1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Father's Joy

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Mattj, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Mattj

Mattj Member

I'll preface my comments with a massive thank you to Clutch, for giving me his blessing to post this.

Briefly, I have a big charity event, The 5th Annual Father's Joy Golf Classic coming up May 13th at Wildcat. I myself am a terrible golfer, but the cause is very close to my heart. I post this here on the board knowing that many of you are Rockets fans like me. Although golf might not be your thing, you might have interest in bidding on a couple of Rockets related silent auction items including a private lunch for 2 with Rockets GM Daryl Morey and a private lunch for 2 with Jeff Van Gundy. On behalf of my family, I would consider clicking on the link and reading about our journey a huge favor. Thanks in advance for your time, Matt Jackson.

http://www.sports790.com/pages/mattandadam.html?article=8491136

1 person likes this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good luck on your fundraiser. I would stop by if I was in Houston.

3. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Matt...so sorry for your loss. You and your wife will make wonderful parents...when that time comes. I'm really impressive how you handled the news and your reaction. It takes two strong people to deal with a challenge that you guys were faced with.

I would love to attend...but I live out of town...and would be practically impossible. Good luck, though. I hope you guys rake in the dough.

edit: I supposed I could monitor/participate in the silent auction. Maybe if I win the lunch with JVG, he could pick me up in his beatup Honda. :grin:
    Silent auction link: http://www.biddingforgood.com/auction/AuctionHome.action?vhost=fathersjoy

4. Mattj

Mattj Member

Thanks for reading our story. Awareness is a huge obstacle. Really appreciate it.

5. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Sorry to hear about your loss, Matt. This looks like a cool event, wish i could attend.

6. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Great work Matt, our church will donate and I will bid on something-- have to work that Friday so I won't be able to play golf. Thanks to you and Clutch.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I live in the Dallas area and love listening to you and Adam in the morning. I think the day I became hooked on your show was when I heard you (at least I hope it was you, otherwise I'm about to look like an idiot) doing impersonations of Ed Fowler that had me in tears at work. "Says here...."

Just read your story on the site and had no idea. I wish you and your family happiness and good fortune in the future, especially since you and your station helps make my otherwise painful Dallas sports existence a bit easier.

I would bid, but I'm afraid a lunch with JVG would leave me with bags under my eyes and/or wanting to commit suicide by the time dessert showed up, and Morey would probably have me traded before the 2nd bite claiming I was now his "asset" or my adjusted +/- was too low or something. JK... I probably wouldn't be able to go since I live in Dallas and the only thing I ever used a golf club for was to whack at bugs when I was a kid.

Good luck.

8. SacTown

SacTown Member

They day I got hooked on Matt Jackson was when he was the only one on 610 who stood up to all the Vince Young crazies and called it right on the money that Vince Young was not the correct pick for this franchise. I've been a fan every since that day. Good luck with this Matt.

9. LetsPartyBud

LetsPartyBud Member

Man all that stuff is a little too expensive for my recently-graduated-unemployed budget, would love to bid on some of that stuff. Good luck Matt we love listening to you on the radio, thoughts and prayers are with you

10. Mattj

Mattj Member

Totally understand. I consider it a huge favor just reading our story. Means alot to my family. Thanks again!

Just a reminder, if you're into the golf thing, today is the last day to qualify for a drawing for you and a guest to be my guest (great seats) at an Astros game of your choice. Food and drinks included. We'll do it up strong! Just register yourself or a foursome here http://fathersjoy.org/golf/sponsorship.php
    We only have 8 team spots remaining so I think we can sell this puppy out!

By the way, can't believe Lunch for 2 with Rockets GM Daryl Morey is not in higher demand as much as you guys vent (positively and negatively) :grin:.
    This is your one chance ever to pull a Frank Costanza (How could you trade Jay Buhner?!?!) Rockets style. If you're interested, www.fathersjoy.org/auction

Thanks again to everyone who has read our story!

1 person likes this.
  11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Mr. J, sir, :eek: Please explain when bidding ends and what's minimum, etc.

You put some info here, but not the important stuff for us poor peeps. I don't play golf at all, but I know plenty of people who do and could probably bid on those golf items.

I thought it was a golf tournament... or... is it? :confused: How much is playing in that?

Not enough time to read through all the blog posts, etc.

12. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I'd love to see rhester and DMorey going heavy into The Book of Revelation.

13. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

The current bid for lunch with the GM god is only $110.00

If it stays that low close to the end I will ask the church if I can use church funds to try for it, and of course tell the church I going to be talking Bible during the lunch (wait that would be lying, I would be talking Rockets for 60 minutes+:))

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A great cause and I wish you all the best for its success. Is there an anonymous way to contribute?

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Matt

Please email me through the board.

16. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Maybe rename the thread with Auction for Lunch with DM or JVG. Hopefully that gets more people to check it out.

17. Mattj

Mattj Member

http://www.fathersjoy.org/golf/sponsorship.php

Here's the link to sponsorship. Every donation is a huge help. If you'd like to go through me you can hit me up on my personal email. Just hit me up on the board and I will send you my personal email.

18. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Hmm... if I win the Morey and JVG auctions both, can I have lunch with them at the same time?

I'm scheming over here.

19. Mattj

Mattj Member

There is no minumum for a donation. The auction which can find here. www.fathersjoy.org/auction is fairly self explanatory. A foursome is $550 while an individual can register for $150. Anyone who registers before midnight tonight gets thrown in a drawing for you and a guest to be my guest at an Astros game of your choice (Food and Drinks Included) these are very good seats. To register for the golf tourney go here. http://www.fathersjoy.org/golf/sponsorship.php Swoly-D, if you prefer, being a soccer fan, I can get you and a guest the VIP treatment at a Dynamo game, I can make that happen as well.

20. Mattj

Mattj Member

Ha ha...that would be awesome...and yes, I could make that happen.:grin: