10, 2018.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

So is it just me , or for the first time in a while do was have some interesting young players ?

Qi, Hartenstein, Melton ( in particular ) , and even maybe Duval look like players that could have a real chance at breaking into the NBA. They all have their warts, but the potential ( and more importantly some of the play ) is there.

Now maybe, these kids are just impressing me because i need to look for some silver lining given the depletion of our team. Furthermore, none of these could reasonably slot in replacements for Ariza or Luc. But , maybe thats not the end of the world.

Why do we want to replace Ariza and Luc ? Its because they played a very key role in executing our team style last season. The role of a wing defender who can nail 3's was pretty important. That defensive gameplan was on point last year and that role was critical in executing it.

I think it would have been next to impossible to find players to replace those 2 ... and keeping both was a risk.

1) Ariza just isnt worth 15 million at his age. Think about how he's looked the last few seasons . Then think about how much clint improved this year, how good luc looked playing next to Harden and Paul . Then think about how good PJ looked playin next to harden and paul. Then think about how passably good Green looked playing next to harden and paul. Think about Andersons play during the regular season ... how it was way better than before. Finally think about gordon in our 3 guard lineup. Everyone looked way better than before because we added paul and we have 2 HOF level shot creators on the floor. Now think about Ariza .... He didnt look any-much better this year. Adding Paul should have catapulted his level of play like everyone elses ..... he is on the decline.

2) Luc i love, but maybe the shoulder injury scared us off.

There are probably not comparable wings " that we know of" out in the market ... But then again Morey kinda pulled Luc out of nowhere ... maybe he can hit again.

This brings me back to the young players ... Maybe they dont fill a need to play the style of play we played last year... but maybe we can play a different style this year. Maybe we play harden at the 3 more and use our 3 guard lineup more frequently because Melton can provide 20 minutes a game. Maybe Qi or Hartenstein can be an improvement over Nene's production last year and we dont have to go small at the 5 so much .

I think there are interesting moves the rockets can make still. If we end up with Melo , its a high risk/ high reward move. I have a feeling we are continuing to up our risk profile in hopes of finding unexpected talent and production. Along with Melo coming in as a wildcard ... we might chose to give more PT to rookies/ young players to see if they cant find some daylight.

I think MCW is another wildcard.

At the end of the day , this is not last years rockets. But that doesnt mean that this team can't form its own identity and compete. It will be a different style. You can win if you can play your game and impose your will on the opponent.

topfive, oelman44, lw17 and 1 other person like this.
  2. brosef

brosef Member

It’s just you lol

Hopefully one of this years picks can turn into a capela or parsons level pick.

3. radiohunk

radiohunk Member

Thanks for your optimism. We really need it now.

Looks like we are going to have to make do. Until we can get rid of Anderson’s contract we are strapped and it looks like Tillman does not want to pay luxury tax.

Boy did Les get out at the right time!

lw17 likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They are still going to win around 60 games (projected) but the style will surely change a tad.

5. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Replace anderson with kings zach Randolph

6. oelman44

oelman44 Member

As someone who's been watching, I don't think so. Way better young talent than we've had for last couple years... Melton really looks like he can be a NBA player already.

Qi's also making great strides it seems. People joke like he is Brian Scalabrine but he has potential. His body paired with his skill-set is really unique, and he seems like he'd be a good fit in our offense if he can keep filling out and improving

Seems like Chinanu has become somewhat of a forgotten man though

7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I don't expect anything more than a capela or parsons level player ... the fact is that this is the first time in several years where we have had a player look like he could be that good .